Need to find reverse wire for back up camera (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just install a double indash dvd, reverse camera, tv, & navi system. It looks freking awsome, but I have a problem in order for the reverse camera to work when I put it in reverse, I need to hook up the reverse wire from the radio to the revers connetion some where in the shifter are (I think) but I can't find where the wire is located in the shifter area can some one help me out? Maybe some one that have a wiring diagram might help.

just put in a manual switch...

I'm about to install a rear camera as well, after market type, I was going to pull the video wire and power wire for the camera through to the rear of the vehicle and then put a diode between the reverse light and camera so if the reverse light comes on then the camera comes on automatically, or if I manually turn it on from the dash switch, the camera comes on and doesn't power up the reverse lights.

100 TD said:
I'm about to install a rear camera as well, after market type, I was going to pull the video wire and power wire for the camera through to the rear of the vehicle and then put a diode between the reverse light and camera so if the reverse light comes on then the camera comes on automatically, or if I manually turn it on from the dash switch, the camera comes on and doesn't power up the reverse lights.
well my brother hooked it up so that the camera will be on all the time. but I have to hit the aux button on the radio to veiw it. I like that feature but I would still like for it to switch on the screen when I put it in reverse automaticlly. I guess that why the radio came with a revese wire so it can switch when your watching a dvd to reverse screen when you put the car in revers.

Got this from another thread:

On a 2000 LC/LX the speed and reverse wire are tapped at the ECU behind the glove box... Should be the same.

There are 5 connectors on the ECU, looking at ECU, from top to bottom

E5 / 31 pins
E6 / 24 pins
E7 / 17 pins
E8 / 28 pins
E9 / 22 pins

Speed wire is VIOLET E8-Pin 15

Reverse Wire is Red-Blue E8-Pin 2

You'll have to remove the glove box to get to the ECM.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/460083-amplifier-placement.html

The first picture is underneath the passenger seat. 2nd picture is passenger panel by the feet right side. 3rd picture is by the shifter. Where is this reverse wire?
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1967.jpg
IMG_1966.jpg

This is the 5 minute way.... Most ppl like to over complicate it.
Got this from another thread:

On a 2000 LC/LX the speed and reverse wire are tapped at the ECU behind the glove box... Should be the same.

There are 5 connectors on the ECU, looking at ECU, from top to bottom

E5 / 31 pins
E6 / 24 pins
E7 / 17 pins
E8 / 28 pins
E9 / 22 pins

Speed wire is VIOLET E8-Pin 15

Reverse Wire is Red-Blue E8-Pin 2

You'll have to remove the glove box to get to the ECM.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/460083-amplifier-placement.html

Mine was a red and blue wire in the drivers side kick panel by the door. I don't remember the exact pin as I didn't take pictures.

Basically, remove the side panel where your left foot would be while driving. The second lowest wire harness is white and kind of square shaped (instead of rectangular). I don't remember how many pins it is but the wire is red and blue. Test it with a multi meter to be sure.

Forgot to add mine is a 98 LC like yours so it should be the same.

Last edited:
Cool, now how about the parking brake wire, and 12v accessory wire? Thanks for the help.

When I did mine we drew power for the camera from the reverse light... Only downfall is the rear camera only comes on in reverse... One day I'd like to add a dedicated wire so I can turn on the camera anytime I want...

As far as parking brake wire, pull the center console.. You more then likely have to to run wires anyways... Tap at te source I say... I istalled a flick switch on mine instead come to think about it...

When I did mine we drew power for the camera from the reverse light... Only downfall is the rear camera only comes on in reverse... One day I'd like to add a dedicated wire so I can turn on the camera anytime I want...

As far as parking brake wire, pull the center console.. You more then likely have to to run wires anyways... Tap at te source I say... I istalled a flick switch on mine instead come to think about it...

Thanks for the post, getting ready to do a Rearview camera install and had planned to draw power from the reverse light as well. Hadn't thought of that downfall. I suppose I can add a switched power source so I can turn the camera on as needed. But really wanted the camera to come on when I'm in reverse as well. If I do both the reverse light will come on when I power up the camera right? Any way around this?

When I installed the reverse camera in my 80, I hooked the camera power to the ignition and the reverse screen trigger to the reverse light. When I go into reverse the screen switches to camera, and if i want to look behind me while driving I can switch the input from the screen controls.

Granted my setup is different but my point is this: I've only looked behind me while driving a couple of times, and that was in the first week. Nothing really exciting going on back there while traveling forward:meh: Whatever you decide to do, set it up to automatically turn on while in reverse(no switch flipping). HTH:cheers:

This is the 5 minute way.... Most ppl like to over complicate it.

I have a 2000, but I could not find the "Reverse Wire is Red-Blue E8-Pin 2" on my ECU. I took the wrapping off and it wasn't there. I did however find that wire on the side of the shifter housing. The only problem is I think I tapped the brake interlock wire because the reverse camera only comes only automatically when it is in drive and I press the brake pedal. Any clues? :hmm:

edit: I tapped power from the rear power port so the camera stays on and can be used when traveling.
I'm borrowing the pic from the cabin filter thread. Should I look again for the red/blue wire? Maybe I missed it, but I only saw two red/black wires.
Step_4.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2000, but I could not find the "Reverse Wire is Red-Blue E8-Pin 2" on my ECU. I took the wrapping off and it wasn't there. I did however find that wire on the side of the shifter housing. The only problem is I think I tapped the brake interlock wire because the reverse camera only comes only automatically when it is in drive and I press the brake pedal. Any clues? :hmm:

edit: I tapped power from the rear power port so the camera stays on and can be used when traveling.
I'm borrowing the pic from the cabin filter thread. Should I look again for the red/blue wire? Maybe I missed it, but I only saw two red/black wires.
Step_4.jpg

May be different on a 2000, but the blue/red wire is not on the ECU. I should really go snap a picture of it to post for this thread. Seems like it would help more than a few. I can't tell from your picture and my memory. Is that the kick panel by your left foot as you're driving? The wire is in a square shaped harness below a rectangular one closest to the floor behind the kick panel I mentioned. I don't remember how many pins are in the connector.

It goes without saying that you should test it with a multi-meter before you can be sure.

attachment.php

Picture quoted from a post above. This must be a right side driver's seat LC, however, the setup is the same for the left side drivers. The blue and red wire is in the white square shaped pin connector, located above the grey rectangular one. Again, if there is two blue and red wires, use a meter. They sell them for $5 at harbor freight.

Im going to try the drivers kick panel. I just taped pin number two and it did not activate the camera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom