Neutral Safety Switch gauge wiring for temporary bypass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to bypass the neutral safety switch because it will not start while hot. My son is a first responder and I am older with pre existing conditions putting me at risk of the virus. So I am trying to help him till I can get my hands on the truck and fix it right. I want to have him bypass the switch in hopes it will always start when hot. No issues when cold, has a new starter. I found this below picture on here and want to do something similar but need to know the gauge of those two black wires I need to join together. I know this is not the optimal solution, but I cannot have him stranded half the time he goes somewhere.

pn-switch1-jpg.290830

What year 80 series does he have? I don’t think the NSS would cause this problem.
Its a 1996. I have found many posts here and elsewhere of people having the exact same problem, no crank when hot. Seems corrosion on these two black wires is an issue, as well as the switch itself. Having him bypass this to see if it resolves the issue seems like the best choice at this time. Eventually he can come over and we can tear into it more if it is the NSS. For now I need to get it reliable for him.

I would check the NSS connectors where it plugs in to the engine harness. It should be right above the starter they can get corroded or broken. Below is the ignition wiring diagram that might help.

Attachments

• startignition.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 234
Update. Just do this:
IMG1491995887720023787.jpg

So just looping it to the opposite color and this eliminates the need for the neutral switch ??? and this works in a 1994 too
All I know is that it worked for my 93.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom