1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help with SEO

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dieselcruiserhead, Aug 12, 2005.

1. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Some of you guys may know that I am a web developer. Anyway, one of my customers is a helipcopter flight school (www.ulaheli.com). I despirately need some help with SEO to help him show up better on some of the organic searches. I "optimized" the site as best as I know. It is showing up first for "utah helicopter training" on yahoo. Where he really wants to show up is "helicopter training" and "helicopter flight school" and dialects. For some reason Google really hates the site. It barely shows up when you do a search for "Upper Limit Aviation" - the name of his company! I did ad a "subnav" in HTML and have submitted it and even google appears to be crawling all pages dsespite the flash navigation (the customer really likes flash). Is there anyone out there that does SEO or has recommendations. We may be willing to pay someone as well as we are currently engaged in a costly pay-per-click campaign on both google and yahoo.... But it has actually paid for itself so he is happy... Andre

2. loeky

loeky

hey there -

i'm also a developer here in sf.

i took a look at your code and while you've got the keywords and description, you should deffinitely look at putting more html text on the page as well as adding an html navigation string on the bottom. this will serve both the SEO purpose as well as for people that still don't have flash.

the text you should have could include some of the verbiage from the site as a longer description along with the location and contact phone numbers. there are a few ways of hiding this - the easiest being to make the text the same color as the background of the page - the other is to put the text on a div and align it at the top of the page [so it's the first thing the search engine reads, aside from metadata] and then cover it up with another div, setting your z-index values appropriately. hiding it out basically.

also, if you want the engine to pick up on "MOUNTAIN HELICOPTER TRAINING" or "helicopter training, trim down your description to be more accurate. putting it as "Helicopter Aviation Flight Training School in Salt Lake City Utah" is wordy and not precise. make a couple sentances more precise instead of one big sentance that makes no sense, or is not as accurate to how people would search for this kind of thing.

give that a whirl[hah!] and see what happens.

best,
    matt

3. loeky

loeky

you touched on it, but i should have added:

with this kind of thing i would think there would be other sites that could help add to his credibility through cross linking. even its from community sites like citysearch.com or local paper websites or somesuch. the avenue to market online is limitless...

those cross links will deffinitely favor well for ongoing traffic as well as more immediate SEO results.

good luck,
    matt

4. chitown40

chitown40

Add your keywords and description into the <body> of the document. Search engines are more focused now on meta descriptions and body content than previously with the keywords. Use your 'keywords' as often as possible in plain 'ole text within the document. You can also add some comment tags with your keywords within the body since they seem to also pick up on them as well.

5. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    just add "Tits" it will show up on everything I google. I just dont understand how i can look for a watch and get a "peeing web site"?

6. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

I found the Problem :cheers:
    On Google, use the 'cache' Syntax

Try these, first:
    cache:ulaheli.com - Not found
    cache:www.ulaheli.com - Opens up the Page :confused:

Then try these:
    cache:ulaheli.com/homepage.htm - Not found
    cache:www.ulaheli.com/homepage.htm - Worked correctly

Google treats the with, or the without www. as a Duplicate. :censor:
    http://google.net/search?q=site:Jonathan-Ferguson.tk&hl=en&lr=&filter=0

Google has only two links listed without www. eventhough your CNAME appears correct.
    ulaheli.com/links.html
    ulaheli.com/flash/intro.swf

7. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Cool Jonathan... So how do I fix this exactly???

8. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

You can't, it's just how Google is.