Needing to Vent!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife wanted to have a yard sale yesterday and so I paralllel parked the Land Cruisers across the street, 100 in front, 80 in back.

Sometime during the day, I happened to look over and noticed how much higher the 80 stood than the stock 100 and how the ARB bull bar just barely makes contact with the 100 rear bumper (height wise).

Well, appearantly, the wife needed to run somewhere and backed the 100 into the bull bar and pushed a dent right into the tailgate of the 100, slightly below the licenses plate. URGGHH.

While I was slightly pissed, I did secure first rights to start building her 100 up in the near future. I suggested that had she had a OME lift and a Slee bumper/tire carrier combo, this would not have happened.

Until then, a dent in the tailgate will have to surfice.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I FEAR of this happening to me! Now that I have the Slee rear bumper and the tire carrier I panic every time I back up. :frown: I know if I hit that tire it's going into the gate. :mad:

Hang in there. Everything is fixable thank god.

You know I have the Slee tire carrier on my 80 and I first worried about backing into something and having the antenna mount hit the top hatch. But after a few touch and goes on various things, that tire carrier really has held up under moderate contact.

I'm sure getting rear-ended by a truck would be devastating though.

On our 100 I'm probably going to go with a custom setup by Luke at 4x4 Labs (eventually). I agree on the tire carrier thing, which is why I plan on carrying the spare under the vehicle for normal use (also why I got the OEM subtank and not one of the huge aftermarket ones), plus if we (or should I say, my wife, since she primarily drives it) gets hit in back, we'll rely on Luke's steel concoction for protection. Then, for camping or other family-type "expeditionary" wheeling (all this truck will see), we'll bolt on the tire / jerry can carriers.

dclee said:
On our 100 I'm probably going to go with a custom setup by Luke at 4x4 Labs (eventually). I agree on the tire carrier thing, which is why I plan on carrying the spare under the vehicle for normal use (also why I got the OEM subtank and not one of the huge aftermarket ones), plus if we (or should I say, my wife, since she primarily drives it) gets hit in back, we'll rely on Luke's steel concoction for protection. Then, for camping or other family-type "expeditionary" wheeling (all this truck will see), we'll bolt on the tire / jerry can carriers.

More info please, I need the spare tire underneath to be able to carry my trials bike on the hitch receiver. I like the Slee bumper with the built in receiver for towing (added height)
IIRC the Slee bumper is not rated for towing, probably for liability & the cost getting it certified. I’m sure some of you have towed using this bumper, any concerns?
Dean

I can understand all the concerns with damage received during an accident caused by a rear tire carrier, but I would like to attest to the quality build of Christo's bumper.

My wife was rear-ended once in her 95 Nissan Pathfinder with factory tire carrier, and pretty hard at that. I was really surpised because I always figured that the rear hatch glass would have exploded, but it held. The major damage was to the contact points on the body where the tire carrier attached. The two hinge points on the passenger side were pushed in and the latch and another point on the driver side and center mass was pushed in.

I bring this up because if you take a good look at Christo's set-up, you'll see that all of the contact points are on the bumper. I personally feel that for the tire carrier mechanism to make contact with the rear hatch, the offending vehicle would have to be a bigger truck where contact would be made higher up on the spare tire, past the center of the tire to leverage the spare backwards into the hatch. Otherwise, hitting the spare below the center of the tire would place the force of the contact on the bumper and its contact points.

Question is 'how would the contact points hold up?' Well, they definitely are beefier than those on that crappy Pathfinder.

I carry my spare on the tire carrier all the time. I figure that if someone rear ends me hard enough, maybe the damage would be extensive enough I could do the camper conversion by http://www.innovation-campers.de/d_main.html.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom