Need some help. Water pump still leaking. BJ74 13bt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I flushed my cooling system and low and behold, it started a leak at the water pump. I pulled everything out and the leak appeared to be coming from the disintegrated paper gasket.

The new gasket that came in was metal. I scraped the old gasket and replaced. It appears to be leaking from the same place but it is hard to tell. Should I have not used this gasket or is there somewhere else it could be leaking from. I could really use some help. I am having to rely on my motorcycle which sucks when ur trying to remodel a house and cant get to the hardware store to pick up supplies.

Also build date is OCT 88. I had an earlier thread where I was looking for info on clutch and radiator fans. My Japanese RH cruiser had the fans of a different region model, is it possible the pump was different as well and needed a different gasket?

I doubt the pumps would be any different where it bolts to the block but the water pump sounds like its leaking from the seal on the prop shaft. I would replace but I would also go to the parts shop with the old pump and fan to make sure you buy the right pump.
Good Luck

Wishing I had realized this before I got everything all buttoned back up again. Unfortunately, no real parts shops here in San Diego that I know of where I can take the pump into to find

I was looking at replacing the gasket on my water pump, others on forum suggested I replace the pump as well considering it's Pain to get in there, so I did. Did you use gasket paste at all??

I ddnt use any gasket paste but considered it. However it does appear to be leaking from a slightly different area, and the leak is considerable less, leading me to believe that there were two leaks and I fixed one with the gasket. Well time to strip everything down and wait for a water pump to arrive. Anyone have a line on one in the states

The part that toyodiy shows for the replacement water pump is 16100-59105, but it shows through 08/88 build date. Will this for a 10/88 build date or is there a different part number for this

The part that toyodiy shows for the replacement water pump is 16100-59105, but it shows through 08/88 build date. Will this for a 10/88 build date or is there a different part number for this

16100-59105 is the pump for a domestic market BJ7# right through from from Nov 84 to Jan 1990

And the gasket by itself is 16271-56031

Well that's what my info tells me anyway..

:beer:

Well I went ahead and put an order in for a new water pump from SOR since they are "local" and get parts to me pretty quick. So heres hoping for the best

Well I went ahead and put an order in for a new water pump from SOR since they are "local" and get parts to me pretty quick. So heres hoping for the best

Good luck DSC

Of course the new pump should come with a new gasket (and perhaps some new bolts too)..

As I recall, the last gasket I put on my 2977cc B was essentially a paper one but with soft metal (copper, aluminium or whatever) surrounding the water port (which makes this part a "crush seal").

In fact I have a pic of a B pump together with this gasket (and the replacement bolts Toyota supplied) here:
Waterpump1.jpg

And I do recall that I had to be careful during fitment to avoid damaging the gasket.

In fact I wrecked one gasket and had to order another at one time.. And I think that was from wiggling the pump around trying to get a tricky short hose onto its one of its spigots (through not thinking out the correct/safest fitment sequence beforehand).

Maybe I learnt to glue/stick the gasket to the block prior to bringing pump up to it too (rather than trying to hold the gasket in the correct position on the pump by having it hanging on the mounting bolts (which are prone to sliding too far back out of the pump-holes as you wiggle the pump into place and thus prone to letting the gasket slip off those bolts and thereby slide away from its correct position......????

....The new gasket that came in was metal. I scraped the old gasket and replaced. It appears to be leaking from the same place but it is hard to tell. ...

Does this mean your leaking gasket was of all metal construction?

If so.. Perhaps Toyota changed the design from the last one I fitted? :meh:

Last edited:
UPDATE: got the new pump, gasket, clutch fan, radiator fan, and radiator hoses installed. No leaks and appears to run much cooler. Thank god.

Yes the gasket was all metal. I really need to get in the habit of taking pictures to help the next guy out.

Now onto the steering (leaky steering knuckles and worn u-joints)

Good job DSC

:clap:

Speaking of helping the next guy out, I have the oppurtunity to replace a leaking water pump on my 89 BJ74. If anyone has any other tips, tricks or pointers they would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a bit of a hack mechanic and the last water pump I replaced was about 20 years ago on a miata!

Thanks!

Speaking of helping the next guy out, I have the oppurtunity to replace a leaking water pump on my 89 BJ74. If anyone has any other tips, tricks or pointers they would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a bit of a hack mechanic and the last water pump I replaced was about 20 years ago on a miata!

Thanks!

These are pretty simple to replace. Just make sure you do a good job of cleaning the mating surface and remove all of the old gasket. A wire wheel is your friend.

I know it’s been a while since this started but I’m having issues finding a water pump for a 88 bj74 13bt anyone know where I can get one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom