Need some suggestions about shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I owned my 04LC100 for about 6 months now, the previous owner has four "OESpectrum" shocks installed. Currently, I found some worn on the front tires, somebody said it's shocks issue and some other said it is an alignment issue, so I decided to change the front shocks and do the alignment, my LC has stock suspension, no modification. I have some questions below:
1. is "OESpectrum" a good brand of shocks? (If it is very bad I will change all of them)
2. could I only change the two front shocks?
3. which brand to choose? (no off-road, regular road, and highway driving) OEM? Bilstein? or Oldman emu?

Please let me know your suggestion, brand, and detail model numbers, thanks!​

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 12.35.24 PM.png

Hi, I owned my 04LC100 for about 6 months now, the previous owner has four "OESpectrum" shocks installed. Currently, I found some worn on the front tires, somebody said it's shocks issue and some other said it is an alignment issue, so I decided to change the front shocks and do the alignment, my LC has stock suspension, no modification. I have some questions below:
1. is "OESpectrum" a good brand of shocks? (If it is very bad I will change all of them)
2. could I only change the two front shocks?
3. which brand to choose? (no off-road, regular road, and highway driving) OEM? Bilstein? or Oldman emu?

Please let me know your suggestion, brand, and detail model numbers, thanks!​

View attachment 2545093

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but that looks more like “feathering” than “cupping”. If that’s accurate, I’d be looking at alignment, and worn suspension components (bushings, ball joints, or wheel bearings) before I’d be thinking about replacing the shocks.

If you just have to replace the shocks, on an otherwise stock vehicle, it’s hard to beat the OE Toyota shocks.

OEM, they’re cheap, they’re good so just do all 4.
I heard it's hard to remove the top nuts of the shock because of the shock spinning by itself. So is there any tricks, tips to do this job, or some special tool? pipe wrench?
And are there any tutorials for rear shock replacement?

oh~we really need to drill a hole in cargo for lossing/tighting the top nuts of rear shocks?:eek:

Does anyone know of a source to get the oem shocks in europe? I can only find them on partsouq and with shipping and taxes they're $700 for the 4 of them, which is a bit harsh.

Does anyone know of a source to get the oem shocks in europe? I can only find them on partsouq and with shipping and taxes they're $700 for the 4 of them, which is a bit harsh.

A European Toyota dealer?

A European Toyota dealer?
I'd be surprised if it were cheaper there. Everything costs at least 2-3 times more (I know, it's ridiculous) at the Toyota dealers than it does at partsouq (shipping and taxes included). That's basicly why we don't even count with dealer prices here.. And forget they even exists.
But seeing that there are parts of the world where they can be obtained for reasonable money, I was wondering if a small business or something are batch importing them in the EU, as shipping 4 shocks from Dubai itself is $230.

Bilstein 4600’s if you want a better handling vehicle. Firmer but not harsh - I find the OEM’s a bit soft. Just depends if you prefer ‘bmw’ ride to ‘Buick.’
After 200k my Bilsteins are feeling a bit worn, will replace with 4600’s again or upgrade to Dobinson’s or Ironman (designed for lift). Lots of complaints about Old Man Emu’s being harsh, I would avoid.

Kevin.

Edit: As mentioned by jLB - Definitely check suspension - sway bar bushings are cheap, and any tie rod or ball joint slop won’t be fixed by shocks.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Amayama? Similar to Partsouq but based in Japan, with warehouses in multiple countries, including Russia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom