Need to lose a few inches to fit in garage... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased an FJ40 with a spring over axle conversion on 35" tires and a six-point roll cage. Unfortunately, it is a few inches too tall for my garage (amateur mistake). The front clears, but it gets caught up on the middle and rear roll cage bars. Looking for some opinions as to what would be the best and most cost effective way to lose a few inches. Seems like the obvious ones would be to get smaller tires or replace the roll cage, but interested in what other options there may be. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
FJ40.jpg

Reactions: SMG
Looks like longer-than-stock shackles on there...5" pin to pin, maybe?

I'd start with a set of "stock" sized ones (little over 3" pin to pin, I believe), which would net you an inch lower or so.

Looks to be plenty or room for the tires, even at a lower ride height.

- Brian

I would sell the house and look for one with a taller garage.:beer:

I think harbor freight's atv winches are about 100 bucks. You might be able to mount on to the rear shock crossmember right in the center. Then weld a eylet onto the middle of the axle and attatch the cable with a bolt or something through the eyelit. Hardwire control of the winch on the dash or center console. Then everytime you go in or out of the garage you just flip the switch and winch down the rear a few inches to get in the garage.

I think harbor freight's atv winches are about 100 bucks. You might be able to mount on to the rear shock crossmember right in the center. Then weld a eylet onto the middle of the axle and attatch the cable with a bolt or something through the eyelit. Hardwire control of the winch on the dash or center console. Then everytime you go in or out of the garage you just flip the switch and winch down the rear a few inches to get in the garage.
:rofl:

send pic of garage door top area. Might be easier to get a couple inches there.

As well as the other suggestions... Sometimes adjusting the door to open a tad further can gain an inch or so.

I lucked out in that my garage has a loft. I ran the garage door track up through the floor joists so the door is now upstairs and doesnt take up 6" of ceiling space. Made up a quick trap door that opend and closes with the garage door. When i reframed the door opening i made it even with the ceiling.

I know not everyone has a loft but this can be made to work in a conventional garage as well. Just set it up so the track runs above the ceiling instead of below.

After all that im now back to square one since i put the hard top on the pos dammit!

D

I had the same problem after moving to a new house. Luckily I was able to notch my garage door header a few inches and put in a roll up door. No going back to 33s for me. Good luck!

I recently purchased an FJ40 with a spring over axle conversion on 35" tires and a six-point roll cage. Unfortunately, it is a few inches too tall for my garage (amateur mistake). The front clears, but it gets caught up on the middle and rear roll cage bars. Looking for some opinions as to what would be the best and most cost effective way to lose a few inches. Seems like the obvious ones would be to get smaller tires or replace the roll cage, but interested in what other options there may be. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!View attachment 1627721

Nice rig! Do you know who makes the wheels on your FJ40? I would be interested in getting a set. Would love to see some more pictures all around from front and rear too.

As far as your height clearance issue is concerned why not just unbolt the roll cage and cut off an inch on the back two supports to make it level with the front? Based on your picture it looks like it has a 1" - 2" rake.

Assuming it is a straight bolt on that is.

Thats why i bought a house that had a 8ft door to fit my 7'4" duramax haha

Nice rig! Do you know who makes the wheels on your FJ40? I would be interested in getting a set. Would love to see some more pictures all around from front and rear too.

As far as your height clearance issue is concerned why not just unbolt the roll cage and cut off an inch on the back two supports to make it level with the front? Based on your picture it looks like it has a 1" - 2" rake.

Assuming it is a straight bolt on that is.

Looks like Toyota wheels for a tundra/ fjc
5 oem steel wheels with tires for sale 845 NY - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Toyota Tacoma Wheel Part Number 69349

Appreciate the thoughts. The top of the back roll bar measures to about 84 inches. Once the back tires hit the concrete lip of my garage, it makes it even taller and hits the header.

Thinking swapping out the shackles will help but not sure if it completely gets me where I need to be. Will probably need to lower 3" total to clear without scrapping the top.

Does anyone know of a good roll cage that is level front to back? The roll cage on there is pretty nice, so I am thinking maybe just sell and buy another versus chopping up to make work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom