Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Decided to make one of the last (hopefully) changes to my 40 series project in the way of wheels (rims).
I am fan of stock items on just about anything and this would include the FJ40/45 and its wheels. I am in the works to find replacements for the 16x7 aftermarket spoke wheels that it came with (non US rig).
I want a stock gray basic steelie type but I haven’t seen any FJ40/45 16x7 steel rims around and will not other than splits.
I have been looking about and reading up on some Mudd posts about rims for the FJ series Land Cruisers and pretty much come up zero on 16x7s.
I have looked at Suburban wheels, GMC, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, and many other plain basic steel wheels 16x7s with a good back space and a good center hole but it seems to be a bit of a hit and miss, or maybe I am going at it wrong, missed something or maybe I should just post this for you folks on Mudd that may of done this swap and can make this a bit more easier for me and possibly someone else also.
Again, just want to go back to a stock look with steel no thrills 16x7 steel rims that will have some back space due to the discs and hopefully without the use of spacers. If I have to shave a tie rod or two or adjust the turn stop bolts that’s okay I can deal with that.
I have included two photos, one with the spoke wagons just for reff..
One with my spare tire that is a spilt rim 7.50R 16 wheel that is better and stronger wheel for off road as far as I am concerned.
I know of the custom shops but cost on that can be very high.
Any information is more than welcome.
Thanks
tty.jpg ttty.jpg

Golly right there with ya... Wouldn't it be great to find a 16x7 rim with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern and a 3.25 back set? In just a steel wheel. Even if they didn't have hub cap clips I could take care of that by just welding them on. That would open up a world of tire options for us in regards to tires. Those rims in your link are all good but have a 4" back set. I've read anything more than 3.50" - 3.75" might be an issue. Maybe not. The center bore looks right I think, perhaps someone else could chime in with the correct center bore. Gosh I thought I knew that, have to dig up some files.

Well I am and have been looking. If I find something I'll post it here. You do the same. I've read about a few folks that have got rims from Stockton. I do plan on giving them a call and see just what the cost is. I am sure they can make the rim. I don't want to widen my stock steelies for preservation reasons and once again, a 16" rim provides a lot more tire options. I think a guy might still be stuck even with a widened 15" rim. Stuck as in tire options might really go by the wayside as time goes on. I am with you, 16x7 would be a nice rim. We'll see...

Thanks for the reply.
I have left an email with Stockton Wheels last week with my request for plain old steel rims in 16x7 with about 3.5 or 3.75 BS. Have not heard back but will post the information I receive from them.
Jacket on Mudd had a set made from Stockton for his 40 with disc with a 3.5 BS and said it ran about $100 a rim.
The Summit wheels look okay @ $80 bucks a shot and I think free shipping as long as I get the 4" center with the 5.5 lug space.
Yes the issue is the BS @ 4" but I believe I read that Summit will work with you on that issue just as Stockton will.
I love the split rims and would go with a set of them but the narrow tires seem to be fading from the market and when you find a good set of 235/85 16 tires they cost about the same as 265/7516s. That spare that is in the photo, well most local tire shops here now will not work with them for the liability reasons. I would go with the splits any day but the tube liner and valve might as well have 16x7.
16x7 is a good in-between wheel for the FJs. I am going to call Summit Monday and get some info of the set.
Anyone have a set from Summit Racing on there rig 16x7 steel?

Well thanks for posting that link, wow. That's got me wondering about Stockton now. I know some cats on here have also used The Wheel Smith ::
http://www.thewheelsmith.net/CustomWheels/OEMWheelsAccessories.html
But again one would need to chat with them about the back space. I am going to talk to all these folks too and we can compare the info we get. I also didn't know Summit could "work with you" on the back spacing. We might want to remember the other companies mentioned in that link just in case. Like "Early Wheel in So Cal" and "Pete Paulson in French Camp, CA". Looks like Early Wheel is at, well you guessed it http://www.earlywheel.com and the latter is at http://www.petepaulsen.com/catalog/cataloghome.html Last time I was in French Camp there seemed to be nothing there, an odd beautiful place. In searching those I found a lot of praise for a place named Southern Cal Wheel Repair, no website that I can find but their in Ontario, (909) 986-1236. Not sure if they "make" wheels though. As their name suggests "repair". Keep the information coming...

Thanks I too have come across those name in my web travels except for the SO Cal Wheel repair. Will know more this week I hope. Summit is still the cheapest and if right on working on the BS from 4" to what is needed, I seem to think that they may get my cash. As for Stockton I will give them a chance to hear what they have to offer and how.

http://socalwheelrepair.com/about/ That's all I can really find on them.
I have come across most of the ones you have shown. I still think Summit is the cheapest and if willing to work with the BS issue would be the best for my choice. As for Stockton, I will not rule them out but will be very cautious in my decision's from what they say and how they treat me as a customer. But with that said one can go anywhere even Wal-Mart and get crappy service.
Will no more mid next week, I hope.

5 wheels...$1,015
media blasted...50
powder coated...300
valve stems...40
balance beads...103
mounting...40
5 KM2's...1,140

Total...$2,688

No problems with Stockton Wheel.

Scrapdaddy, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM AFTER. Very nice. Man those wheels were not cheap. Was this just recently that they were made. I was under the impression that it was around a $100 a wheel. Any problems with the company in time, screw ups or anything. Were they made from their stock or old Toyota wheels you had for upgrading?
I love them but I am not to sure how long I could keep the cost a secret from the family finance adviser.
Forgot to ask if your BS was good @ 3.5 and what are they mount on.
Thanks for sharing the info and pictures.

Yeah, they ain't cheap! Just got them and haven't mounted them yet. Backspacing will work good. They had to do it as a " reverse " wheel, because of the backspace. It's just a matter of looks. I have a FJ55 with 60 axles and 4 runner calipers. I did have to grind down the calipers, just a touch, to get the wheel from not rubbing. The welds on the wheel hit the caliper.

At least 4 weeks wait, but they told me that going in, no problems.

I was going to try to weld clips on, but the VW clips weren't close, so no hubcaps.

Forgot: These are Stockton wheels, not Toyota wheels.

Nice-like to see them when you have them mounted.
Did you ever contact Summit with your needs prior to Stockton?
Yeah its too late now but one of the Mudd guys here makes and sells the clips.......oh well, looks good without
Thanks

Love2fly,

If you don't mind, who sells the clips. If they are the correct ones, it would be a good thing to have on hand.

Well those do look groovy scrapdaddy. Definitely post some pics when you get them on. Hearing something positive about Stockton is nice as well.
And X2, who is selling the clips?

Okay an update with information on plain custom steel wheels made or bought:
Contacted both Stockton and Summit by phone-

Stockton 16x7 steel wheel made - their wheel used type is a 20 series on web site - bear steel, with 3.5 BS, 6 lug, 5.5 lug spacing. Time 2-4 weeks, ships UPS or FedEx.
Estimated @ $155 per wheel x 4 wheels = $620 + the estimated $22 (shipping to my area ID) per wheel = $88 + $620 = $708
Contact
Nice guy to talk to but seemed in a hurry to get the call over with.
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html
Okay after I posted this information above I just received a email reply to my information request I sent Stockton on 12 April 14-

reads:

So sound like your looking for a 32 series wheels? If so Backspace will be at 3.75" minimum. We can also build the 20 series which is solid at 4" backspace. We don't have any stock 15x8 now. They are difficult to find but we can build them.

15x8=$185ea raw/ powdercoat=$45ea standard color

plus shipping

Thanks

I am a little confused with this reply as I was asking about 16x7 wheels. But with the phone conversation I believe that was the better side of information from them. I hope.

Summit Racing 16x7 in stock steel wheel, primed white - part number WVI-12-670604
6 lug, 5.5 lug spacing. Time - in stock ready to ship from both locations.
Quoted @ $88.97 per wheel x 4 wheels = $355.88+ $0 on shipping if over $88
Shipping for one wheel is $9.00
Contact
Nice guy to talk with - more than happy to give more answers to questions. Also have a Tec support 1-330-630-0240
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-670604/overview/

I think what I will do is buy one of Summits wheels and mount it up to check for rim spacing. If that works I will mount a tire and check the tie rods and other areas for spacing. If that works out I will go with the other three rims of the same.
Has anyone use this size wheel from Summit before on your FJ40/45 and if so what was your outcome with spacing w/disc.
Tires to be used are 265-75-16 AT.

Cheers

Last edited:
Need help.:confused:
I'm still looking at the Summit rim that has the BS of 3.5 to complete this replacement.
I did a BS check on the original Toyota split rim 16x5 that has a BS of 3.5 also.
Then I did a check of the Aftermarket white wagon wheels 16x7 that are on the FJ now, they come out at 4.3/16 BS
I think I am confusing myself but now I am wondering what is the correct BS - 3.5 or 4.3/16?
Should I check something else on the axle hub before ordering a wheel? Hate to get the wrong one.

Pic 1 wheel and tire on rig now 16x7 265/75R 16
Pic 2 measurement for the BS using the high spot on the hub inside flange area
Pic 3 is of the Summit steel wheel type

:deadhorse: Sorry

EmptyName_109.jpg

EmptyName_112.jpg

wvi-12-671204_xl 16x7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom