Neep help ASAP... Crank strong, no start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 FZJ80
Stalled at a stop sign...
I have been searching on the forum for days now... still no solution.
EFI fuse checked, good
EFI relay checked, good
replaced brand new fuel pump relay, no start
replaced brand new fuel pump, no start
fusible link checked, good

however, key on, no check engine light.
no fuel pressure from fuel pump.
the PO installed an aftermarket alarm system.

Could it be a ECU problem?

I have tried every possible solution I know but still no starting.
I really hope that I could ride in this tank again...

IMG_4893.JPG

I don't have a magic solution, but here's my advice-

Re-check the fusible links, make sure power is getting to the next location down the line, probably the fuse box.
Using a volt meter, check the EFI fuse connector for power, and also other fuses that should have power with ignition on. With the fuse out, one leg should have power.
Make sure the supposedly good critical fuses are actually transferring power. They can be blown but still look fine. Use a meter or replace with a known good fuse.

I don't have a magic solution, but here's my advice-

Re-check the fusible links, make sure power is getting to the next location down the line, probably the fuse box.
Using a volt meter, check the EFI fuse connector for power, and also other fuses that should have power with ignition on. With the fuse out, one leg should have power.
Make sure the supposedly good critical fuses are actually transferring power. They can be blown but still look fine. Use a meter or replace with a known good fuse.
Everything in the fuse box is good and getting power. I will double check them again.
Thanks.

image.jpg
Check this socket. Mine corroded and it failed to supply B+ power to the ECU. All other symptoms were like yours. It is beside the power steering reservoir on the front of the intake manifold. I hard-wired Mine. Usually there is a grey connector socket that has 2 or 3 pin positions but it only has 1wire in it.

Ether the bulb is burned out, or more likely there is no power to the ECU and that means no fuel, spark, not going to run. Need to test that circuit to find where the power interruption is and fix it.

View attachment 1706699 Check this socket. Mine corroded and it failed to supply B+ power to the ECU. All other symptoms were like yours. It is beside the power steering reservoir on the front of the intake manifold. I hard-wired Mine. Usually there is a grey connector socket that has 2 or 3 pin positions but it only has 1wire in it.
thank you so much will check on that and keep update!

View attachment 1706699 Check this socket. Mine corroded and it failed to supply B+ power to the ECU. All other symptoms were like yours. It is beside the power steering reservoir on the front of the intake manifold. I hard-wired Mine. Usually there is a grey connector socket that has 2 or 3 pin positions but it only has 1wire in it.
Found the connector. Looks covered in dirt and grease. What does this connector do anyway? I will try to hard wire it tomorrow (more day light).

IMG_5450.jpg

Found the connector. Looks covered in dirt and grease. What does this connector do anyway? I will try to hard wire it tomorrow (more day light).

View attachment 1706735

That is one of the potential problem connections. Best to find where there is power and not, pinpoint where the problem is and fix the problem?

That is one of the potential problem connections. Best to find where there is power and not, pinpoint where the problem is and fix the problem?
Just hard wired it. Still nothing. :(

Besides the whole ECU power thing, checked the distributor plug to make sure it's seated? Opened the distributor cap to verify everything is serviceable inside?

1997 FZJ80
Stalled at a stop sign...
I have been searching on the forum for days now... still no solution.
EFI fuse checked, good
EFI relay checked, good
replaced brand new fuel pump relay, no start
replaced brand new fuel pump, no start
fusible link checked, good

no fuel pressure from fuel pump.
the PO installed an aftermarket alarm system.

Could it be a ECU problem?

I have tried every possible solution I know but still no starting.
I really hope that I could ride in this tank again...
Have you pulled the negative on the battery and let sit for a few minutes?? Could be the alarm messed up. May reset it. Just a guess

Besides the whole ECU power thing, checked the distributor plug to make sure it's seated? Opened the distributor cap to verify everything is serviceable inside?
Done that already lol

could be the wiring at the egr or glovebox. i have seen those get melted/rubbed and short out causing issues. just another place to look.

I'm thinking alarm.

Is there a Valet button you can use to bypass the alarm function?

Again, if no DEL with key on, then no power to ECU. Must find cause of no CEL.....Usually fusible links.

Note: Fusible links can show continuity, but not work.....

I'm thinking alarm.

Is there a Valet button you can use to bypass the alarm function?

Again, if no DEL with key on, then no power to ECU. Must find cause of no CEL.....Usually fusible links.

Note: Fusible links can show continuity, but not work.....
I simply disconnect the power of the alarm, still not cel

The ECU needs to be your focus, if you have no power there need to get the multimeter out and start to troubleshoot. Can you get your hands on a good ecu?
yes the parts should come tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom