Need to buy a cylinder head replacement for a 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 long bed pick up truck - HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the cylinder head on my 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45. Please message me if anyone is selling one or knows where to find one.

The background story is that I bought the truck in October 2020 from a consignment post from Elite Land Cruisers. When the truck arrived I thought the small amount of white smoke was normal when running a diesel. I have hardly driven it over the last two year and I took it to my local diesel shop for service and told me that the cylinder head was blown. They tried to have a local machine shop repair but they were not able to. I am pretty disappointed in myself for not having a local mechanic in Boise, ID inspect the truck before I paid for it. It seems that the previous owner (who bought it from Elite Land Crusiers after the Costa Rica restoration in 2018) did not have the correct antifreeze mix in Idaho and let it freeze. I am in Miami so there is no way that the truck could have frozen on me.

You might want to post in the classifieds and give more info on the engine.

@NBarona1988 ,

I perused a couple of your other threads re: parts needs/wants, and I'd strongly suggest checking out toyodiy.com - or any number of the ton of websites that will give you exploded diagrams of the vehicles, or the many EPCs referenced on 'MUD' that the community here uses to get parts for all manner of things; one-off parts replacements to full-on rebuilds/restorations.

You can go to any number of EPCs and enter your vehicle info and click/scroll through the entire parts lists to get the Toyota part numbers. Then a google search will get you a long way toward finding what you need. Google might just bring up extinct dealers that don't have any inventory, but more likely you will be pointed to some of the usual suspects (said with much respect) that this community knows and loves and relies upon for parts.

Once you have a p/n, you can either post up a wanted ad in the classifieds section of 'MUD', or you can call/email some of the many quality vendors that support this site and the cruiser community - there are TONS of very (very, very!) knowledgeable people in this community that will get you straightened out.

You've purchased yourself a very nice truck (and after looking at Elite's website, for that kinda money it oughta be very nice!). Take some time to read threads on here and get to know your vehicle. The more detail you can give us (and I say "us" loosely because I do not count myself among those who have so many answers) the better off you'll be and the quicker you'll get the support you're looking for.

Bottom line - and I know I'm repeating myself - get to know what you've purchased and you'll 1. have a lot better luck getting support, and 2. enjoy it a lot more.

Best of luck,
TDC.-

Last edited:
thank you very much for the help!!! I looked at a few parts suppliers online and none of them had the cylinder head in stock. I also put a post in the classified section for one. Thank you!

Visit a truck shop that repairs big trucks, they will have a big repair shop and ask them where they get their blocks repaired. Here in the Northwest there is a business called Northwest Motor Welders. Not cheap but a place that knows how to repair a crack. I am sure there is a place of similar skills where you live.

Thanks for your reply. I tried to have it repaired by a local repair shop and they tried to repair it but we’re not successful. They told me the only option is to replace it.

@NBarona1988 ,

I perused a couple of your other threads re: parts needs/wants, and I'd strongly suggest checking out toyodiy.com - or any number of the ton of websites that will give you exploded diagrams of the vehicles, or the many EPCs referenced on 'MUD' that the community here uses to get parts for all manner of things; one-off parts replacements to full-on rebuilds/restorations.

You can go to any number of EPCs and enter your vehicle info and click/scroll through the entire parts lists to get the Toyota part numbers. Then a google search will get you a long way toward finding what you need. Google might just bring up extinct dealers that don't have any inventory, but more likely you will be pointed to some of the usual suspects (said with much respect) that this community knows and loves and relies upon for parts.

Once you have a p/n, you can either post up a wanted ad in the classifieds section of 'MUD', or you can call/email some of the many quality vendors that support this site and the cruiser community - there are TONS of very (very, very!) knowledgeable people in this community that will get you straightened out.

You've purchased yourself a very nice truck (and after looking at Elite's website, for that kinda money it oughta be very nice!). Take some time to read threads on here and get to know your vehicle. The more detail you can give us (and I say "us" loosely because I do not count myself among those who have so many answers) the better off you'll be and the quicker you'll get the support you're looking for.

Bottom line - and I know I'm repeating myself - get to know what you've purchased and you'll 1. have a lot better luck getting support, and 2. enjoy it a lot more.

Best of luck,
TDC.-
Solid advice for anyone on this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom