New 100 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently joined the ranks of LC ownership, after 30+ years of driving VWs. My first car was an old Toyota Corona, and I used to "steal" my Dad's SR5 pickup whenever I could back in high school.

I'm planning to drive it as a daily for a while, work out any kinks, etc.

Eventually it'll become my son's daily when he gets his license.

For now, the plan is to keep it pretty stock. It needs new bearings in the front, my mechanic has it. I'm having him go ahead and put a timing belt in while he's at it. It has 256k on the odo, its been sitting a while, and the owner couldn't remember when the last time it had been replaced, so I'm not going to roll the dice on it. He was more than willing to come off the price to account for that, so I'm still well within budget on the truck.

It needs a couple of minor TLC things, but for the most part its pretty much what I expected from a 17 year old truck.

It needs new tires, so I'll be looking around for ideas on that.

8QEdY4q.jpg

JJdPWDL.jpg

XDPb68t.jpg

Congrats, i love this color, and the paint still looks good for its age! Where in VA are you? I'm in Fairfax.

First things first, clean up the rear tow hitch area, those dangling wires. Needs to get it inspected, why was it rejected?

If it has been sitting for awhile, here's a few things i'd do.

Siphon all the gas out and put in a fresh tank.

Change all fluids, oil, trans, differential, coolant, brake fluid, power steering. This way you can keep track of it.

Get some new fog lights, there are some on ebay for like $45 that's not so yellow.

Inspect all the sway bar links, bushings, shocks, replace those and your truck will ride like new.

Any plan for mods?

Thank you! I'm near Roanoke.

It was rejected for a couple of reasons. The seller is a local dealer, they have to put a sticker on it to sell it. He was going to slap whatever tires he wanted on the truck, so he could give me a sticker. That gave me a little less room on the price and I didn't know what I'd be getting for tires. So I told him I'd take it to my mechanic, have the reject slapped on it, and he could sell it as is.

The tank was nearly empty, I actually had to put $10 in it to get it to the mechanic. It is running like a champ so I think that part is fine. I plan to run a few tanks of non-ethanol through it to make sure. Oil change is on the list with the timing belt. I hadn't really thought about the other fluids, but it makes perfect sense. Ditto the links, bushings, etc.

The only plans for mods at this point is the stereo system. The one that is currently in there is aftermarket and installed by Edward Scissorhands. I plan to put in a double DIN unit that will support Apple Car and Android Auto. I'll be driving it for work for a while and my son will be using it for school after that, so having a hands free unit will be helpful. I may add bumpers or other "toys" over time if he's interested and I find a good deal on them along the way.

Short list of ideas for the tires, so far (I'm going to be using the stock rims for this set)
BFG All-Terrain TA
Bridgestone Revo 2s
Nitto Terra Grapplers, but I'm not sure they have a 16 size

I noticed the Japanese fender mirror, are you leaving that on or getting rid of it?

I noticed the Japanese fender mirror, are you leaving that on or getting rid of it?

That is not genuine JDM fender mirror, JDM mirror is available only on the left fender. I do carry the Genuine JDM mirror if you need one =)

Quick update on things:

The timing belt and front bearings have been replaced. Oil changed, brake fluid and coolant has been changed. After a brief discussion with my mechanic, we decided to hold off on Transmission fluid or power steering for now. The transmission appears to be operating just fine, no slips, etc. When he inspected the ps fluid there was plenty in the reservoir and good color, so he felt like we could leave it for now. Got a set of used 285/75/16s from a buddy that runs a pick yard.

Going to run things as is for a while, get a feel for the truck, listen for unusual noises, etc.

Next up on the list is replacing the audio system. The rear sway bar links and shocks all around are in the near future, according to the most recent inspection. AC line is cracked and needs to be replaced. The sunroof is taped shut, not sure if I want to mess with that or not.

I picked through the site and called every Toyota dealer and locksmith within a 2 hour radius of me. Finding an answer on the Master Key reprogramming is like chasing identical twin snowflakes. I found a locksmith who was able to copy my valet key, so I now have at least 2. But the "best" answer I've received on getting a replacement Master Key is a $750 ECU swap and 2 master key program offer from a local Toyota Dealer. According to them, the "1 ECU swap per vehicle" program ended in 2014. Not sure if that is the case, as a competing dealer knew nothing about the program at all and wanted to try to reprogram the ECU themselves, with no guarantee it would work, and if it didn't, I would have to buy a new ECU from them for $1,200. So for now, I'm just sticking with using a valet key only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom