Need some insight!!! Speedo cable leak fix. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1970 Fj40. Ordered new o-ring to fix leak from Speedo cable at transfer case.
It doesn’t fit Into the recessed area for it. Pictures attached. Does it really go in there? Please advise if it’s possible the wrong o-ring got bagged. Or if anyone has any tricks on how to shrink an O-ring. New one is the bigger one.

20A4AA4F-24B9-46AC-A5F3-21C33909D4DB.jpeg

87977315-1A26-46C0-9F50-66F580824235.jpeg

DE9A5C5A-0A92-4F6A-9E3F-E92925559314.jpeg

71690D64-0636-4D14-812E-2C1B5A430029.jpeg

I bought an assortment of O-rings at the hardware store and put two: one in the recessed area, and the other on the outside where the speedo screws in

generally, you can get a tiny bit of shrinkage by putting an O-ring in the freezer (but remove before it freezes stiff and becomes brittle), but it doesn't work so well with small diameters

Thanks for the tips, I was hoping for more technical answer just actually curious as to how this o ring is supposed to go into a hole 2mm smaller. It came from the dealer so I figured I’d be good to go....

I bought an assortment of O-rings at the hardware store and put two: one in the recessed area, and the other on the outside where the speedo screws in

generally, you can get a tiny bit of shrinkage by putting an O-ring in the freezer (but remove before it freezes stiff and becomes brittle), but it doesn't work so well with small diameters

it's possible they might have different diameters in the different year transmissions (and a lot of the parts for the older vintages are rapidly becoming unobtainable) - I have never delved too deeply into that, others here would know more

this topic requires alot of trial and error till u get it

i struggled for years till i was able to one day , roll that dam big o-ring into the holes or bore , till it came into its Groove or Reliefe cut where it needs to live now ..........

once you get it you will feel silly for a bit , but nest time you will know !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom