neoprene waders

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Jman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Jman

Jman

Okay, say you were going to go river fishing on a crisp fall day in the northeast in your unbooted neoprene waders. What would you wear on your feet?

Is there any reason you shouldn't just throw some hiking boots on, or maybe some Tevas? :confused:

2. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

I used to use Tevas all the time.
    You just have to be carefull.

3. lingo

lingo

If it's a rocky bottom I would defiantly wear some "wading" boots. good ankle support, oversized to fit over waders, soles made for the terrain. You don't have to go and spend big$. I prefer a studed felt sole but I fish big water, when i am in a mtn. steam I go with a solid felt.

4. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

I used to all of the time. However, if you are going to spend your day on the river, I would recommend waders.

I would say breathable waders over Neoprene however.

5. e rock

e rock

There's really no advantage to Tevas. Your feet aren't going to be any better ventilated with sandals than with boots. Tevas will probably have slightly better rubber for wet rocks, but the loss of toe and ankle protection is not worth it IMO.

You can pick up some cheap felt-sole wading boots for $30-40 and be much better off.

Get a belt for your waders. You'd be surprised how much neoprene will stretch if you accidentally get in a little too deep. Lots of people die every year because they couldn't swim with 100 gallons of water hanging from their shoulders.

Breathable waders are great for some things. They don't stretch, so that's a plus safety-wise. They do feel cooler on hot summer days. My biggest complaint is that I've never had a pair that kept me dry for more than a couple hours. After a full day in the water, I always seem to end up wetter than in my neoprenes.

6. Jman

Jman

LOL, Beerman, I mean hiking boots or Tevas over the sock part of the neoprene waders, not over bare feet. :eek: And e rock, I was more concerned with damage to the waders than to my feet. :D I wear Tevas in the river all the time in the summer while I'm fishing, but I've never worn waders, so I was concerned with sticks and other crap getting caught in there and ripping the neoprene while I stumbled around fighting a fish.

e-rock, thanks for the tip on the belt--I know a lot of folks fill their waders up, didn't think about a belt to keep it snug.

I'm more concerned with keeping warm than staying dry.

7. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

I used to wear boots over my waders as well. Buy cheap wading boots.

8. Stone

Stone Moderator

I used to work at a local flyfishing shop, and even though I could have bought pretty much any wading boots at a great price (often 40% off or more), I still went with a pair of Cabelas Master Guide Boots at $69 USD. These are by far the toughest boots that I've ever used, and even after seasons of hard use, they show little wear and tear. About the only downfall is the laces, which fray and break over time.

[​IMG]

If you are going to be wearing sandals over top of your stockingfoot waders, make sure you wear thick wool socks over the stockingfeet in order to protect them from abrasion.

I also wear my Simms breathables all year, whether it be chasing trout in streams in the middle of summer, or chasing steelhead in waist-deep icy waters. The key to breathables is proper layering of fabrics that have the ability to wick perspiration off of your skin.

Oh...and you should ALWAYS wear a wading belt. Waders can fill up fast and drag you down, especially breathables...don't ask me how I know. :D

9. Jman

Jman

Hmmm, waders + boots + belt. If I order all thi$ (and if my wife sees me wearing it :rolleyes: think "Tron man" ), I don't think I'll be getting any for a while. :D

Note to self: have Cabela ship to office address. :D :D :D

10. Jman

Jman

Okay, next question: What's good to wear under the waders? :confused: Silks? Sweatpants? Commando? :rolleyes: :D

11. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Depends on the water temp. This time of year if I am wearing waders I only wear my tighty whities. In the winter I wear polar fleece.

12. Stone

Stone Moderator

Yup...depends on how cold it is. Polypro underwear are thin and wick away moisture. Also, as mentioned above, different weights of Polartec fleece are breathable and also wick away moisture. You can go light in cool conditions, or wear heavier fleece in colder conditions. Fleece socks are also available for cold water wading to keep your toes warmer.

13. robinhood4x4

robinhood4x4

eeewww, I can't stand wearing my neoprene waders without something in between. Legs and feet get all sticky and sweaty. When I'm float tubing I'll wear sweat pants, but the high tech wicking stuff is better.

14. Jon in NC

Jon in NC

Cabelas lightweight wading boots are the most comfortable wading boot I've had. It's almost like wearing athletic shoes. I wear them year round, with waders in the late fall, winter and early spring, and with shorts and wool socks the rest of the year. They are in the back of the 40 right now from fishing Sat. morning (caught an 18 inch brown trout, and a fat 13 inch small-mouth).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.