need source for 77 fj45 rr ff axle oil seal nut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After exhausting all local resources I'm still not able to find the nut/oil seal that keeps the oil out of the drum on the rear axle. It seems to be unique to the full floating rears on the back of 45s. Also has anyone got info on putting disks on the full floating rears? Thanks Brad

I ordered rear FF seals from my local Toyota dealer last year. They were sold here so maybe that is why they are available. See if any Canadian dealers do mail order. Be sure to get them to double check on the part numbers though.

This is the dealer I used.
canyoncreek.toyota.ca

Thank them for supporting the River Shiver.

I know the seals you're talking about....

I've got them on my FF rear end. CDan said they aren't able to be found (and when CDan says it--I believe it!)

I need to call $OR to see if they even have any (mine are good, but I'd like new ones). If not, I'm half tempted to go chat with a machine shop about manufacturing some. I've got to get one of the locknuts for that same axle made (broken in two!), and I figure I'd make quite a few of them.

45Kevin: are you talking about the oil seals for a 45 FF rear axle that look like a nut, with an oil seal built into them? They thread onto the end of the spindle. There were a non-US item, and later model FF rear end part only.

Dan

SOR lists some axle seals that appear to be the right ones, but it makes a difference whether you have a 75-79 axle, or a 79-98 axle.

Anyone know what the difference is? There's a difference in the lock plate vs. the U bolt plate. Anyone got pics of the "U bolt plate," or know definitively how to ID the axle year?

Dan

if the flange that the brake backing plate bolts onto has 8 bolts, its early and has the giant nut with the seal pressed into it. If its got 4 bolts its the later style, which I believe has the seal in the end of the spindle?

-Brett

The early ones had the seal pressed into the nut - the part number for the seal is 90311-38146.
The later ones had the seal pressed into the spindle tube. Sounds like you have an early housing.

BUT!!! it is possible to fit later axles to an earlier housing. If this has been done you need a seal 35 x 47 x 7

Measure the diameter of the seal surface on the axle - if 35, it's a late axle and you need the special seal. The earlier ones had a larger seal surface diameter and that's the Toyota p/no I've given.

As 45Kevin says, any Toyota Canada dealership has the parts listing for late 70's FJ45's. I purchased those seals a couple years ago for my full floater.

Those are not what keeps grease and oil out of your brake drums. That is the job of the hub seal and it is identical to the one speced for front hubs. The seal in the counter nut keeps gear oil from mixing with the wheel bearing grease, but really, gear oil on your bearings shouldn't harm much of anything.

Good luck

Might try this guy I have purchased some stuff from them. They advertise in toyota trails
4Wheel Auto Wholesale Inc.
8807-63Ave N.W.
Edmonton Alberta
Canada T6E-0E9
Toll free 1-866-468-2570

Kevin: are you talking about the oil seals for a 45 FF rear axle that look like a nut, with an oil seal built into them? They thread onto the end of the spindle. There were a non-US item, and later model FF rear end part only.

Dan

These pictures show the seal/nut assembly for the 07/80 and earlier Toyota full-float rear axles....

attachment.php

attachment.php

I ran the hub seal for a bit, with grease in the wheelbearings, then got some custom shafts, and didnt run the seals, so I ran gear oil in the wheel bearings. The hubs ran quite a bit cooler with the gear oil, and found out most larger truck(18 wheelers) use gear oil in the hubs. May not really need those seals???

Last edited:
BUT!!! it is possible to fit later axles to an earlier housing. If this has been done you need a seal 35 x 47 x 7

Yes, my spared axles are from later years and beside carry the spare axles and I carry those special sized seals, I bought the axles from Australian ebay and paid 60 bucks for a pair (back when US dollars still worthed something:rolleyes:). I took pictures of the part number for these seals but I can't find it now, I'll do it later.

SOR had them in stock, so I ordered a set of the seals.

Andrewfarmer: thanks for the part number! I think if I can get the actual Toyota seals that I'll use the SOR ones as spares or something (unless they turn out to be the good stuff).

Aside from the differences noted here, Marv Spector said the other distinguishing difference is the lock plate. If it is like mine, then it's an older axle.

lock nut.jpg

I'll have pics in the 45 section soon enough when I put it all back together....

Dan
lock nut.jpg

Hi-jack:
I was under the impression that 300m when hardened turns that maroonish/blackish color? or is that just a finish plating of sorts?

I have received two sets of 300M axle shafts from Jack at CTM and both were not coated or colored.

I also have a set of CTM 300M drive slugs for my 35 spline Hi9 full float rear axle, and they are not colored/plated/coated.

These are the CTM 300M 35 spline axles in the rear of my Land Cruiser:

Pic-033.jpg

This is a pic of the CTM 300M 30 spline axle(s) in the rear of a friends Land Cruiser.

:beer:
30spline01.jpg
axlelockout01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom