Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a great thread! I have been watching it for a good while and thought I would share my wheel/ tire combo.
No spacers. 235/85/16 MTs
IMG_0620.JPG
[ATTACH=full

I have not seen any posts were any one has installed clips for hubs caps on the Vintiques wheels. I would not be surprised if someone has tried it. It would be a lot of work and to find the clips even more challenging. I personally like the look without the hubs, but each to their own.
Lets see if someone chimes in with a step by step post.

Cheers

16x7 tacoma steelies from wheels ties and more, cost $221 for a set of 4.

1.25"spacers.

235/85/16 Nankang mudstar n889 from simpletire, $500. Love the look of the Nankang and it got good reviews.

20190320_224334.jpg

20190320_224239.jpg

I am also thinking of buying the summit wheels but I have a question for you all!

I am going to run them with 235/85/16's for that tall skinny look but wondering what is the main difference of running summit 16's x 7 vs 16x8's. The Nanakang tires can take up to 8" inch wheels. Would I have a more skinny look running the 8" inches? Any concerns?

My suggestion is just stop in at your local tire sales shop and ask them they most likely could give you a better visual understanding and you can make your decision from that.
Take care.

Now that's what a FJ40 should have for shoes and socks - nice

I am also thinking of buying the summit wheels but I have a question for you all!

I am going to run them with 235/85/16's for that tall skinny look but wondering what is the main difference of running summit 16's x 7 vs 16x8's. The Nanakang tires can take up to 8" inch wheels. Would I have a more skinny look running the 8" inches? Any concerns?

Hi. I saw that a 16x8 is within specs for this tires. Wondering if anyone has experience with that size on an 8inch rim. Vehicle is a 80 series FZJ80
also wondering if true to size.

16x7 wheel vintiques w/ 4” bs, 235/85r16 pirelli scorpion mud tires. Stock suspension.

View attachment 2151324

View attachment 2151325
Would you give a quick impression on the Scorpion mud? Looking for my first m/t, but I’d rather not get a E rated tires, which is many of them in 235/85r16. These are C 6ply, cool shoulder design, almost like a motocross tire , but not much info on them. Worth it?

Would you give a quick impression on the Scorpion mud? Looking for my first m/t, but I’d rather not get a E rated tires, which is many of them in 235/85r16. These are C 6ply, cool shoulder design, almost like a motocross tire , but not much info on them. Worth it?

The Pirelli Scorpions Muds are not that popular here, I think it’s really due to lack of advertising. I had a set of old school BFG mudders, these are nearly identical. Only thing that worried me is the lack of siping. The ride is just like my old BFG’s, no real complaints, and at $125! I could not pass them up. I will buy these again!

Thanks for this thread. I need new tires on my 45 as the first gen. Goodyear Wranglers I’ve got on it are getting a little long in the tooth as they say… I’ve been wanting to go to 16” wheel size too. Just ordered a set of the 16x8s and they showed up in two days. Still waiting for the tires. Wife doesn’t like the light gray, so I’ll be painting these. Test fit on the front (FJ60 front end) and looks like there are no issues, I was running a ¼” spacer on the front with the old 15x8 steel wheels before, doesn’t look like I need that anymore.

20200603_063757.jpg

Thanks again. Will post up pics of the final install soon hopefully.

20200603_063752.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. I need new tires on my 45 as the first gen. Goodyear Wranglers I’ve got on it are getting a little long in the tooth as they say… I’ve been wanting to go to 16” wheel size too. Just ordered a set of the 16x8s and they showed up in two days. Still waiting for the tires. Wife doesn’t like the light gray, so I’ll be painting these. Test fit on the front (FJ60 front end) and looks like there are no issues, I was running a ¼” spacer on the front with the old 15x8 steel wheels before, doesn’t look like I need that anymore.

View attachment 2328500

Thanks again. Will post up pics of the final install soon hopefully.

View attachment 2328503

View attachment 2328501
I have been loving mine!! One thing to note is that these are powder coated primer gray so if you take them too a powder coater to get painted they won't need to spend the time and money to sandblast them.

Also note if you buy them from Summit, you can have them price match what WV sells them for on their site. I got mine for $119/EA for the 16x7 and I am running 235/85 BFG AT K02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom