Need to get to rear view camera (rear door install, 2002 TLC100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to troubleshoot my rear view camera (rvc) which was installed by audio shop (14 years ago??) and worked well with the head-unit installed by them.

I since switched from that Alpine to a Pioneer HU, and the camera does not work with my new Pioneer HU.

I need to see what power does the rvc gets and from where, maybe it is just a matter of week video signal of low power...I don't know. The Alpine had a separate video module so maybe the signal was somehow amplified...I really need to test this out.

First I need to take apart the rear door trim. Has anyone did this? Any pictures would help a lot as well as step by step instructions.

BTW, with the help of this great forum and its great members, I managed to add a front camera to my new HU, I just need to sort out the rear, as this girl is FAT!!!))))

I highly recommend using trim removal tools for jobs like this. For the upper gate, start at the inner door handle by prying out the two rectangular plugs. Unscrew the handle trim, then pull that out. The rest of the outer trim can then be pried off using trim tools, starting at the bottom of the door. Do it slowly so you don't break anything. The bottom gate can just be pried off, if the camera is down there. I don't have any pictures but was able to figure it out pretty quickly a couple weekends ago when I upgraded my own camera.

I highly recommend using trim removal tools for jobs like this. For the upper gate, start at the inner door handle by prying out the two rectangular plugs. Unscrew the handle trim, then pull that out. The rest of the outer trim can then be pried off using trim tools, starting at the bottom of the door. Do it slowly so you don't break anything. The bottom gate can just be pried off, if the camera is down there. I don't have any pictures but was able to figure it out pretty quickly a couple weekends ago when I upgraded my own camera.
Yes, I will use trim tools. Thanks for letting me know about 2 bolts at the handle.
Hopefully I will not brake too many clips.

My camera is on the upper door BTW.

My guess would be that the camera turn on signal wire is not (properly) connected to the pio head. I’d pull that first, it’s easier

My guess would be that the camera turn on signal wire is not (properly) connected to the pio head. I’d pull that first, it’s easier
But the screen turns black as soon I put in reverse, so the HU switches to rvc, but there is nothing there video-wise...just a black screen. This is why I assumed that signal wire is OK.

Funny thing is that it works with old Alpine HU, but not with Pioneer :(

But the screen turns black as soon I put in reverse, so the HU switches to rvc, but there is nothing there video-wise...just a black screen. This is why I assumed that signal wire is OK.

Funny thing is that it works with old Alpine HU, but not with Pioneer :(

Hm. That’s strange:(

Hm. That’s strange:(
I hope it is the camera itself to blame. When I bought the front camera , I briefly connected it to the rvc input, just to check, and it provided some image. My assumption here is that Pioneer needs a stronger/different signal then the old camera provides.

While testing, I connected the old camera to the headrest monitors, bypassing the Pioneer HU. And funny enough, as soon as I hit reverse, a nice picture from old rvc is displayed on the headrest screens :). Too bad is of no use while driving )))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom