Builds Nemesis - a deviant undertaking underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And met with my local metal fab guy to discuss/estimate this:

headliner1.jpg

I’m interested to see what happens with this… I’m looking at a way of finishing my interior off with metal with the campteq topper on there
@ProwlerDriver Absolutely. . .should be easier/less labor once mine is completed. He mentioned using a specific type of aluminum that will allow it to flex/bend at the corners without making it brittle. Initially looked at aluminum for the dimple border and a single sheet of carbon fiber. After taking a second look at the OEM spars, changed gears to something similar to the above picture. Still aluminum dimpled border, but with a center spar running perpendicular to the OEM spars, and then 3 or 6 separate aluminum panels, depending if I want the spar exposed or hidden.

Now if I can find someone to do my tailgate. . . @TRAIL TAILOR

Last edited:
Does this mean no headliner? Or behind it? Plan on sound deadening in the ceiling?
Headliner, yes but not in the traditional sense. I'm leaning toward the exposed spars and I'm pretty sure this will dictate the 6 panel route - where the panels serve as the headliner.

She's getting sprayed with Lizard Skin and Second Skin first, then one of Cascade Audio Engineering products as a final heat/sound barrier between the panels and the roof.

Headliner, yes but not in the traditional sense. I'm leaning toward the exposed spars and I'm pretty sure this will dictate the 6 panel route - where the panels serve as the headliner.

She's getting sprayed with Lizard Skin and Second Skin first, then one of Cascade Audio Engineering products as a final heat/sound barrier between the panels and the roof.
Gonna be awesome!

And the test panels are off to a good start. . .
DimpleTest1Resized_20230214_122042.jpg

DimpleTest2.jpg

And thanks to @TRAIL TAILOR, this is happening:

The lower tailgate has always been a dilemma for me for a couple of reasons. After installing the hatch panel, hated the bump as it limits what I can put inside and the rear lamp assembly, where the lamp lenses are located, oxidizes/corrodes in 1-2 years. Plus, with a rear bumper/tire carrier/etc, it's almost a mute point. So, function over form.

Grafting the stamped Toyota tailgate panel into the 60. . .love it or hate it, too late now=)

Toyota Insert.jpg

Last edited:
Your welcome!

Jason
Remember when we first started talking. . .initially just the bumpers, then ideas of a crazy build. +/- 10 years and a lot of those ideas are coming to fruition now and while it's easy for me to point the spending-finger at you - which, trust me, I do on a daily basis - the vast majority of those ideas are possible b/c of your relentless pursuit of breaking molds.

Can't wait to see if the Vario's will work as 2nd row buckets. . .

Final stretch is going to be fun. . .

#SEMA_2023?

Listed the JW Speaker Evo's, harness, relay. . .

And met with my local metal fab guy to discuss/estimate this:

View attachment 3245696
This ^. I would love to see a solution for changing the factory headliner...thus eliminating it from being part of the fixed windshield and two rear panel windows. The solution (for me) would have to be clean, relatively simple, and factory-esque looking. Looking forward to what you guys come up with.

So many final details. . .

E-Stopp or Wilwood for electric e-brake system. . .hmm. . .might b time to hit the bong!

e-stopp FJ60.jpg

Wilwood e brake FJ60.jpg

ya nice work right there....
i like how its different from most other bumpers

Already purchased a set of wheels. . .only purchase so far that's grinding on me. The choice really came down to the old school steelies with custom caps or the Skol wheels. Another problem with this choice, and probably what's been behind the grinding. . .the Skol's were my first choice but they were 3x more expensive. And the 'how can I get this done' wheels are already spinning!

SK11, SK15 and SK19, respectively (with the SK19, SK11 and SK15 in order of choice):

Skol sk11 wheel.jpg

Skol SK15 Wheel.jpg

Skol SK19 Wheel.jpg

ya nice work right there....
i like how its different from most other bumpers
Much appreciated @bj70bc

@TRAIL TAILOR came out of the blue on that one. . .which amazes me in so many ways, taking a concept picture and designing fabricating it into reality.

Can't wait to see what he does for the rear bumper AND FENDER VENTS =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom