New 100 series owner..got some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and to these vehicles.
Today I just purchased this 2005 LX470 from it's 2nd owner. It needs some work and is a little long in the tooth (380,000 miles). It runs and drives perfect and has been serviced at the dealership every 3 months. The reason it was taken out of daily service was due to the suspension is not working. I found it when I saw it lounging in a driveway for a few weeks. The owner was thinking of donating it (certain death for it) so I gave her $1,500 for it.

Anyways here are some questions I have so I can dive into this project:
*The suspension display on the cluster shows it's in "LO" position with the off button flashing. I looked under the driver's side rocker panel and noticed the height control actuator appears to be leaking fluid. Is there a way to find out if this is the true failure point? I'm toying with converting it to coils but I want to keep the smooth ride and the stability control.

*The sunroof doesn't move. I push the switches and I hear a momentary click and nothing else. Is there a common problem with these?

*The telescoping part of the steering wheel doesn't work. The up and down works perfectly but the in and out doesn't.

Also since I am new to these, what else should I know. I am here to learn and thanks for any help.

IMG_20191111_111552805.jpg

IMG_20191111_111504981.jpg

IMG_20191111_111538546.jpg

Also since I am new to these, what else should I know. I am here to learn and thanks for any help.

And, if it were me, I’d absolutely rip the apparently pretty busted AHC out without a moment’s hesitation....but if you like the AHC concept and are willing to troubleshoot and repair, hats off.

I think you got a great deal. Welcome to Mud. Rip it out. No use throwing away money on a dying system. Hope to find someone parting out a Land Cruiser and get all the parts, shocks, coil springs for the rear and torsion bars for the front.

You will regret getting rid of it. I'd trouble shoot it 1st. If you do decide to walk on the dark side stay oem. Cheaper and the ride is better

Awesome deal! Seems like it needs some TLC, but you are in a great starting place. As you read more posts, you'll realize that AHC-delete is a hot topic. I haven't gotten to that point yet on mine, but my feeling is repair rather than replace. Cost may be similar, but I love to hydraulic suspension. So comfortable, versatile - just a great ride.

- Sunroof: the sunroof motor is very easy to access (just above the garage door opener / sunglass holder area. Might be an easy fix.

- telescoping steering wheel: can't help you there. No clue.

- What else? Replace the heating tees. Many good posts on it. Probably would be smart to do a full fluid flush as well. If you still have the original speakers, they are probably rattling. Pull all the door panels out (Not that hard. many posts) and replace the foam on the speakers. It'll sound great after.

Welcome!

Congrats and welcome to the Hundy club! How rusty is the undercarriage and suspension? If bad, I would replace the AHC. If the prior owner had it krowned every year, then I would troubleshoot the AHC and see if you can get it fixed.

I had a similar problem with my AHC. It ended up that it was leaking in the RR suspension hose just prior to the connection to the top of shock. Was a pain to change, but retaining that ride quality was important to me. The part was $200 cheaper than dealer through partsouq.
You got a steal.
I recommend baseline all fluids 1st and a timing belt pkg with heater T's and upper/lower radiator hoses.
I have a spare Left Rear hydraulic hose if that is the culprit.

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies and help!!

Yeah I will need to get under it tomorrow and look further. I also have a Amazon Techstream coming in the mail today. I will give it a day of diagnostic and if it's too many problems, out will the suspension come.

The rust on this one is not bad at all and it's pretty clean on the underside and frame. I was expecting way worse for 380,000 of salt driving. The old owner used it for her business and must of washed it alot.

IMG_20191117_092829865.jpg

I'm curious what you find on the AHC. If your budget is really low for keeping her running AHC probably doesn't make sense on a $1500 vehicle. It might just need a seal replacement, though, so dive into the basic tests and see where you stand.

Looks pretty good for that many miles!

*Also, @nukegoat An LX newbie posts a pic/thread and you don't mention Night View?! I don't know this world anymore...

I'm curious what you find on the AHC. If your budget is really low for keeping her running AHC probably doesn't make sense on a $1500 vehicle. It might just need a seal replacement, though, so dive into the basic tests and see where you stand.

Looks pretty good for that many miles!

*Also, @nukegoat An LX newbie posts a pic/thread and you don't mention Night View?! I don't know this world anymore...
I was disappointed too but he already bought it. No need to point out that it was probably cheap because it was the dud model without Night View.

Shame.

A proper set of driving lights is all you need for night view.
As for AHC, i would rip it out post haste. At that mileage it is posied to take dump in several different ways, quite possibly not simultaneously.
Still quite a catch at 1500. Congrats

Thank you, I have finally decided to remove the AHC. I went under it and found multiple areas leaking and the system is completely empty. With the miles she has, it's finally time she gets the AHC ripped out. I also have been thinking about when the 4.7 tanks. I need it set up so I can make it a diesel later on in life (looks like it should hold a 4bt pretty easily).

Today I ordered a set of used Landcruiser coils and torsion bars. Now I am trying to figure out shocks. I know I need all those washers and bushings. I am having issues paying $400+ for Bilstien shocks that have the hardware. I know the stealership thinks those washers are made from solid gold, is there any other ways to get those bushings and washers at non brain damage prices?

Last edited:
If you buy aftermarket shocks, they often come with the washers and bushings. I know Dobinsons shocks do; I suspect OME do. Don't know for sure about other brands.

If you go the OEM suspension route, it is possible to mod the washers to work with the round shafts of the non-AHC shocks. Found this out when doing an AHC-ectomy on a friend's 100 without either of us having done sufficient research beforehand. We'd just done my (non-AHC) suspension the weekend before so figured we were ready. . . and (the sad part) I had just thrown out my OEM washers and bushings with my worn out shocks. But it was pretty obvious how to make the AHC ones work and didn't take all that long--just some angle grinding, IIRC.

Thank you, I have finally decided to remove the AHC. I went under it and found multiple areas leaking and the system is completely empty. With the miles she has, it's finally time she gets the AHC ripped out. I also have been thinking about when the 4.7 tanks. I need it set up so I can make it a diesel later on in life (looks like it should hold a 4bt pretty easily).

Today I ordered a set of used Landcruiser coils and torsion bars. Now I am trying to figure out shocks. I know I need all those washers and bushings. I am having issues paying $400+ for Bilstien shocks that have the hardware. I know the stealership thinks those washers are made from solid gold, is there any other ways to get those bushings and washers at non brain damage prices?
Just post a wanted ad in classifieds section, I got mine for a song

Well finally got it sorted out. I decided to convert it all over to Landcruiser parts. I went underneath and looked at the original suspension. The system was dry and had a few leaks in different spots. I was able to buy the torsion bars and coil springs from some junkyards and installed Bilstien shocks. It rides really good and is one of the nicest vehicles I've owned.

Now I need to replace the original heater hose T's (380,000 miles) and give it a good cleaning. Thank you everyone for your help.

IMG_20191205_091158288.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom