Need some rad advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.binarydesigninc.com
I NEED my 62 for a road trip this weekend and just discovered a small leak in my radiator:mad: I tried to add stop leak and it seems to sorta work but not really (heard the leak this mornin after the drive to work). Options I've seen are:

A. buy new one (will do soon, but can't get one between now and tomorrow)
B. Pinch off that core tube.
C. Pinch and seal with an epoxy of sorts.
D. Use the "Quick solder" radiator stuff.
E. Try to braze the hole closed.

I have the tools to do all of these, just wondering if anybody has had any success with any of them. Or if any of you have a spare good radiator in Tucson, AZ pm me and we will work $omething out.

I had a leak in mine last year and jb-welded it. Mixed it up, put it on, left the cap off and let it sit overnight. Seemed to hold up fine for the next week, as I was waiting for the new rad.

i used additives, etc. final solution was a trip to the local radiator shop. went to the best place in town and when i walked in the door the guy said "wow, don't see many land cruiser radiators". this guy actually recognized radiators from every old car and tractor just like old high school buddies! anyway, for $80 i ended up with a like new radiator.

I think Mace on this board is looking to sell a used radiator if you are interested. You may want to PM him.

Don't use the Quick solder.
It is bad for the rest of the motor..

Braze is the best idea.

I do have a radiator but am not sure if the 62 has a provision for a tranny cooler in it.

Just bought one from ccot today...I'll let ya know if it doesnt suck...P.S. they are having a sale on them.

sl33py said:
landpiimp has had good luck and recommends performanceradiator.com (i think i typed that right). I was going to go that route when mine is crap...

rob

Second Landpimp on the Performance radiators. Put one in the '60 last year and it works like an OEM. Great quality, unbeatable price. Would buy on from them again.

-db-

I used JB Weld on a slow leak I had on my 40. Worked well for about 5 mo till I did the V-8 swap. Thats when I bought one from CCOT. Less than a year and it already has a small leak at the bottom.:mad:

Potato..no, really! Old ranch trick, old fart swears by this one..says to shove a raw potato into the leak, it swells, heats, fills the hole long enough to get you out to a store...swears he has had one truck this way for two years..be your own judge,,,but what could it hurt!

FJTOYMAN said:
I used JB Weld on a slow leak I had on my 40. Worked well for about 5 mo till I did the V-8 swap. Thats when I bought one from CCOT. Less than a year and it already has a small leak at the bottom.:mad:

Friggin A. I might have to kill someone if that happens to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom