Need some ideas on a wrap bar. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
A little history on my 40. PO had a wrap bar. It sheared off the cross member wraping under the truch and ripping the rear axle out.

So this is what I have left.

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

I've got two 3/4 hiem joints comming and plan on welding the holes back closed on the cross brace. Then welding something to it for better support. then using a shackle hanging down to the wrap bar which I plan on using two pieces of 2 1/4 pipe welded in a triangal to the rear with two mounts in the rear. the top one being a hiem joint and the bottom being a shock mount (woody sugestion). What do you think. And is the cross member strong enough for this kind of purpose?

try this

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50919

single bar design
i have templates for the rear axle brackets.
it was actually pretty easy to fab up. :D

i may possably be making one of these for a local 40 owner in the near future(1-3 weeks from now)
if you can wait, i'll do two at the same time,or get pics and specs and pass them on to you.

Last edited:
purchase some tubing with the ID the same as the OD of that crossbar....split in half, weld it on...

I also used the stock crossbar for my wrap mounting, and it held fine, but everyone has different rust points on the rig....

don't forget your t-case :D

Trollhole said:
Hit a goldmine today!

And cheap too.

08-05-05_1244.jpg

I can just cut these apart and use them.

Tractor Supply, Marshall?

That's what Bill Cross made his out of. He's the one with the yellow cruiser you met during our pre-Tellico visit last may.

The single mount design doesn't work so well and does cause binding and what you see that has happened on your X-member.

You need to have a 2-point mount on the axle so you can hang it with a shackle fron the X-member like what is shown in Bustanutley's photo.

Jim

those links wear out quickly and make lots of noise....not designed for suspension-type work. I know people who have used them, some successfully, but it's a pretty hack way to go about it....

They work on a wrap bar since they see minimal movement and aren't positioning the suspension, only controlling the wrap.

I was reading that some guys cut the ends off of the long spring from and extra set of leaf springs and place it on top of the spring pack right between the eyelets. This is supposed to help prevent axel wrap. Has anyone tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom