Need to make it a roller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have possible situation where there is a fj60 with the front 3rd member and axles out, torn down to the knuckles........and I may need to move it.

I can't think of a good way to tow it as it sits(front end facing up hill against garage). I just need to get it so the tires are on it rolling to get it on a flat bed or tow truck.

Parts, well.......I am pretty sure every part(and more) is there and brand new OEM(or better) in boxes or bins. but its not located someplace I can spend the time to put it together right. Owner was in process of re-gearing to 4:11 it seems, rebuilding front diff/axle, adding Newfields, and adding Power Trax? Project stalled about 5 years ago or more. I hate to slap new stuff on in a hurry just to move it but I guess I can.

no reason it needs the 3rd or axles in it to roll.....right? dont need nubs?

rear from what I can tell 3.7 and still together. Trany is H55F

what is the least I need to do to make it roll or........is there a way a tow company can move it without tearing it up or costing an $$$

hmm, guess I just need to put the spindles back on(can skip the seals), the rotors and nub body, then bolt up the wheels.....and maybe hook up the replay rods ;) (or not)

only thing I didn't see was the hub body(not the locking hub) but suspect they are there someplace.

Last edited:
Looks like a good project

That's why I have a spare set of complete axles laying around :). For instance, my '86 FJ60 gave up its axles temporarily many years ago when it went in my garage in Nevada. The axles migrated over to my '84 FJ60 parts vehicle to move it around the yard. A few years ago they went back under my '86 FJ60 so I could tow it to my place here in New Mexico to start my build. As I got farther along late last year the rear axle was swapped over to my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle so I could free up the FJ62 axle for the build. I'll do the same later this year with the front axles. When my '86 FJ60 build is finished (hopefully soon) I'll probably have to tow the stripped FJ62 donor vehicle (with the '86 FJ60 axles) somewhere to sell what's left, but I'll keep the axles. Once that's done, the '86 FJ60 axles will go back under my '84 FJ60 parts vehicle.

Couldn't a tow truck with a lift like they use for repo'ing cars move it? Do you have AAA?

Strap a couple heavy-ish timbers across under the springs (enough to come down lower than the center of the housing), drop it down on a couple of 2x4s skids / runners and pull it onto a flat bed? If you can't take the time to bolt on spindles and hubs......

Last edited:
Strap a couple heavy-ish timbers across under the springs (enough to come down lower than the center of the housing), drop it down on a couple of 2x4s skids / runners and pull it onto a flat bed? If you can't take the time to bolt on spindles and hubs......

Put a pallet jack under the heavy timbers mentioned above (assuming you have one or could borrow one) .

spindles, greased bearings in hubs, nut,star washer, locknut, roller tires on wheels and 12 lug nuts. take you all of 30 minutes. the guy will let you have that, won't he? go save it. good score!

Call any tow truck, show them the pic and let them do what they do. I have a local guy with a
deck truck. He has a small dolly. Hook truck with wheel dolly are everywhere.
Believe me when I say you aren't the first car they'll have towed with disabled front end.

Yeah I can put the parts on, just a matter of finding them, everypart laying around is new and in more than a few spots. If I found the hub body and old rotors, bearings I'd be good to go.

Spare axle crossed my mind....dont have one

I though of timbers and a flat bed

Tow truck should work....if he can get to front of truck, but it's up against house . I have AAA premium, they won't buy this just happened over the weekend, tabs are 2010....I already did that this year already , but driver was cool.

I'll talk to some tow guys today. Itd one thing when it's going to the junk yard......just drag it. I'd pay $200 to gwt it back to my place. it's not to far from me.

Want to save it, as it was what I wanted to make mine when it was stock, known the 60 for 25 plus years.

Probably, and probably shouldn't but it has some.sentimental value to me......and it's a darn nice rust free 60 with a fresh 2f rebuilt by dealer, MAF header, NEW OEM carb and lots of other stuff.

My plan is to finish it with my buddy and it will end up his some day....he is still paying me on the 77 fj4o I got him 6 month ago.....which he LOVES, but I also have had to supply him some parts, so his bill is not going down....lol.

Funny, I have not done a front eND rebuild for over 10 years, at leaSt the nasty part is done.....it's clean.

You got it! :bounce:

Probably, and probably shouldn't but it has some.sentimental value to me......and it's a darn nice rust free 60 with a fresh 2f rebuilt by dealer, MAF header, NEW OEM carb and lots of other stuff.

My plan is to finish it with my buddy and it will end up his some day....he is still paying me on the 77 fj4o I got him 6 month ago.....which he LOVES, but I also have had to supply him some parts, so his bill is not going down....lol.

Funny, I have not done a front eND rebuild for over 10 years, at leaSt the nasty part is done.....it's clean.

That is great! Should be very fun. Yeah the nasty part is over, the rest is just slapping it all back on. :) I just completed my first knuckle job in 10 years as well. Let me know if you need the big 54mm socket or the axle seal install tool.

Find tow truck and driver who has dolly's. A flat bed may be easier and better, as nothing turns on the move, it only has to be moved onto the bed.

The dolly's are used after accidents when the vehicle can't be moved on it's wheels. Not a big deal for a good towing company.

Good luck.

Options to add to above...

1. Since it's on what appears to be a cement surface, you might be able to use these vehicle dollies. They'd go under the spring pack or knuckle, strapped in place with rachet straps. Then you could slowly swing the front around until a tow truck can get at it.

1500 lb. Capacity Vehicle Dollies 2 Pc

2. If there's enough space between the front of the truck and the wall to fit a tow dolly, which you can rent at u-haul, then you could tow it home yourself. Slowly.

3. Skyhook?

my buddy said he saw the new rotors and all the stuff bolted up in the garage, so we will just put the wheels back on and get it on a flat bed, need to roll anyway.

I was thinking there was more apart than there really was

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom