1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help with Ohms/Car Stereo/ and outdoor speakers

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dieselcruiserhead, Aug 3, 2005.

1. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

It is official, I am going to Burning Man :) The relevant info is I'll be bringing the cruiser there. I am thinking I'll slap oin the full roof rack and even possibly the trailer as well. I wanted to rig up a neat outdoor speaker system that will attach to my roof rack, I was thinking of using indoor/outdoor speakers. I'll run them off a standard in car dash. I was thinking of wiring up the regular speakers in all 4 corners for the trip, then wire up a cheapo (like 100W) amp and have a flip switch to turn it off and on for the outdoor speakers? Problem is most in-dash car stereos are 4 ohms only and from what I have read 8 ohms is for home stereo and 4 ohms is most car/marine audio and they are not very interchangable? Problem is it seems like 90% of the indoor/outdoor speakers are 8 ohms so I guess not interchangeable?

Here are some good options for outdoor speakers. Problem (especially looking on Ebay) is there is a LOT of junk out there so I don't want to fork down $70 for a piece of junk... I did find some good 4 ohm models though...

Ohms on these two range from 4-8 ohms so they are variable:

DPI Speakers, about 3 or 4 down:
    http://www.hometech.com/audio/outdoor.html
    No review - these c

I like the look, size, and price of these. 4-8 Ohms variable, no review. If I rmember correctly AudioVox is a POS brand?
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Audiovox_Je...eaker/4505-7869_7-31288214.html?tag=pdtl-list

And my favorite are these in price and look and the great reviews but they are 8 ohms only:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001OXQB/104-8956191-5873566?v=glance

These look like good little suckers with decent review and these are 4-6 ohms which is cool:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172563&vi=tech-data

What do you all think. THe only reason I am so anal aobut this is because I have made this mistake before and had two results. I had a set of these Bose speakers (whch were just AWESOME) that I let go with a car I sold (doh!!)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-151-Speake...793660722QQcategoryZ14995QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I powered these with a car radio deck and they were great. This whole time I thought they were 8 ohms but I am just noticing now that they are 4 ohms and that is probably why they were good little speakers...

And a set of Costco indoor outdoor that were just junk on my 2nd to last 40. So thanks for any advice... Also what about mixing 6 ohms with 4 ohms, does that not work either?

2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Ryan should be able to help you out, just don't mention Bose.

3. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

If you are putting up more than one speaker, wire it in parallel with another. 8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4 ohms ... problem solved

4. LabRat11

LabRat11

Take many pics and post them here after your trip.....

At least post the ones you can .... I hear many interesting things happen there????!!

5. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Yes, what he said. You can run up to two-8ohm speakers per channel (4 total) when wired in parallel. You can also run one 8 ohm speaker per channel. The amplifier just won't put out its rated power but no harm done.

6. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Cool thank you guys I appreciate the advice. Yes I will definetely take lots of pics and will post them. It should be a total blast... I am also looking forward to the next month of getting the cruiser ready and done up to live out of it for a week or so. Cruiser is great and very drivable/reliable but I never really "finished it" so there are lot of little things, wistling wind, vibration, noise etc that are cool but after 10 hours on the road will wear out. Got my rear bumper done with hitch and scored a awesome M116A 3/4 Ton military trailer that is just the coolest. Just not sure if I plan to go all out or now, our own shower, 55 gallon drum of water, 55 gallon drum of biodiesel? (aka 1000 lbs of fuel/water) on top of the weight of the trailer and the weight of passengers/gear etc, or if I should do the full roof rack alone and bring enough water but be sparing and little/no extra biodiesel but use a lot less fuel regardless. There will also be 2-3 other vehilces in our camp/group as well so I don't need to shoulder all the stuff but I have a feeling I have a lot of it. The other rig is a Tacoma but with a full rack as well (if I remember correctly). Then for sleeping, I am thinking I'll throw a plywood deck on the roof rack (I need to do something about) then maybe the tent up there. Need to buy a tent so I am thinking something that will fit in the pattern of the rack. Need a good mattress or thermarest anyway. Or maybe just a cool place to watch the scene and/or sunset up there and put the tent on the ground? If I bring the trailer I can bring a lot more junk that will make it a little cooler, maybe a couch etc? Trailer would be neat for cooking on etc as well. Anyway, the dillemmas :D :)

7. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

I figure a hide-a-bed couch on the roof would way out-cool a roof top tent. Don't you agree?

8. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead