New 1988 FJ62 Owner - Headlight / Horn Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to be a ding a ling but are you sure you checked all the fuses in the fuse box? Your horn and hazards I believe are on the same fuse. Sometimes they look okay but are in fact broken where you can't see them. Get a box of fuses from the local auto shop and go through a replace a few of those old fuses, specifically the fuses in line with your problems. That might be one step on the road to an easy remedy. Short of just totally botched wiring everything should work

Replaced every fuse when I brought it home. Maybe overkill but wanted to make sure it was all new. That was my first thought.

the horn contact is ground, not positive voltage.

Just thought about this but the head lights have a fusible link connecting to the battery terminal. Might want to check that too.

And in case no one has link this yet:

i could kiss you on the mouth right now! Haha let there be light! Looks like there is a weak connection in that fusable link network because the lights flicker on and off when I move it around but we found the culprit! Thank you!

Going to Home Depot now for some new connectors

059A142E-80E2-43F7-93DB-48089687EA4E.jpeg

720AB5C5-2617-4FAD-8F68-9A2AE622DDB9.jpeg

BD1AB4F2-7DA6-4952-8E77-98E6E3830B3F.jpeg

Message @Coolerman He rebuilds them with the factory connector. Does a great job and pretty fast turn around. Just had him rebuild mine two weeks ago as a preventive measure, turned out great. Can’t recommend him enough.

Is there any reason I can’t move these 4 wires into this one ring? I am not to electrical savvy but was hoping I could strip the wire that’s on its last leg down to good usable wire, do the same with the remaining 3 and then move them into either one connector or keep the pairs together in 2 separate connectors. Is this possible or do I have the wrong type of ring?

5669153F-85A1-4E26-B2C0-76F998EA9413.jpeg

image.jpg

Is there any reason I can’t move these 4 wires into this one ring? I am not to electrical savvy but was hoping I could strip the wire that’s on its last leg down to good usable wire, do the same with the remaining 3 and then move them into either one connector or keep the pairs together in 2 separate connectors. Is this possible or do I have the wrong type of ring?

View attachment 2360756

View attachment 2360757

Typically I’d say go for it but you’ll have to strip back the links in order to get good wire and contact. The issue is that I’m fairly sure the visible links are measured to be a certain length. I could be wrong though.

@Coolerman has rebuilt the fusible link and it should be here by the end of the week. Cannot thank him enough for the help. Does anyone know the part number on the black plastic wire connection cover in the picture below? My link was missing it and I'd rather not shrink tube it if I don't have to.

Link.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom