Need valuable inputs to help restore my 1983 60 series . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I’m new to the land Crusier scene . I have been passionate about land Crusier since when I was in school and I finally managed to buy a 60 series . I hail from Kerala india and it’s pretty hard to find 60 series or be it any land Crusier here . This adds more to the trouble of finding parts and reliable people to work on the vehicle. After months of searching I found myself a 1983 make 60 series running on 14b Diesel engine . I’m having few issues with the vehicle.
1 . Powersteering
The powersteering pump and powersteering box is leaking and the power steering works only while I throttle it or else it’s very heavy on the steering.

2. Breaks
My break booster has failed and would need a replacement. The fluid hose which connects to the right brake has worn out leaking break fluid .

my question is should I replace the powersteering unit or can it be serviced and should I upgrade to a disk break system from that of 90 series prado or of Toyota fortuner or should I retain the current drums breaks and work on it .

I’ll be adding few photos of my 60 .
Thanks everyone
Looking forward for all of your valuable inputs 😊

Welcome to MUD my friend .... :)

1647159374886.png

Welcome friend. Have your wallet ready and your anger management classes booked. Once you comb through the problems, you have invested yourself a trustworthy and lasting relationship with a cruiser that will take care of you IF you take care of it.

Welcome! New power steering pumps are still available from toyota but are expensive. I use Partsouq.com in the UAE for many Toyota parts. You can put your vin# in and start a "garage" and every time there after you simply pull up your vehicle and you can search all of the schematics for various parts to see if they have them in stock. This way you will be fairly certain you are ordering the right part for your truck. When their results say "nothing found" or "not available" sometimes it is because they do not have it in stock. It may be NLA or no longer available (from toyota) but there is no certain determination of this. At that point I will copy and paste the part number onto different toyota online parts dealer sites to try and determine if the part is available. Be mindful of shipping rates when ordering online.

Welcome. I'm new too, having just picked up my '82 less than a month ago. The most important thing I've learned is that the early models have their own service manual... took me a bit to find a copy, but I've put it into the resources here:

You can grab the 1984 manual from that link (some stuff will be the same, most is just Slightly different and it drove me crazy till I realized the error), the 2f engine manual, and a dedicated 1983 wiring schematic.. though I think it's for the US/Canada models (might be helpful).

Good luck with yours.... mine is going to take a year or two to get truly sorted, then I hope it's a lifetime vehicle.

Oh yeah, finding parts numbers nothing seems to beat the Toyota EPC (electronic Parts Catalog), there's an online version here:

Last edited:
The power steering pump is hard to rebuild successfully, so I think it’s worth it to replace it with a new OEM, since it’s still available. I got mine for around $350 a couple of years ago.

I have had good luck with Partsouq as well - fair prices and fast shipping. The shipping cost can be high but I think being in India, that is something you’ll have to get used to. Sometimes their parts prices are low enough that it offsets the shipping $.

The power steering gear box is no longer available new, but it is rebuildable - people in the US often remove and send theirs to one of three or four known rebuilders here. I am sure that there are shops in India that do similar work on gear boxes, but your 60 series box may be the first of that type they’ve ever seen.

You could start by replacing the pump and hard/soft lines, and see where that gets you. Not a bad idea to put an in-line filter in the return line to extend the life of your new pump.

I’ll let someone else chime in about brakes.

Welcome, and good luck!

I think at this early stage, the first things needed done are finding an international Toyota parts vendor who can ship you parts and having access to a website that can help you find the part numbers you need to order those parts.

Other members here can direct you to a good international source for Toyota parts, and below is a link to a website that will help you find part numbers for everything on your cruiser.

Welcome friend. Have your wallet ready and your anger management classes booked. Once you comb through the problems, you have invested yourself a trustworthy and lasting relationship with a cruiser that will take care of you IF you take care of it.
Haha ready for the troubles 😁.

Welcome! New power steering pumps are still available from toyota but are expensive. I use Partsouq.com in the UAE for many Toyota parts. You can put your vin# in and start a "garage" and every time there after you simply pull up your vehicle and you can search all of the schematics for various parts to see if they have them in stock. This way you will be fairly certain you are ordering the right part for your truck. When their results say "nothing found" or "not available" sometimes it is because they do not have it in stock. It may be NLA or no longer available (from toyota) but there is no certain determination of this. At that point I will copy and paste the part number onto different toyota online parts dealer sites to try and determine if the part is available. Be mindful of shipping rates when ordering online.
Thanks I’ll definitely give try this

Welcome. I'm new too, having just picked up my '82 less than a month ago. The most important thing I've learned is that the early models have their own service manual... took me a bit to find a copy, but I've put it into the resources here:

You can grab the 1984 manual from that link (some stuff will be the same, most is just Slightly different and it drove me crazy till I realized the error), the 2f engine manual, and a dedicated 1983 wiring schematic.. though I think it's for the US/Canada models (might be helpful).

Good luck with yours.... mine is going to take a year or two to get truly sorted, then I hope it's a lifetime vehicle.

Oh yeah, finding parts numbers nothing seems to beat the Toyota EPC (electronic Parts Catalog), there's an online version here:

Thank you so much my bro . Mines actually running not too bad , just few niggles and I think I should be sorted . But the links would definitely come in handy

The power steering pump is hard to rebuild successfully, so I think it’s worth it to replace it with a new OEM, since it’s still available. I got mine for around $350 a couple of years ago.

I have had good luck with Partsouq as well - fair prices and fast shipping. The shipping cost can be high but I think being in India, that is something you’ll have to get used to. Sometimes their parts prices are low enough that it offsets the shipping $.

The power steering gear box is no longer available new, but it is rebuildable - people in the US often remove and send theirs to one of three or four known rebuilders here. I am sure that there are shops in India that do similar work on gear boxes, but your 60 series box may be the first of that type they’ve ever seen.

You could start by replacing the pump and hard/soft lines, and see where that gets you. Not a bad idea to put an in-line filter in the return line to extend the life of your new pump.

I’ll let someone else chime in about brakes.

Welcome, and good luck!
Thanks brother . I’ll opt for a new pump then .

I think at this early stage, the first things needed done are finding an international Toyota parts vendor who can ship you parts and having access to a website that can help you find the part numbers you need to order those parts.

Other members here can direct you to a good international source for Toyota parts, and below is a link to a website that will help you find part numbers for everything on your cruiser.

Thanks mate 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom