New 100 series owner, quick antenna question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a 2001 Land Cruiser last night, higher miles, 316K but it has pretty much only seen the dealer for repairs its whole life, including plugs, coils, alternator, injector cleaning and power steering flush less than 9K miles ago and regular trans and diff services about every 50K. I was able to find service records going all the way back to 2005.

This is my first 100 but my 4th Toyota SUV, 2 80's and a 4wd Sequioa previously. I have a quick question about the antenna mast. It does not fully retract when driving. It will fully extend with the button but when retracing it stops about 4" short of being fully retracted. It will retract the last bit when I turn the key off but I'd like it to go all the way down when driving so it doesn't accidentally get broken off when going to the car wash or branches on the trail. The dealer put a new mast in it about a year ago but only has seen about 1500 mile since the install.

I too am a relatively new 100 series owner (1998), and after I installed a new stereo with Apple Car Play I realized I did not need the antenna because I was no longer listening to terrestrial radio. I had previously replaced the mast so that it operated properly but I decided to locate the wire running from the radio to the antenna and I installed a little rocker switch near the DC plugs on the lower center console. So now the antenna thinks the radio is always off and it won't deploy at all - until I turn my switch on, at which time the antenna will operate as you originally described.

I too am a relatively new 100 series owner (1998), and after I installed a new stereo with Apple Car Play I realized I did not need the antenna because I was no longer listening to terrestrial radio. I had previously replaced the mast so that it operated properly but I decided to locate the wire running from the radio to the antenna and I installed a little rocker switch near the DC plugs on the lower center console. So now the antenna thinks the radio is always off and it won't deploy at all - until I turn my switch on, at which time the antenna will operate as you originally described.
Thanks for the tips. This truck also has an aftermarket radio and I stream music off of my phone, the last time I listened to the regular radio was probably 2002. I'll probably rig up a switch like you described because seeing the little bit of the mast sticking up while driving is annoying.

Get a GROM, then your music + phone are Bluetooth to the stereo via the CD port on the back, and the antenna always goes completely down when in CD mode.

Get a GROM, then your music + phone are Bluetooth to the stereo via the CD port on the back, and the antenna always goes completely down when in CD mode.
My truck came with an aftermarket Alpine single DIN deck. I don’t know if it has Bluetooth but my iPhone works fine with the USB port it has. I’ll probably do an override switch like Jeff did whenever I upgraded to a double DIN with car play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom