Need some starter help - V8 Conversion with Downey Bell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thebigredrocker

SILVER Star
Threads
Bought my 76 FJ40 and most of the parts came in boxes. PO had purchased Downey Bell, I believe the clutch is a Centerforce. The starter PO had looks to be a stock FJ40. Will that work for my conversion and if so does anyone have pictures of how it bolts on the motor? Thanks

Last edited:
i had to grind the bellhousing out to fit a block mounted gm starter didnt have the mini starters back then .chev also used a bellhousing mount starter back in the day i never used one in any of my conversions .you may have to grind for the mini starter also or use the bellhousing mount that fits

It depends which conversion design you have, early or late. Early is a cast iron Chevy bellhousing with a 1/2" thick steel plate that adapts BH to transmission. Use a 3 bolt starter to the bellhousing like a late 60' s 1/2 ton truck. If later one-piece cast aluminum bellhousing, use starter from any mid 70's car with three vertical bolts to block. There are really only 2 possibilities. Take a picture to a knowledgeable autoparts store they know/have what you need.

It is an aluminum bell. So as to be sure I am understanding correctly, the Toyota starter I have is not an option. Thanks for the sharing your knowledge.

toyota starter does not fit a chevy v8 you need a chevy starter as stated above good luck

dgangle is not quite right, unless he is referring to an AA aluminum bellhousing??? Both Downey bellhousings, older cast iron and newer aluminum used the 1960's Chevy truck starter that bolts horizontally into the bellhousing. These starters are still readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom