1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negotiation Tips.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by swank60, Jul 25, 2005.

1. swank60

swank60

So who's got tips on negotiating vehicle prices? I'm still thinking about an 80, maybe, but I'm a terrible negotiator. Some of you freakshows seem to be able to give half the asking price for things you buy - what's your secret(s)???

Fess up! I'm tired of buying high and selling low.

2. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Private party of stealership?

If it's private party...how polite do you want to be? The more of an ass you are (within limits) the better deal you'll get.

3. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

Get in the little cubes those guys have, and just keep cheesing in there until they give you your price!

TIP: eat a bean burrito for lunch before you go in...

4. swank60

swank60

By "ass" do you mean "know it all" or do you mean "so, is your mom a big fat ass? The reason I ask is because the truck is leaning a little to the right..."

I've got my eye on one at a dealership, one is private party.

5. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    is your wife any better at making deals? let her do it if she is.

6. swank60

swank60

No, she's even worse than I am.

My sister used to be friggin' awesome. She's lost her touch though. At 14, she got my mom a free set of brand new tires. My mom had gone in for new tires, asked to have her old tires put in the truck, and the people disposed of them. My sister called, gave 'em hell, got her a brand new set as a replacement...but now she can't do it.

7. LabRat11

LabRat11

Have your price in mind and offer about 10% less - give in a little (give the other guy something to feel good about) but dont go over your in mind price. Dont be afraid to walk away.

8. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

Go in there and point out all the possible things you can find wrong with the vehicle.....talk it down like its not worth much....make comments like well its going to cost this much for that and so on....get a running total and deduct it from the asking price....note: your doing all of this out loud right in front of the owner......and being kind of rude like you know all about it......make a low ball ass offer then come back in a couple days with a better one. the longer it sits the more willing they will be to work with you. got my cruiser for 2500 all stock no rust and running w/ full tread on road tires and drove it 100 miles home that day.

9. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

stealership - End of the month to get the quotas. Saturday I hear is the best day. End of the model year is good too, and is coming up. Walk out when they start dicking you around.

Private party really depends on the person. If they are not confident they have the right price on the vehicle you can bring examples of what they go for. You can point out obvious repair work that needs to be performed. That doesn't always work either.

Stupid low offers of cash money in their face often works.

10. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Private party sales, sometimes I'll nit-pick at every little flaw if I think it'll take a hundred dollars off. That's what I meant by being an ass. You need to be careful with this method because the owner could be very proud of their rig...and you could cross the line and piss them off to the point that they won't sell to you.

A better approach might be to print out the lowest price you can find on edumds.com, kbb.com, and/or nada.com for the model year you're looking to buy. Bring that to the negotiation as the basis for your offer. You're likely to find a quote on one of those sites close to a lowball offer. Show them the print out and explain to them that while you don't want to lowball them too much...you don't want to be taken either. Sometimes (if you're dealing with a reasonable person) this approach works well.

With a dealership, buying a new car cheap is easy (if you live in an area with lots of dealerships selling the same make)...it's more of a challenge when buying used.

I hate playing their game, but it can be fun if you turn the game around on them. Show up at the dealership 30 minutes before closing time (bring a backpack with some snacks and/or a sandwich, your laptop, ipod, a good book, etc.). Take your test drive (or 2nd/3rd test drive, if applicable). Return to the dealership -- your goal is to walk back into the dealership about 15 to 20 minutes before closing time. Start the negotiations -- be prepared to sit it out at the dealership as long as it takes. These guys will eventually want to go home. In most cases, you'll be tying up 3 or 4 people -- your sales guy, his manager, the "wizard" (as I like to call him/her who is the one you're actually negotiating with), and the finance guy. The finance guy's going to the be most pissed off because he needs to stay latest of all of them to finalize documents. Work through the negotiations for as many hours as you can stand...it'll essentially be a test of mental strength. How bad will these guys want to go home? It's very unlikely that they'll kick you out. Stick to your guns and you'll get a good deal.

11. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Good cop/bad cop. Take the wife or friend, works better with the wife. Good cop loves the truck, wants to buy it. Bad cop doesn't like it, isn't interested in it. Seller will side with good cop and start trying to convince bad cop to buy it. Bad cop resists, price is too high. Good cop suggests to seller a lower price, seller sees good cop as "on their side", etc.

Works on more than cars.

12. Jman

Jman

Criminey, there are so many 80s for sale, just figure out what you want, what a good price is, and keep looking. LabRat and Gumby have some good advice in my mind. Oh, and definitely have cash in hand and just walk away if it's not working for you. Nobody likes to see money walk away. Leave your number if they change their mind.

13. patride71

patride71

do your research and make sure what the bottom line amount is you want and should spend for it. pay cash if possible. point out the problems with the car. for example, i pointed out that the tires on the altima needed to be replaced and there was no ashtray either. the dealer accepted how much i offered and me pointing out these "issues" probably helped. always be prepared to walk away and don't give in on your price. works in dealership or private party sales.

p.s. don't sell the 60!

14. crholliday

crholliday Frisbeetarianist

Dealership: work all the local dealers against each other. Just let your fingers do the walking. An enthusiastic salesman at each location is your best shot. First, go visit them all and get the best price each will offer. Then call Bob and tell him Fred will give you the deal for Fred's price minus $500. If Bob will match it or beat, then call Diane (notice the P.C. female car sales person reference) and tell her that Bob will give it to you for Bob's price minus $500. If she puts you on hold and goes to talk to her finance manager or sales manager, then returns with a "take Bob's deal", then you know you went too low. But don't despair... now you know the lower limit.

Work the above until nobody will beat anybody's price but they start throwing in tinted windows, a toaster over or some other stuff. Try to get as much crap as possible... then the hard part starts. You have have to absolutely demand that you will not pay one friggin penny more than the agreed upon deal. The finance manager is gonna add 62 little fees that "every dealer would charge you". Calmly tell him that you have absolutely no emotional attachment to this deal and that if he doesn't honor the deal the salesman made, you will go see Diane and that will be it. If you stay calm but firm with that, they will cave pretty quickly.

Private sell: If you know what you will pay for the vehicle, then use the old: I have $X,XXX that I can spend. If you will take it, then I will walk out of here today with this Cutlass Caprice. Otherwise, like everyone else said, walk away. There are too many risks buying a used car to get carried away.

C.

15. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Shop online and print out all of the really lowball ads. Track some in ebay on your watch list, print those out when they close so you're armed with documentation of how low 80's are selling for. I got lucky on mine- I waited like a week after I first drove it and they took it to the BIIIIIIIIIIIIG PARKING LOT SALE and it didn't sell. They were willing to move it.

16. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll have the wife give them a call, they'll be crying like little school children when she's done with them.

17. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Do not talk too much; prepare for long silence, it works in your favor. Silence makes most people uncomfortable. My husband once bought a used car from a dealer way cheap by simply being silent for the betetr part of an hour. Not talking much, each time they offered a lower price, he would go "hmmm, I'll have to think about that" and wait until they got antsy. Then, when it seemed they wouldn't go any lower, he told them he wanted to trade in an old Buick (they hated that idea and offered another few hundred just for him to keep it - no financing involved) and that he didn't want to pay the sales tax nor plate fees. They gasped but gave him the deal. Needing financing works against you, better to have cash. Never want anything bad; and do not pay a premium for anything you didn't want in the first place or is of no value to you (two-tone paint, AC, monster speakers, fancy horn, what have you). They want something from you - not the other way round.

18. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Good advice on the "not a penny more". Finance guys make thier commisions during the after-sale add ons. Extended warrenties are the big 'uns.

19. Gundy

Gundy

no chit

Few truer words have been spoken.
    Also end of year (inventory tax) with stealership.

20. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    act like you don't give a crap if you get or not.

bring cash

when you walk around(and inside as well) the car, make sure the owner is there with you, when you see a flaw........touch it with your finger.........dont say a word, just touch it ;)

know what it cost to fix the items that may need work.

when you make an offer........shut up, the 1st person to talk looses(and you want it to be the seller, not you)

try to find something in common with the seller(if a private party)

and its is true, the end of the month at a dealship is a very good time to buy and get a deal.

do NOT say............I JUST LOVE IT! (and for gods sake don't let the wife say that, if so.......your fawked)

Ask em why they are selling?

oh and if its a new Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Saab ect...........then just wait a few months, pretty soon they will be giving them away for free......:D