Needing some help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all - wondering if anyone can help. I picked up a '71 FJ40 and there is so much I don't know. Trying to do as much research as I can and have learned some, but starting with little mechanical skills, it is a little overwhelming. Does anyone know of a good mobile mechanic that might be familiar with the FJ40 that is close to the Randall Rd/I-90 area?

Here is what I see as the priorities and I am not opposed to paying for some services and trying to learn others. The balance I need to find is that I would feel more comfortable paying for some things and wanting to learn others. Part of that equation is also time. As a full time worker, husband, and father, time is limited. My goal is to get this into decent enough shape to drive it around a small lake town next summer.

I figure I gotta start with brakes and steering as two of the major priorities for safety.

Brakes - I have only driven the car off the trailer, into my garage, and backed it out and in once more. The brakes work, but I need to get them fully inspected and redone if necessary. I would feel more comfortable paying for this (life saving) service. Local brake shop said they might be able to do the service, but they will have to look at it.

Steering - Again, the steering wheel steers the car, but I would like to have it evaluated to be sure it is mechanically sound.

Where I need help to get started is the car will not start without starting fluid. I have no idea how to get this resolved. Again, local shop said they could look at it. If it's the carb, should I send it off to one of the forum rebuilders (no idea yet how to remove and re-install).

Before I take this to a local shop (around the corner from my house so proximity is a big plus), after firing it up with some staring fluid, and getting them to give me the laundry list of what should be fixed, and having to restart with more starting fluid to drive home, I just thought I might ask if any of you guys knew someone that might be able to help and would make a house call.

There is so much loose end stuff in this car and having an experienced set of eyes that could really help me get a better understanding of what I am working with would be a big help. I still don't know what all the controls do at this point.

My first step is to attempt to flush out all the fluids as I took as the first priority that I could tackle myself. I figure I should replace all the coolant (need to add an overflow reservoir), engine oil & filter, brake fluid, clutch, and trans fluid (again, please correct me if I am wrong). After that and the basic reviews of braking and steering, I would attempt to figure out the electrical issues (back lights not working).

Appreciate any input or insight you might have.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom