Need to find a twist lock mechanism for my awning pole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I scored a slimshady awning made by Yakima at the REI garage sale last weekend. The only thing wrong with it is that one of the vertical pole's twist lock mechanism is missing.

Yakima has the whole pole for $34, which I might buy if I can't replace just the twist lock mechanism. Looks like they're out of stock on this item. If you any ideas, please let me know. I suppose I can take apart a telescopic paint pole and see if that'll work.

SLIMSHADY LEG, TELESCOPIC

not sure about the diameter, but maybe a shower curtain rod twist lock might work?

not sure about the diameter, but maybe a shower curtain rod twist lock might work?

Oh hey, didn't think about that. Let me go take mine apart right now and study it. The awning pole does hold a bit of vertical weight.

I recently used a telescopic pole from lowes to repair a broken arm on my camping labs awning...I cut the new pole to size with a hacksaw and pried out or cut out the parts at either end to use on the new one. It was plug n play from the pole diameter stand point. I was VERY happy with the outcome and how easy it was to fix

I recently used a telescopic pole from lowes to repair a broken arm on my camping labs awning...I cut the new pole to size with a hacksaw and pried out or cut out the parts at either end to use on the new one. It was plug n play from the pole diameter stand point. I was VERY happy with the outcome and how easy it was to fix

That's good info, thank you Scott. Looks like there are couple of choices to choose from. I'll measure the OD of my pole and grab the closest one from Lowes.

It was time to close up this thread with my repair. Hopefully it'll help others.

As suggested in this thread, I grabbed a telescopic painting pole from Lowe's and dismantled it. The locking mechanism is totally different than what is the awning pole but who cares. The OD of the Lowe's pole is a smidge bigger than my awning pole so that means a lot of careful sanding of two round pieces.

One thing to note, in order to extract the locking piece of the Lowe's pole, I removed the handle and then pushed the smaller diam pole through the larger diam pole. This required gently heating the blue handle with a heat gun and then popping it off.

I think the pics will speak for themselves but let me know if you have any question. First picture is the finished product.

20180723_100618.jpg

20180723_100435.jpg

20180723_095228.jpg

20180723_095216.jpg

20180723_095028.jpg

couple of more pics to help you visualize both poles better. Lower pole is the awning pole.

20180723_095022.jpg

20180723_095016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom