1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some Linux help

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by landtank, Aug 18, 2006.

1. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Well my daughter will be starting college in the fall in computer science. She's got some of the criteria and having linux on her laptop is one of them.

Now I'm ok with the windows based stuff but the linux is brand new to me.

So I re-installed XP and partitioned her 40gb drive into two partitions of 20gb each.

I then installed XP Pro on the first partition.

Next I installed SUSE linux 10.1 on the second.

Now when Linux boots up the graphics are all scrambled.

If this was XP it would be a driver issue. Now I never did complete the XP install by getting the system required drivers for the video, sound, network and other cards prior to installing Linux.

Was that a mistake? And is there a better configuration like having three partitions so that there would be a common logical drive for storage that both OS sytems could access. Is there a better Linux package out there?

Thanks for any help

2. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

your first problem is using Suse. If you were using Arch or a Debian based Distro I might be able to help but Suse is a lil in the wrong direction for me.

On a side note Arch is a VERY user unfriendly distro. Try Ubuntu/Kubuntu for ease of use and it has better package management too! http://www.ubuntu.com/

3. miletwo

miletwo

Albums:
    Ditto the Ubuntu recommendation for your daughter. She may be comp sci, but she should still be afforded the opportunity to have a semi user-friendly distro. Also, since Ubuntu is a more desktop oriented distro, it's more likely to have the graphics sensing steps built into the install and drivers are more likely to be packaged there too.

just a thought. It should be a snap to reformat that partition and pop on a new distro.

Good luck.

4. RavenTai

RavenTai

I am not a very experienced Linux user but of the ones I have tried (Mandrake, Suse and Debian) Fedora was the easiest to use, in general I find learning Linux to be very time consuming

Linux will be able to access data on the windows partition so anything stored on it will be available to both OS's, windows will not be able to access the linux partition, you could probably drop the linux partition down to 10GB or so, all you need is room for a relatively compact OS and programs, most of the data can go on the other partition.

You may want to find out what vid card is in her laptop and see with linux distros come with that driver, it would be easier if you can get up and running without having to deal with driver problems right off the line.

5. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Thanks guys, I'm downloading Ubunta right now. Only direction we got from the school was LINUX and there seems to be a bunch of them out there.

6. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Does linux read NTFS or only FAT32

7. RavenTai

RavenTai

both

8. 80SeriesFan

80SeriesFan

Landtank , if you still have my # you can call me and I can guide you through if you didnt get it right... the best way to install though would be the Debian net install... however you need to start it in runlevel 3 in suse , and then reconfigure the x windows options, more then likely either your vid card or lcd is not configured correctly, easy fix really.

9. 4alarm

4alarm

I like to create a seperate partition for the swap files. So if dual booting Windows and Linux I'd have a minimum of 3 partitions.

As far as your graphics go, it's basically a driver issue. It's just harder to fix in linux then in windows. You actually have to edit the config files to make changes. My advise is if you reinstall some form of Linux, have it boot directly to the shell, then activate the graphical interface from the shell until your sure your config file is correct. You can always change it to boot into the GUI later.

10. mabrodis

mabrodis

Very true, and if this is mandated just to have some version of Linux, my guess is they would be using it only for the command line interface, and probably not a x-win/x-org setup...

The only recent version of linux I've used (and support at work) is RedHat Enterprise & Fedora...I know alot of people don't like RedHat/Fedora, but for someone without a large background of Linux knowledge, it seems semi-straight-foward. I have Fedora core 5 running on a computer here at home...my personal opinion is the GUI part of Linux (x-win/x-org, etc) is not that easy to deal with, so I like to use Linux for web servers, things that you need to get down and dirty with at times, packet sniffing, etc...but as far as doing everything in a x-org environment, I find that tough (versus being able to boot into windows and work there)...maybe I just don't know enough of what I'm doing...(I think I might have been told that in the past) :D

11. 80SeriesFan

80SeriesFan

the x- config file is really easy to modify.... depending upon what flavor linux you are running there are top notch config programs you can run as well.

I preffer debian, due to the netinstall for security purposes... In my opinion buying a all out box set of any operating system is as dumb as king george bush.....

With debian you install only what you need..... and it is a free dl of the netinstall....

What do I know, I only do this for a living..... ;)

12. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Thanks for responding everyone. I ended up getting the Ubuntu release 6.06.1. It installed just fine. However I didn't create a separate swap partition, that would have made 3 for Linux. During the install it just said that it was recommended but only if you didn't have enough physical memory. Well she has 768mb of ram and I figured that should be enough.

Sure did install easier than any XP I've ever done. Right out of the gate everything worked including the WIFI for internet access.

I also bought a HD for my home computer to install it on so I could help her out if she had some problems down the road.

Thanks again

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">