Neighbors house robbed - be careful - THEY STRIKE AGAIN! (aka: The Great Gun Thread) (1 Viewer)

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Be careful guys. My neighbors house (two houses down the road @ the end) was robbed yesterday. In broad daylight some lowlife piece of (*#& kicked in their front door, grabbed a laptop and camera, and beat feet. They have an alarm which the police say probably scared the lowlife off.

This was a brave robbery as it was daylight, they kicked in the front door, and someone is usually home in the four houses at the end of the street (mine included). The wife of the house that is robbed is almost always home. All my neighbors keep a close watch on anyone that comes down our dead end street. All the neighbors just hope that it was random and the lowlife got lucky.

One neighbor asked what I would have done if someone kicked in my front door - she was shocked by my answer.

Last edited:
We had a robbery in our Mt Pleasant neighborhood about a month ago as well. A guy followed him into his garage and tried to get in the house. Now I make sure my firearm is my hands or on my hip when I exit the car to go inside. I usually carry it from the car to the house anyways, as I don't want to leave it in the car for theft. But before this I always had it in a case. Now it is in hand with one in the chamber. And let's just say there are plenty of options to defend ourselves once we are inside if someone were to kick the door down.

It's getting scarier out there, and they keep getting closer and closer to home. I just hope we have enough gun shooters out there, and not all gun owners.

Jeremy

and it happens when you never expect it....

kicks in my front door while I am home.....he will meet some lead.....while I am gone he will meet my 125lb bullmastiff.

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
and it happens when you never expect it....

kicks in my front door while I am home.....he will meet some lead.....while I am gone he will meet my 125lb bullmastiff.

He would probably rather meet lead than your bullmstiff! :D

My immediate neighbors look out for each other pretty well. We know who should be coming and going and who should not.

I did chase two young boys (~10 years old) out of my neighbors yard last week. It was about 10pm, maybe a little later. Cruiser barked his "I wanna play with you" bark so I went out to look since everyone's lights were out. Two sets of neighbors have two little girls each so that is another reason to keep an eye out. I heard little boys whispering (quite loudly) so I sent Cruiser in with Ali and had her turn the patio lights off so I was blacked out and could not be seen. At this point I figured that it was just neighborhood boys but I still wanted to know what was up and for the kids hiding to know they had been spotted.

About 30 seconds later (I was ready to wait hours) I saw movement as the boys tried to sneak around my neighbors house. They never saw me since I stayed in the shadows and all I can say is when I lit them up with a bright flashlight from about 40 feet away and yelled they screamed like little girls and I assume ran home...damn amateurs. I could have followed them to see which house they lived at but I circled around to where they were hiding to make sure that no one (older) was still there.

I'm actually pretty surprised the police weren't called as I cleared the exteriors of three houses multiple times with a bright flashlight.

Then a few days later one neighbor's house is broken into. Seems like too much of a coincidence. I told all the neighbors and I'm going to check with the one to make sure he told the Police.

Same thing happened yesterday afternoon to one of my colleagues.
N side of State Park Rd from the Fire Dept on the W side of Piney Mtn, under the SW lee of Paris Mtn while she was at work.
Took her 44" wide screen, ignored the computer and her purse, go figger.
Somebody around here's got a big foot, same M.O.
b

If the same thing happened here while I was in I hope I can get the 870 unloaded before he gets inside so most of the gore goes on the porch.
b

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Same thing happened yesterday afternoon to one of my colleagues.
N side of State Park Rd from the Fire Dept on the W side of Piney Mtn, under the SW lee of Paris Mtn while she was at work.
Took her 44" wide screen, ignored the computer and her purse, go figger.
Somebody around here's got a big foot, same M.O.
b

If the same thing happened here while I was in I hope I can get the 870 unloaded before he gets inside so most of the gore goes on the porch.
b

Damn, wonder if it is the same person. And they bypassed the laptop b/c they already had one! :D

Better let him get through the door frame atleast first Bill. CSI's will notice the drag marks back into the house.;)

Jeremy

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Oh no they didn't!!!

Oh haeeel no they didn't!!! My FJC and my neighbor's minivan were both broken into last night. In both cases nothing was taken but the glove box and console were rooted through. This s(*$ don't fly. We just had a brief shower so now I'm waiting for my FJ to dry so it can be dusted for prints. Its gonna be messy the officer said.

There is nothing that puts the fear of God in a dirt bags head more than the racking of a shotgun. Just the sound along brings back memories of a TP raid on a friend’s house when I was in high school and his dad just letting us know he’s home. The shot gun pellets hit the road as we were running away. We live in a area where conceal weapons permits are easy to get if you’re half way stable. I cannot imagine what it’s like living somewhere that you basic need for protection is restricted.

Its been a rough few months weeks for your FJC. First getting rear ended and now broken into. Glad to hear nothing was taken.

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Greenville County Forensics is on the way back out to dust the FJC for prints. They came earlier but had to leave b/c it had rained and they can't dust when its wet. Think baby powder mixing with water.

They did say its gonna be messy...but o well...

I have a shotgun that I could rack but I also have a Glock that lives on my hip an AR close by also. I did check the sound of the AR racking - VERY close to a shotgun! :grinpimp:

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Well the Forensics unit came and dusted for fingerprints but didn't find any.

I wasn't really worked up about this but I just looked through my truck and something was off - those bastards stole a pair of FRS radios my father gave me...now I'm :mad:.

Oh yeah. Invest in a good hollow point round for home protection. Winchester XST and Federal Hydra shock are pretty good. First hand expierience with the 40cal Hydra shock. It does a good job but the XST holds together better as it goes through sheetrock glass etc. The hydra shock's jacket can seperate as it goes through.

Also for the AR 15 you might want to look at frangible or hollow point ammo for home protection. New houses dont stop much and your responsible for wherever that round ends up. I'm also a big fan of a rediculusly bright light to go along with any home defense gun. Not only can you see the target but you can blind them with the light which so that they cant see their target (aka You)

same S*it was happening here in charlotte. They would come to the house in the morning between 9-12 because your gone to work but a lot of moms get back from daycare or kids get home mid day, Knock or ring door bell and if no one answered, BAM, there goes your front door. Happen 5 times in 30 days and a bunch of car break ins. We ended up getting the neighborhood together with an off duty cop to talk about prevention and a city council member so they started patrolling the area more and it got alot better. Pretty sure CPI security made a little extra money during that time too on new systems.

Our worst problem is sat and sundays when the high school kids roam and check for unlocked doors....they caught a kid (term used loosely) that was stealing wallets at the pool...kicker is he live in a half mill house. Supporting drug habbit.

Also for the AR 15 you might want to look at frangible or hollow point ammo for home protection. New houses dont stop much and your responsible for wherever that round ends up. I'm also a big fan of a rediculusly bright light to go along with any home defense gun. Not only can you see the target but you can blind them with the light which so that they cant see their target (aka You)

Wise words. Scott has walked the walk and also been a police trainer in one of the most dangerous places in the world; back street Iraq.
Brock's been involved with urban warfare too I believe.

Rule #3 for any shot is knowledge of what's behind it. My primary home defender is the 12ga with one round of #4 rabbit shot then five of #4 3" buck. Hopefully the buck stops here but if it doesn't it won't have much left when it gets way over there. If that's not enough, and it's hard to dream up a time when it's not (outside of Hollywood or true paranoia) there are five more 3" 00 buck on the stock.

I did find some .223 which makes sense if you're AR inclined, it's called Federal TUR, tactical urban rifle. It's 40 grain hollow point. Best defense I've seen against collateral damage/friendly fire issues for rifle ammo. But it would have to be a real siege for me to get out the AR. I keep the car trunk rifle loaded with the TUR, The AR in the closet with 3 mags of plain 55gr HP .223.

I also picked up a Surefire TL3 for night situations. It fires 200+ lumens and was under $50. A light mount is on the way for pic rail. But for it there are several twohanded light/w/pistol stances available as well. This baby will mess up night vision in a hurry, leave plenty of time for a well aimed response to threat. I would try to hold it away from the body while lighting up the eyes, why I will probably normally not have it mounted on the weapon.

Finally since I don't imagine every situation involving greeting someone at the door with an 18" matte black 12ga tac w/rails and light I keep a pistol near each door loaded up with personal defense type HP ammo. That way I don't have to be quite so threatening if it's an innocent or accidental issue, pilgrim needing assistance of whatever. The 45auto at back with Fed HST is the most likely scene, I can view the front door from there before I open the door. I keep a 357 with Hornady FTX by the bedside for the same situation. I like the sound of the old Smith cocking almost as much as racking the 12ga although it's not single action only. The 870 stays between the bed and the front door for an obviously hot situation, God forbid it ever occurs.

Oh yeah if I happen to get caught away from the house coming in and there's no time for 911 there's a 9 in the glovebox and a 1911 and Mini14 in the car trunk. I don't carry the G27 to and from work.

I try to embody 'Be Prepared" although I expect it'll never be used.
I do enjoy practicing though. I like things that go bang.
Over the years the few times I've been close to employing violence the preparation became the shield. When the badguy saw I was prepared to meet his play and escalate to conclusion he folded his hand each time.

b

PS My house is at the edge of crack town with an empty on one side and a geriatric on the other. The three streets behind me are mostly low-rent transients. I've heard shots fired in the night numerous times around here. This is not all just urban cowboy paranoia, I figure it's just a matter of time. I came home once and a kid was in the yard whom the back door neighbors said had been in the house. I don't think so because the doors were locked, I think he was just trying the doors. He said he was just checking to see if we were home, wanted to know about renting the house next door. I didn't feel danger vibes but I convinced him I'd best not see him on my street again.
b

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom