Need some opinions on my arb locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have an ARB Air Locker in the rear end of my fj40, i want a front locker too but damn they are to expensive for me. So i'm looking for an alternative, like aussie locker, but i understand that it is not a good idea to but a non selectable locker in the front. So i'm thinking about maybe putting the arb in the fron and the aussie in the back.

Questions
1. If i put an aussie in the front, with minitruck ps and 35s, how hard will it be to steer offroad? Doable?

2. Is there a high risk of snapping a birf with the full time locker, i know people say don't turn the wheel with a locker?

3. If i swap thirds, with the aussie, is it a good idea with me doing 90% of my driving on the road? Increase in tire wear?

4. I heard that even with an aussie in the front, it is supposed to disengage when you turn the wheel so it won't be that difficult to turn.

I know this a lot of questions, but this is a big deal for me. Thanks.

"4. I heard that even with an aussie in the front, it is supposed to disengage when you turn the wheel so it won't be that difficult to turn."

As I understand it, for street driving, if you have the front hubs unlocked, the aussie locker will not have any effect on drivability. It only works with the front hubs locked.

It is doable but they are a bitch to turn, they do not disengage when turning the wheel.
My suggestion put the ARB in the front or save you money for another ARB.

I run the Aussie front and rear in my truck. If you have power steering, turning with the Aussie Locker is not that bad. You will see a slight decrease in turning radius. If you don't have power steering, you probably want to put the ARB up front. I don't think the road characteristics of the the Aussie in the rear are that bad on the road. The noise is minimal, and you drive about ten minutes before you adjust to driving so it doesn't clunk around the corners. I don't even notice it anymore.

"4. I heard that even with an aussie in the front, it is supposed to disengage when you turn the wheel so it won't be that difficult to turn."

As I understand it, for street driving, if you have the front hubs unlocked, the aussie locker will not have any effect on drivability. It only works with the front hubs locked.

I know that i think i wasn't clear enough in the question, i meant when your offroad with the hubs locked, i understand that as long as the hubs are unlocked it has no affect on steering.

I run the Aussie front and rear in my truck. If you have power steering, turning with the Aussie Locker is not that bad. You will see a slight decrease in turning radius. If you don't have power steering, you probably want to put the ARB up front. I don't think the road characteristics of the the Aussie in the rear are that bad on the road. The noise is minimal, and you drive about ten minutes before you adjust to driving so it doesn't clunk around the corners. I don't even notice it anymore.

What steering setup do you have, i do have power steering but it's mini truck so not that powerful, i'm guessing you have saginaw. thanks for the response.

Yes, I run the saginaw, with mini-truck knuckles and hi-steer.

I run the ARB in front and the Lockrite in the rear. YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE turning the wheels with a aussie or lockrite in the front. Sometimes it will be impossible to turn the wheels until you backup and turn to get the locker unlocked to turn forward. Been there, done that and put that ARB in the front, works great!

I have the automatic locker in the rear and the ARB in the front, and no PS.. Having no PS is the reason I went selectable.. If I were in your situation, I'd put the ARB in the front and get an Aussie for the rear.. I have no trouble with mine setup like that.. Tyre wear might increase in the back, but if you rotate them properly, over a period of time the wear will be negligible..

I run the ARB in front and the Lockrite in the rear. YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE turning the wheels with a aussie or lockrite in the front. Sometimes it will be impossible to turn the wheels until you backup and turn to get the locker unlocked to turn forward. Been there, done that and put that ARB in the front, works great!

Ditto

Hi All:

I have to chime in supporting moving the Air Locker to the frontend and installing an Aussie Locker or Lockrite in the rearend.

I am running an Aussie in front and the Lockrite in the rear. Turning the front with Saginaw can still be hard - I can't imagine that your mini-truck PS will be able to handle the resistance.

Driving on the street with a Lockrite or Aussie Locker just requires remembering a couple tips. 1) Make sure that both of the tires on the rearend have the same air pressure; 2) when going around corners either let-up on the gas or just apply even throttle - do not accelerate until the turn is fully complete. Following these will ensure smooth and quiet driving! :D

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom