Need your help with camp location. Time Sensitive. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Austin, TX until 8/04 then Chicago, IL until 6/11
Hello Everyone,
I apologize for being unable to wheel with ya'll for the past couple of months. I had a board cert test that ruled my life for the last 4 months.

So, My current predicament is that my very nice friends have planned a camping trip in part for me to relax and kick back after my test. the test ended at 9pm last night and when I got home I found out where they planned to go.

It's called Knoll Lake campground, but the problem that I found last night is that it is closed.

They said that they knew that, but that we could camp on the "side of the road" and walk to the lake.
I fear that the lake is far and the road is narrow.

So can anyone recommend a drive up camp ground within 3-4 hrs from phoenix? fishing would be huge if possible.

thanks,

Patrick

Camping and fishing 4 hrs from PHX - try Hawley or Horshoe Cienega Lake in White Mountains. Get your permit at the outdoor shop near Hon Dah.

lots of camping in the area and prime fishing season is just starting up there.

You might look into Woods Canyon Lake up past Payson just at the top of the Rim. Web site says it's still open thru Oct. Nice camping and Woods Canyon Lake is within walking from the camp ground.

There's also Willow Springs Lake just a couple of miles past Woods Canyon. Camp ground there also.

A lot of camp areas are closed due to lack of budget to operate them. Call the local ranger station and ask about the status? http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recarea/?recid=54920

Most the camps grounds are closed by the season up north. By the end of the year the roads to most areas with be closed until spring. You could call the local ranger station rim to best info. I know Blue Ridge Res. is open even if the camp ground above is closed. But this is a lake better suited to boat rather than fishing from the shore. I call here to check Mogollon Rim District - 928-477-2255
You can also camp off FS 95 before dropping off into East Clear Creek. Then drive down to the creek. Not sure how the fishing is. Not to far of a drive back to Clint's Well. With no major hunts this weekend Long Valley Cafe shouldn't be to busy. I was over by the rim last weekend and weather was great.

i second woods canyon lake if you want to be able to camp on or very close to the lake... it is a pay site $18 a night per car, the spillway camp ground are right on the lake.. bear lake is a bit further up the road and is free but not as close to the lake and no amenities

Lorna & I camped around most of the lakes mentioned last month. Blue Ridge has been drawn way down for Dam repair. Boat ramp is closed with very limited access to what is left of the lake. Not worth going in my opinion. Knoll Lake closed last month. Visited Bear Lake, but don't know if it's still open. My choice would be Woods Canyon. Good luck and have fun.

Just spent the weekend at the Winn campground (Apache Sitreaves NF) just south of Greer. They kicked me out on Monday as it was closing, but a half-dozen other FS campgrounds in the vicinity are still open until the end of the month. Call, call, call... And man, it's c-c-c-cold up there at night. We had lows in the upper 20's. BTW, we were the only people in the campground, kinda nice...

Lorna & I camped around most of the lakes mentioned last month. Blue Ridge has been drawn way down for Dam repair. Boat ramp is closed with very limited access to what is left of the lake. Not worth going in my opinion.

It appears it's now open. http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/coconino/alerts-notices/?aid=14083 But haven't checked out the water level. I'll have to take a drive to look at it. I've never seen it anywhere near high water mark. I believe the east side of the rim road is in hunt unit 4A. That has a early elk hunt starting today. Be careful if you go hiking around in the forest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom