Need to clear up some confusion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
What's the stock tire size on 87 4runners? The stock gear ratio is 4.30 for automatics(that's what mine is).

Here's where I'm confused. I ran the stock tire size(assuming its 29" in diameter) on a gear claculator because I'm getting 36" swampers for them.

The gear calculator came out with a gear ratio of 5.50, but I know there's only 5.29 and 5.71 gears that come close to 5.50.

So which one do I pick? I know a couple of folks who have 5.29 gears already to swap in, but if seems like 5.71 is just too much and hard to find.

Opinions help in this case.

DigitalKnight86 said:
So which one do I pick? I know a couple of folks who have 5.29 gears already to swap in, but if seems like 5.71 is just too much and hard to find.

Conventional wisdom holds that the pinion on the 5.71s is too small and prone to breakage. That is why you rarely see people running them. Zuk (http://www.gearinstalls.com/) seems to disagree with the idea, there is more info on his site. Keep in mind that Zuk runs a Toyota pickup that is springunder with Dana 44s and the shackles in the front, so there is nothing "conventional" about his wisdom.

When choosing gears I'm inclined to go with the lower ratio to offset the heavier tire and increased rolling and wind resistance, not just the increase in diameter. They also will give you a better crawl ratio off road.

So go with the 5.29?

By lower, DirtyHarry means the 5.71s. I'd agree with him.
:beer:

Maybe this will help...

29" tire has a circumference of 91.1 and a
36" tire...............................of 113.1

So everytime your drive shaft turns once, you move 21.2" with your 4.30 gears and 29" tires.

With 36" tires and 5.29 gears you would move 21.37"
and with 5.71s you would move 19.8"

The 5.71s would be better. Get them set up with a solid pinion collar, and forget about it.

Okay, can anyone recommend a site of where to get 5.71 gears? Or maybe a place that can install them here in NORCAL?

5.71 are more easily damaged.
Stay with 5.29s or get a crawler

5.29 and 35's is what I currently have, speedo is spot on. Personally I wouldn't go with 5.71's unless you are very gentle on the throttle. my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom