Neewbie intro with questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
My name is Scott and I own a 1997 LX450. I purchased it in 2000 and am the second owner. I live in the Heights in Houston TX. For years I've been lurking off and on here, mainly looking at pictures of rebuilds and trying to educate myself on what I would need to do to rebuild mine and the costs involved. I really appreciate this site and the fact that it's members have a passion for these vehicles that I share. I also like that members are generous with their advice, opinions and knowledge. Alas I have finally reached the conclusion that it is not appropriate for me to pursue rebuilding mine. I have decided to sell it as-is and would appreciate y'all's input.
So, about the vehicle:
  • 1997 Lexus LX450 with 246,018 miles, black with tan interior
  • last passed inspection in 2016, after that I could not get that dreaded emissions related (if I recall) check engine light to go away. My idea was that I would address that when I put in a new engine:frown:
  • has not been driven since, except to start up occasionally and drive around the block, up to about 2020. Since then it has not been started.
  • the last time I drove it it started fine and seemed okay but now it wont start of course. I just bought a new battery and it cranks okay but even spraying engine starter would not work.
  • the interior is in fair shape except the seat upholstery is jacked up
  • never been in an accident
  • exterior paint is about half okay and half not good
  • sunroof leaks
So my questions are:
  • should I get someone to work on it to get it running then sell it? or sell it as-is?
  • where should I try to sell it?
  • how much should I be asking for it as-is or running? or am I going to have to pay to have it hauled off?
I would appreciate your help with this and am happy to answer any questions of course. I seem to remember that the type (or existence of) lockers seems to make a difference. I am fairly certain this one doesn't have the sought after ones.

So, thanks in advance for any help, comments and or questions. Hope y'all have a great day

20230317_132727.jpg

20230317_132707.jpg

I think you should sell it, it's worth $3,500.00 which happens to be how much I got in my savings account if you want to make a deal.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🖕🖕🖕

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Difficult to say what it’s worth. $5k not running and unknowns. Bet you can get it running for fairly cheap and have a running cruiser which will obviously increase selling price.

So what’s wrong with the engine that you wanted to replace it? Just an emissions issue?

Getting it running should be easy and will definitely increase resale value. A wash and interior clean is also a good idea once you get it rolling again. With those done a buyer can better evaluate the overall condition of the 80 and what it will need, etc.

Maybe you can get it going with forum help or a forum member/neighbor can give it a look?

Have you tried topping the battery off with a charger and REALLY trying to start it..... Hold the throttle to the floor and crank it for a good 30 seconds or more to see if it will sputter and fire up. There's a chance it will run like crap at first with some smoke until things clear up.

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies guys! I will get it running and clean it up then! I'll post on the progress and still would like to know the best venue for advertising it. To answer questions: I wanted to rebuild the engine mainly with the idea that I wanted it to be dependable for longer trips as my plan was to use it for camping etc. The check engine light issue appeared to be a common and difficult to resolve problem related to an emissions sensor (it's been a while since I looked into it). I did put in a new, right-sized Interstate battery and did as you suggested without success. Mucho gracias

You really need to get the engine running so you can pull the engine code(s) before you give up on it.

I have a 1994 with a persistent light related to a loose O2 sensor wire, and a 1995 with a light related to a plugged EGR port in the intake. Both are nearly free to fix, and when I have to fix them, I'll get around to it. Very little catastrophic damage is related to engine lights. Any claim that they are impossible to fix is likely made by people who couldn't fix them with help.

I hate to see good Land Cruisers thrown away.

A 97 should pass state inspection in Texas with check engine light on. They only do a safety check.

There you go.

UPDATE
Hi Guys,
This baby is running again! I had it hauled to a trusted mechanic (flat-bed tow $125/ 2mi away). They found that the fuel pump had failed. They removed the tank, cleaned it out, replaced fuel pump and filter, cleaned fuel injectors and cranked it up. $1600 later it runs fine. Couple issues not mentioned in earlier post popped up.:
  • the SRS airbag light stays on
  • and the discharge warning light stays on
Dunno about airbag but I will see if I have a loose belt, etc. on the generator and unless it's that the buyer will have to address it. The check engine light mentioned above is not on but I believe it will come on with driving as it could not have resolved itself. To be clear: that light was an emissions related code . . . can't remember exactly for what . . . but it may have indicated that some emissions sensor was malfunctioning (it wouldn't pass inspection in 2017 because of this issue btw). I'm okay with selling it as. It got a good exterior washing and I will have the interior cleaned tomorrow.

So I'd like to know what you guys think would be
  • the best venue to advertise it on?
  • and how much for a fair starting price?
I really appreciate all the feedback/help.

Hope y'all have a great day!

Your vehicle was not 25+ years old at the time. It now is. It is exempt from testing in Texas. Only a safety check is required. I just registered a 96 in Texas with the check engine light on for emissions. They don’t even look at that for the safety check.

A few places to sell are here on MUD in the classifieds section, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, or bringstrailer.com.

The Airbag light is on most likely due to a dead battery. IME if the mini-ECU for the SRS system doesn't get power (dead or no battery) for ?? months the SRS light comes on even after a charged battery is installed. Someone with real electrical knowledge will know why.

Either way, it's easy to reset with some of the better scanner/test tools, a little bit fiddly but doable with a couple pieces of wire.

Try a search for resetting (or turning off) SRS Airbag light on this forum

@Bababooee : did the shop actually remove the fuel tank from the vehicle, or did they go in via the access port in the cargo area to replace the fuel pump?

Thanks for the replies!

That's great info about the inspection Captain ,I'll give that a shot.

Kernal, yes they did remove the tank and I trust that they did the best they could cleaning it out and Ill try as you suggest on the airbag

I'll advertise it here first

Anybody wanna give their opinion on the asking price?
I really have no idear. I can try to do comps but was hoping for some help on that

I appreciate yall!

@Bababooee

Regarding comps/prices I'd pay closer attention to folks in your area as values of these can vary a good bit in different parts of the country. If yours is low rust or truly rust free, as it may be given where you live, that is definitely an important factor with value and moves it up amongst the comps a bit. Being from the South and rust free would also open up the range of potential buyers as folks will travel to get a non rust-belt vehicle.

The paint condition is a relevant value hit as paint jobs are very expensive, but hopefully it looks a lot better post cleanup even with the issues your photos show.

There are a few pretty common problems that could be triggering the check engine light. For instance, code P0401 - EGR insufficient flow, may be the most common and is cheap to fix once the exact problem is tracked down. The point is that the code likely shouldn't be a big factor in terms of resale value as long as it runs and drives well and the code isn't some rare harbinger of big spending (though this would most likely be accompanied by performance issues). To trigger the P0401 you basically have to drive to highway speed, slow to a stop and then drive to highway speed a second time. If the conditions are right then after hitting speed the second time the P0401 will immediately throw. I'd personally drive it to speed a few times and then if the check engine light comes on I'd drop by an autozone, or similar parts store, where they will pull the codes for you for free. You would then have the code(s) to disclose to potential buyers including feedback from here on what the codes mean and if they are a big deal or not.

I'm out of the loop on prices and far from an expert on the current market but from what I'm seeing in your pictures I'd consider starting the price around $15k. Lower to move it faster or if there is undercarriage rust or running/driving issues. Higher if you want to try to maximize return and don't mind feeling the market out.

Don't ask me about prices, I'm always lower than most other guess-timates, and it's all been said many times before (try a search for "what's my vehicle worth" threads.

Ok, I'll give you another opiion FWIW, on what it's worth

Condition, Condition, Condition (interior and exterior) needing paint or body work is a big factor as already mentioned. Torn leather is expensive to replace, repainting a vehicle correctly is very expensive (10-15k+). Rust anywhere can dramaticaly affect (lower) value.

Mileage affects value. obviously. Many people who've never owned one of these (or never worked on one) often say something like "they'll go a million miles", but what they don't know or don't say is that it may cost a million (or tens of thousands at least) to keep them running that long.

Whether it's already had the Head Gasket replaced, or not, affects value. IME 250,000 miles is starting to push it on the original HG. Many last longer for sure but seems like they all have some signs of leaking once the head is pulled off due to a defective original design (HG). So if the HG was already replaced that can bump up the value a couple thousand.

Current mechanical/electrical issues affect value along with delayed/needed maintenance.

A Land Cruiser badge is worth more than a Lexus badge, reverse of what you might usually find with Sedans for example.

As already mentioned, not running makes it a parts vehicle, a couple thousand maybe. Get it running and clean it up, and considering the peeling clear coat and if no other surprises, 10k maybe in todays market, but it doesn't hurt to ask high and see what offers you get.

As mentioned, value depends on local prices or if you try to sell it on BAT or Fleabay.

Maybe try putting it on Craigs List at a high number (15k) and see what offers you get??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom