Neutral Start Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok... doing some research on here and learning. Posted up earlier about the starter issue and the starter solenoid wire being completely gunked up so plan on replacing that.

Can anyone give a recommendation on where to find that replacement wire? It seems that part number has been discontinued by toyota, but don't want to throw just anything in there and it crap out in 6 months.

Also... in the research read a lot on the neutral start switch and I'm thinking that might be of legitimate reason for my issue. came across a form showing a guy cleaning it so will attempt that.

What kind of grease do you use inside that housing?

Also i found that there is a black and white wire going in powering the switch and then a black and red wire relaying to the starter. Crawling under her mine look different so not sure if someone altered it before me or if I am looking at the wrong thing. So my question is are these the wires and how do I go about checking them?

Thanks in advance... much appreciated

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

FYI if you post your model and year it helps people with pointing in the correct direction. Fj60's dont have a neutral safety switch. FJ62's do.

Right on... Thanks Seth

1988 62

I replaced the starter a while back and no issues until she warms up...

I had starter issues for years. I swapped in copper contacts and plunger and never had a good result. It wasn't until I swapped in a denso OEM unit that my woes went away.

The starter is also below the side cover gasket. If you have any oil leaks on the side cover, timing cover, or oil filter manifold then whatever you buy will suffer.

1 verify no oil leaks on the passenger side
2 known good Denso starter
3 cables to starter/battery
4 connector to starter

Lots of maintenance is needed to baseline old trucks.

@Randy88FJ62 - Thanks for that list... went in that order and lastly cleaned that connector with contact cleaner. Haven't had an issue again yet. I think it was that connector. It was filthy inside there... lots of crud came out with the cleaner. Gonna take her on a long trip again and verify it was that and not a heat related concern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom