need some parts HELP for an early axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im doing a regear on an early fj40 axle (1975 build date) and the axle has a wilwood disc brake conversion. Since the front end is apart I replaced the knuckle bearings and the inner axle seals. Went to replace the wheel bearings but cant seem to get the correct bearing for the inner hub. The outer bearing race fits the hub just fine and the "cone" seems to fit but when I install the hub seal I get this... its as if the bearing is too tall. I ordered some bearings from a second source and got the same bearing. What"s the deal? Could this be an even earlier hub maybe? Again this is an earlier axle the 8mm hardware for the spindle as opposed to the later with 10mm hardware. The hubs are noticeably different from the 76+ hubs as well so the wheel bearings are totally different.

here is the problem the seal is on the inner race so it certainly wont seal on the spindle
HUB.jpg

as you can see the bearing race is fully seated in the hub.
hub1.jpg

here is the other side. fortunately I didn't go ahead and pack the bearings for both sides before trying to install the seal.
hub2.jpg

'75 is not an early axle. Just sayin.

Dyno

Where are the old bearings/races?

What are the numbers on them?

08/75 and earlier 40/55 series drum brake wheel bearings/hubs are interchangeable...

Where are the old bearings/races?

What are the numbers on them?

08/75 and earlier 40/55 series drum brake wheel bearings/hubs are interchangeable...

here are the old races. part number appears to be correct for this year model fj40. the "cage" or cone needs to be dug out of the trash. Im thinking I need to do that to confirm anything.

outer 2720 inner 26820
bear.jpg

Yes, roller bearing numbers are important.

Why are those races broken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom