Builds Nemesis - a deviant undertaking underway (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just saw that you are in the NOLA/Northshore area. I'm in Covington and I just my 60 this summer. I don't know of anybody else around me that has a 60, too. Nice to know there are some people around here with good taste.

BTW, nice build.

Kody- sending PM now.

That actually made me laugh this morning and know exactly what you mean - switching from whatever to the 60 is always a little bit of a shock to the system. And I friggin love Subies - had a built 08 STi wagon that was ludicrous in all aspects, and tried convincing my wife to get the Outback Wilderness last week over the Volvo wagon.

But there's something about the 60 that's unique. . .don't get the same feeling when I drive my buddy's 75 Bronco despite his Bronco>60 nonsense, lol.
Don't worry Shane, with the 80's axle/spring upgrade the ride in your 60 will be night and day. One other thing you might want to consider is getting a new 80's steering box for an upgrade

really removes the slop from a worn steering box. You'll want/need a new 80 series pitman arm to go with the 105 sector shaft in the steering box. Pure gold.

Don't worry Shane, with the 80's axle/spring upgrade the ride in your 60 will be night and day. One other thing you might want to consider is getting a new 80's steering box for an upgrade

really removes the slop from a worn steering box. You'll want/need a new 80 series pitman arm to go with the 105 sector shaft in the steering box. Pure gold.

K, really appreciate the info/link. . .man, talk about sticker shock on all of the last few pieces! Still all over the place on the wheels. Spraying the fender flares and sending with the truck to J. . .just can't see how they go on and have any kind of structural integrity, which disappoints me because I've wanted flares on the 60 since day 1! Lizard Skin and Second Skin getting sprayed next week. Harness should be at J's in a few weeks. Think the door hardware and center console are going to be pretty f'n awesome. And if budget allows, wait to you see the power rock sliders!

The agony of waiting is killing me=)

Shane

K, really appreciate the info/link. . .man, talk about sticker shock on all of the last few pieces! Still all over the place on the wheels. Spraying the fender flares and sending with the truck to J. . .just can't see how they go on and have any kind of structural integrity, which disappoints me because I've wanted flares on the 60 since day 1! Lizard Skin and Second Skin getting sprayed next week. Harness should be at J's in a few weeks. Think the door hardware and center console are going to be pretty f'n awesome. And if budget allows, wait to you see the power rock sliders!

Shane

I have 80 steering boxes in stock.

J

I have 80 steering boxes in stock.

J
That doesn't surprise me - also wouldn't be surprised if you had a TT designed Flux Capacitor, which I would strongly advocate as part of my build=)

Can't believe the time in near. . .so close, can barely handle it!

Shane
I feel you on the wheels. I loved the look of the fifteen52's I'd gotten, but don't see the 17" available any more. After seeing the

1670601979317.png

i'm also a huge fan of the look of the steelies pc'd in your choice of color. My $0.02 (that wasn't requested...HAH!)

1670602117963.png

I feel you on the wheels. I loved the look of the fifteen52's I'd gotten, but don't see the 17" available any more. After seeing the

View attachment 3189025

i'm also a huge fan of the look of the steelies pc'd in your choice of color. My $0.02 (that wasn't requested...HAH!)

View attachment 3189026

Like the steelies but want something a little different. . .imagine such a thing!

Top contenders at the moment:

Braid Forged 4x4

Skol SK19 or SK20

Rotiform Forged STL

Also wish I has a tank, lol.

Why do you need those flares? Tires too wide?
Maybe but depends on what rim/tire combo. . .both of which are still in the planning stages at the moment.

But mainly. . .just pure aesthetics for me, personally. I've always loved the look of the 60 series with fender flares.

Pretty sure I've developed hypertension related to these final build steps. . .

Wheels: After mocking-up numerous wheels, decided on a set of old school 17x9 steelies, painted/coated in either accent color (bronze) or body color (Dark Emerald Frost).

Seats: Sat in a set of Recaro Expert M's, comfy. Sat in a set of Scheel-Mann Vario's that were literally just installed, stiff. Sat in a set of Scheel-Mann's that were about 2 years old, my ass registered PLUSH! Call to Toby, ordering a pair of Vario F's but will have the center section material recovered with Keystone Bros Atlas Laser. Rear bucket seats TBD once she gets to J's shop.

Body/Paint: Rear taillight mods corrected, she's getting the Lizard Skin and Second Skin sprayed this week. If all goes to plan, should be in the paint booth the following week.

Shane

atlas_laser.jpg

FJ60 Final Wheel.png

VarioF.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure I've developed hypertension related to these final build steps. . .

Wheels: After mocking-up numerous wheels, decided on a set of old school 17x9 steelies, painted/coated in either accent color (bronze) or body color (Dark Emerald Frost).

Seats: Sat in a set of Recaro Expert M's, comfy. Sat in a set of Scheel-Mann Vario's that were literally just installed, stiff. Sat in a set of Scheel-Mann's that were about 2 years old, my ass registered PLUSH! Call to Toby, ordering a pair of Vario F's but will have the center section material recovered with Keystone Bros Atlas Laser. Rear bucket seats TBD once she gets to J's shop.

Body/Paint: Rear taillight mods corrected, she's getting the Lizard Skin and Second Skin sprayed this week. If all goes to plan, should be in the paint booth the following week.

Shane

View attachment 3235361

View attachment 3235362

View attachment 3235363
You'll be stoked on the Vario F. Very comfortable and supportive seats.

You'll be stoked on the Vario F. Very comfortable and supportive seats.
@NookShneer Much appreciated! Mel and I are going to fly out and pick the 60 up when she's done, and then do a 10-day PNW road trip up to your neck of the woods. The trip will be a good break-in for the seats. After comparing the two, I honestly couldn't do that kind of mileage in the Recaro's. The difference was staggering!

Shane

@NookShneer Much appreciated! Mel and I are going to fly out and pick the 60 up when she's done, and then do a 10-day PNW road trip up to your neck of the woods. The trip will be a good break-in for the seats. After comparing the two, I honestly couldn't do that kind of mileage in the Recaro's. The difference was staggering!

Shane

Sweet! Let me know if you need recommendations on places to check out this way. Hopefully you are targeting sunny weather for us July-Sept.

Did some significant work today and she's sooooooooooooooooooooooooo close! Starting to get the nervous energy now, slept like 3 hours last night, think I'm starting to ease my way into Hades.

Finished and corrected taillight mod:

2Feb23FJ60BodyProgressIMG_3157.jpg

2Feb23FJ60BodyProgressIMG_3156.jpg

Last edited:
General body pics - you can tell this rig spent 90% of her life in Arizona, then another 8% in climate controlled storage. The absence of rust is shocking. Taking off some of the hardware today, removing bolts that haven't been touched in 30+ years, and the plating still has a factory like gleam to it.

2Feb23FJ60BodyProgressIMG_3162.jpg

2Feb23FJ60BodyProgressIMG_3159.jpg

2Feb23FJ60BodyProgressIMG_3165.jpg

Sweet! Let me know if you need recommendations on places to check out this way. Hopefully you are targeting sunny weather for us July-Sept.
If the next two weeks go as planned, no major shipping snags, no major changes while at J's (yes, that's a personal note to myself), then that's the exact time frame we're hoping to be out your way.

Places: Looking mostly for rustic, cabin, weird (but not like the hosts tie you to the bed and peg you weird), remote, etc. Have you ever stayed in the fire towers that are available to rent? That's something we're extremely interested in doing during our bucket list trip.

Thanks - Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom