new 06 first off roading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i finally got to take my new 06 lx a little off roading nothing special just some beach stuff handdled everything no problem even some really soft stuf which i was a bit scared off because i did not want ot air down because i did not have any way of outting air back in. handdled everything great. The only strange thing is that it is getting cold up here and in the morning upon first start up the engine is really loud i mean really loud until i warms up a bit. i guess from the new belts?? also the vvti is really strange i had my 99lx for close to 5 years and the throttle response was very linear with the new 06 it jumps a lot the only thing i can compare it to is a turbo? i think it may just be me getting used to the new thing.

r3run33 said:
well i finally got to take my new 06 lx a little off roading nothing special just some beach stuff handdled everything no problem even some really soft stuf which i was a bit scared off because i did not want ot air down because i did not have any way of outting air back in. handdled everything great. The only strange thing is that it is getting cold up here and in the morning upon first start up the engine is really loud i mean really loud until i warms up a bit. i guess from the new belts?? also the vvti is really strange i had my 99lx for close to 5 years and the throttle response was very linear with the new 06 it jumps a lot the only thing i can compare it to is a turbo? i think it may just be me getting used to the new thing.

Is the vvti like vtec in that the timing changes at certain rpm thresholds, or does it change continuously? From what you describe, it sounds like the former (i.e., you hit a certain rpm and there's a surge or power).

I've driven a couple of cars with VVTI (Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence) and they seemed very smooth, and I believe they are truely variable, adjusting the inlet valve opening angle continuosly due to O2, throttle position, gear selected, speed etc etc,. Just wondering if r3runn33 is just getting used to the electronic throttle position sensor controlling the throttle opening by electric motor, and not by foot position?

You can feel it when the VVTi changes valve timing. Most of the time I don't notice but on a long, smooth freeway onramp, I can feel it and it does feel like a surge of power.
I don't feel it being jumpy but maybe the VVTi in the V8 is different

ok i guess i should have been a bit more specific the biggest notice is that my old 99 when you are going and then let off the gas you sense an immediate slow down with the new one it definetly has (cant think of the word to describeit) but for instense in traffic you need to apply the brakes more often i think it has to do with the trans aswell my old one had the 3 spd trans. i am not complaining but it is something to get used to especially when off roading becasue throttle resposnse is key in certain areas. any way i just miss my old girl (buyers remorse?)

Is the '06 'throttle by wire' (i.e. electronic throttle)?

i think it is throttle by wire which is why i have to get used to it. it is very different i miss my old girl but not much i can do now hey anybody know about the tire press system for these new ones the tires on the truck now i would say are regular street tires and want to switch them asap. is it actually in the rim?

This thread is useless without pix! :flipoff2: :D

r3run33 said:
i think it is throttle by wire which is why i have to get used to it. it is very different i miss my old girl but not much i can do now hey anybody know about the tire press system for these new ones the tires on the truck now i would say are regular street tires and want to switch them asap. is it actually in the rim?

Should be connected to the valve stem inside the rim. FYI: You can get these, aftermarket, for most wheels. Shouldn't have any restriction as to the type/brand/etc., tires you run.

I had a tire replaced on my 04 4Runner. The tire pressure sensor is not that small. The place that replaced my tire told me that they had to buy a couple of new ones for a Lexus once because they destroyed the old ones getting the tires off. When they remove your tires may sure their machine that is used to break the bead is not near the valve stem. Had a flat repaired before and they were concerned also about the pressure sensor. I would just make sure who ever changes your tire that they know they are in there.

John

spressomon said:
Is the '06 'throttle by wire' (i.e. electronic throttle)?

I know all of the U.S. model 100`s ( I would imagine LXs as well) after 2002 are drive by wire...no more accelerator cable to break !

Although I think I would still rather have a cable snap, instead of a pedal position sensor going haywire, telling the ECU that you are flooring it ! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom