Need the forum's advice on... color? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruzerDave

Land Shark Outfitters
Threads
Website
landsharkoutfitters.com
So I finally found an FJ62 nearby in my price range, and to my shock it looked really clean. Really, really clean. Needless to say I snapped it up and am now debating how to deal with the build of 'The Land Shark'.

I'd always pictured finding a rusted out shell and going the zombie-mobile route. But this 2-tone blue is just soooooo sweet & it's gotten so many compliments I am debating: should I try to keep him clean and maybe powdercoat stuff silver, grey, or what??? I'm just not sure black is going to look good on him...

This would be for the bumpers, sliders, and rack, maybe something for the steel rims too.

What do people think would do this cruiser justice? All help/suggestions appreciated, other than 'just go out and trash it' ;)

PS- I promise future questions wil be less froo-froo and more technical:rolleyes:
my fj62.jpg

i've seen some sweet powerder coat colors like pewter which might work well w/ your colors. matte black, grey...

It is hard to find a color match though (i asked for my eventual bumper PC). So you kind of are stuck with it not matching anyway - which is why i will go black for my bumper on a 861 blue truck.

charcol grey would look sweet.

CCOT has charcol grey bumpers.

Bumpers

congrats on the find!

Lot's of guys like the blacked out look. I removed all the chrome around the windows, the rain gutters, and the snake blinders. But I left the grill and bumpers chrome as well as the mirrors and door handles and license plate light piece. It's just my opinion, but these are semi-vintage rigs, and back in the day, chrome was king. So I think they look good when you keep some chrome.

I think black was available on the G model 60's sold in Australia. There was a mud user a few years back who posted pictures of his factory black 60. -macca- was the user name, I just checked the picture links were broken

Last edited:
I love your color scheme, and feel stock looks best. Keep the chrome.

Just got a '88 with the same paint scheme. I'm going to repaint to the original colors because its classic, and will help hold the value of the truck.

If changing colors though, I'm partial to dark grey, dark brown, and dark blue.

Nice find! If you trash it, I will weep for you. :crybaby:

Froofroo or not, I hear ya. I've got the solid dark blue 62 and was debating the same question recently when I got alloy wheels. If I go color, if I ever have money again, I will go gunmetal grey like RAL 7005 or maybe 7026.

I do agree with the above post about chrome though. I sold my clean chrome stock steels and I kind of regret that now. My plastic chrome parts are starting to flake a bit so I'm probably committed to color at this point.

Why change what's perfect?...hmmmmm?

another 2-tone blue?

Just got a '88 with the same paint scheme. I'm going to repaint to the original colors because its classic, and will help hold the value of the truck.

If changing colors though, I'm partial to dark grey, dark brown, and dark blue.

Wow, another 2-tone blue?!? Cool! Any idea what this scheme is *called*???

Might be some confusion, I am NOT repainting the rig, just considering repainting the aftermarket bumpers, sliders, and roof rack. Gloss black just doesn't feel right for these blues. Thinking the charcoal suggested above might be better...?

What are your plans for accessories???

I love your color scheme, and feel stock looks best. Keep the chrome.

Totally agreed, am keeping the chrome that's on there, just trying to figure out wheels, bumpers, etc? If I chromed sliders I think I would be banned from the trails;)

oh no you didn't

Yours (and mine!) is Paint Code 25H

See below:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/93896-fj60-62-color-chart.html

If you look through that chart, you can get the individual paint codes for the light blue and the dark grey.

You gotta wash and wax that thing!

Nick

Thanks on the chart, but wait a sec, you did NOT just tell me to WAX the Land Shark did you?!?!!! ;) IT'S A TRUCK! IT NEEDS TO BE EVEN DIRTIER!!! ;) I bought him so I didn't HAVE to wash & wax every weekend! Drat, I *knew* it looked too nice...
:hillbilly:

Yours (and mine!) is Paint Code 25H

See below:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/93896-fj60-62-color-chart.html

If you look through that chart, you can get the individual paint codes for the light blue and the dark grey.

Why in the world do they call it light blue on dark grey. The top is light blue, that I get, but the bottom is a dark blue - no? Maybe its a misnomer and the paint codes work out to be dark blue... hopefully.

Dug a little deeper.. and the OEM paint codes are 8C7 for Light Blue Metallic, and 155 for Dark Gray Metallic. Every where I've seen, PPG, Sherwin Williams, 155 equals Dark Gray. I could swear it looks dark blue.

Last edited:
Tan........... Unless of course you have blue/grey Int and you want the Ext to match the.
PB070165.jpg

boerboel313- first off, gorgeous rig, and awesome pic! Where the heck is that?!?

second, I hope you misunderstood my question, cause tan bumpers on a blue rig... I'm not feelin it;) I was asking about the color for bumpers roof and the like, not the truck itself, as my truck is *not* the tan or brown or white or bright blue I commonly see so gloss black doesn't feel right...

I've actually grabbed a cad model and will be drawing in some protection and slapping different colors on it to see what it looks like- will post that back here when I do.

Why in the world do they call it light blue on dark grey. The top is light blue, that I get, but the bottom is a dark blue - no? Maybe its a misnomer and the paint codes work out to be dark blue... hopefully.

Dug a little deeper.. and the OEM paint codes are 8C7 for Light Blue Metallic, and 155 for Dark Gray Metallic. Every where I've seen, PPG, Sherwin Williams, 155 equals Dark Gray. I could swear it looks dark blue.

krashe- I'm with ya. I went and looked REAL HARD at the sides again and can not for the life of me call it 'gray'. It is dark blue, maybe the publication was wrong or maybe there was a mistake at the factory?

But yes, at least on the Land Shark, it is Dark Blue Metallic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom