Need to Ride... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, the stir crazy is getting unbearable. I need to go for a trail ride. I want to take the family, so a little awesome is appreciated, but getting stuck would be a real problem if I am solo. The Flagpole Knob trail was perfect. I have the OME BP51s with about 2.5 in. lift, BFG 285/65/r18 (32.6 in tires), and BudBuilt Rock sliders to help understand truck capability.

So the million dollar question... What would be a good trail that is no more than 2.5 hours away and can be done in a day?

I will likely head out on May 2nd for the ride. Others are welcome, but I have to go or the walls of my townhouse will really begin to creep in on me. I looked at the "Favorite Trails" thread and was struggling to figure out one that would be good if I was solo and with family.

So, the stir crazy is getting unbearable. I need to go for a trail ride. I want to take the family, so a little awesome is appreciated, but getting stuck would be a real problem if I am solo. The Flagpole Knob trail was perfect. I have the OME BP51s with about 2.5 in. lift, BFG 285/65/r18 (32.6 in tires), and BudBuilt Rock sliders to help understand truck capability.

So the million dollar question... What would be a good trail that is no more than 2.5 hours away and can be done in a day?

I will likely head out on May 2nd for the ride. Others are welcome, but I have to go or the walls of my townhouse will really begin to creep in on me. I looked at the "Favorite Trails" thread and was struggling to figure out one that would be good if I was solo and with family.
I'll be working night shift May 2nd, but I could do May 9th.

Flagpole would be the closest that's open you could definitely do solo. Having that great view once you get to the top also helps make it more enjoyable as lunch spot.

Flagpole would be the closest that's open you could definitely do solo. Having that great view once you get to the top also helps make it more enjoyable as lunch spot.
I did Flagpole with solo, definitely doable, just make sure you have a way to communicate and let someone know where/when you're going.

How about the Vepco Trail?

We started at the church and went to Long Run Trail to the Dry River Rec Area where we headed North to the VEPCO Trail. It's a stock friendly ride.

Last edited:
I did Flagpole with solo, definitely doable, just make sure you have a way to communicate and let someone know where/when you're going.
I was up there two weeks ago so I know I can do it... had my HT HAM and could not reach any of the Harrisonburg Repeaters out there. A little irritating, but I did not get into any trouble. I likely need to learn how to use the radio better and scan for active frequencies.

VEPCO trail is most commonly referred to as Second Mountain. There used to be a few other trails back in there as well - namely dictum ridge. One of the guys endo’d his 4Runner there

VEPCO trail is most commonly referred to as Second Mountain. There used to be a few other trails back in there as well - namely dictum ridge. One of the guys endo’d his 4Runner there
Isn't dictum ridge closed now? I remember seeing that somewhere long before Covid unfortunately..

Yes - dictum and the salt shed have been closed for quite a while. There are
other trails in the area however.

Wasn’t dictum closed because people off trailed there near the end and kept going on the private roads and tore them up? I remember hearing something about that 2 years ago.

Yes - dictum and the salt shed have been closed for quite a while. There are
other trails in the area however.
Shame. Really liked that spot.

Wasn’t dictum closed because people off trailed there near the end and kept going on the private roads and tore them up? I remember hearing something about that 2 years ago.
Rumormill I guess, but heard something very similar. Trashing/destroying the nearby private property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom