Need suggestions for springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey cruiserheads, could I ask for suggestions on springs?

I have a 78 FJ40 with BFG 33X9.5 AT's. It has what I think are stock springs, with shackles in place that measure 4 3\4 inches from bolt to bolt - The stock shackles I was given with the rig measure 3 inches from bolt to bolt, so I think it gives 1 3\4 inches of lift. With the 4 3\4 inch shackles in place my front axle is only 1 3/4 inches away from the rubber bumper. My front springs have no arch - they are pretty well flat. My rear springs still have some arch, and the rear axle is 4 inches away from the body bumper ( four inches of travel.)

I use this rig to drive to work and get out in the woods in Arkansas on the weekends - I am not a diehard rock jumper.:bounce:

My goal: A softer suspension with a better ride with the least amount of lift possible. I have a fifteen year old that cain't wait to drive and I don't want it top heavy. I know this thing is not a Cadillac, but I would like for it to ride better. My friend has safari springs on his 73 fj40 with a four inch lift and it rides a lot better than mine. What would you guys consider the softest riding springs I could get? (Sorry to sound like a wus, but I'm not young anymore.) Should I replace the front and back springs? What's the least amount of lift I can get away with and still have enough travel to ride ok and not bottom out on every bump? Please give me some suggestions on specific springs and shocks.
Would a two inch lift make this thing much higher off the ground?

Thanks a lot for any input.

The neophyte.

OME (Old Man Emu). There are several places that sell this kit. It has by far the best reviews for a 2 1/2" lift. HFS also has good reviews and also has a 2 1/2" lift. HFS is from CCOT. Another cheaper alternative would be to get your stock springs re-arched.

OME - link to Cruiser Outfitters

HFS - link to CCOT

Good luck! :cheers:

If you don't mind spending the money, my opinion would be OME. Many think they are the very best but pricey.

With their different options you can pretty much tailor the ride several different ways. They have a 2.5 in lift , Light Med or HD springs. And OME also has several shock options.

Do a search for CDAN who can steer you in the right direction & give you a good price at the same time. Plus excellent service.

HTH John

i have heard alot of interesting opinions........i think with alll the problems that may come about i am just going to order custom springs from www.alcanspring.com

just seems to make sense.....check the thread about 4"lift for fj40......

TPI Smoky Mtn Kit

I put a TPI kit on mine back in Jan, and its been a real improvement on mine. I had 2.5" front ( with SR ) in front, and I think stock rear with some LONG shackles in rear ( done by PO ), and that thing was a ball breaker. I put a Smoky Mtn kit on, and its like night and day difference. The TPI kit uses a longer spring so you get better shackle angle, has the teflon pads between the springs to reduce friction, and on the rear springs the center pin is moved back, so your axel winds up centered in the wheelwell. If nothing else, check out there website and compare with the others mentioned above. I know I like mine. Al

havent driven it yet, but i just swapped out worn flattened stock springs with 4.75 inch shackles for the manafree OME 2.5 inch kit. same length shackles and it gave me 3 inches extra height in the rear and 2 inches in the front. havent driven it yet, but it looks as stiff as it was with the flat springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom