Need some help: Water pump and pulley differences and adding power steering (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steve Abbott

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm new to land cruisers and I'm in the process of freshening up the'65 FJ40 that I picked up a while back. When I bought it, it had a crappy no power SBC in it and a cracked 3 sp transfer case. I pulled that out and bought what i thought was a '78 2F engine, 4 sp trans and TC. The engine has been completely rebuilt and I installed a new water pump based on what I thought the engine year and model was. I just realized that the new pump I have is a different depth (about 4.83" to the flange face) and has a different bolt spacing (1.75" side to side) than the old one (about 5.375" deep & 1.5" bolt spacing) that came on the engine. The fan that came on the used engine was a non-clutch made of steel. Also, the old pump is made of steel and the new one is aluminum. In researching the differences, it appears that different years/models had different depth water pumps with different bolt spacing on the flange and different fans. It also appears that the shallower depth water pumps were for clutch style fans, I think. I'm starting to think that my engine wasn't a '78 OR that someone made some changes along the way to the water pump and pulley OR the engine is a '78 but came out of a different model Land Cruiser (maybe a 60?). Either way, I need to figure out what year parts I have and what I need.

To make things more confusing, I also need to add a power steering pump to the 2F (a saginaw box was already installed on the frame when I bought it) and need to get the right combination of pulley, water pump, harmonic balancer, PS pump/pulley & bracket so that all the pulleys line up. There is no air pump. I have read several threads on this forum trying to figure this all out, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to what works with what. I'm thinking I need to get a different water pump that works with the single groove water pump pulley and the 2 groove harmonic balancer that came on the engine. If so, what year/model water pump do I need to get the taller pump with the smaller flange bolt spacing?

Regarding the PS pump, I assume that I just drive the PS pump directly using the 2nd groove on the harmonic balancer or do I need a double groove pulley on the water pump and run one belt from crank to water pump to PS pump and back to crank and the 2nd belt from crank to alternator to water pump and back to crank??? Is there a particular PS pump & pulley that works best in this application? I have seen several different part numbers thrown around for both the pump and the pulley. Also, who still makes a PS pump bracket that will work with this setup? Sorry for all of the questions but any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

You can pull your new water pump flange off the water pump shaft with a simple puller, 2 or 3 jaw. And slide your old flange on in it's place. That may solve one problem...

I'm running a Saginaw Plump on a '76ish 2F. I use, and recommend, a 2 groove water pump pulley.
For the pump mount, there are several. If you do have a later 2F, out of a 60, you may already have threaded holes in the block for a power steering pump (I don't). If you do, Georg (OrangeFJ45) a 'Mud vendor sells a mount specifically for this application.

You can pull your new water pump flange off the water pump shaft with a simple puller, 2 or 3 jaw. And slide your old flange on in it's place. That may solve one problem...

I thought about that but the new water pump is taller that the old one so I think the pulley would be out of line with harmonic the balancer pulley. I need to figure out what year/model has the shorter pump with the smaller diameter bolt pattern.

I'm running a Saginaw Plump on a '76ish 2F. I use, and recommend, a 2 groove water pump pulley.
For the pump mount, there are several. If you do have a later 2F, out of a 60, you may already have threaded holes in the block for a power steering pump (I don't). If you do, Georg (OrangeFJ45) a 'Mud vendor sells a mount specifically for this application.

I wonder if there is a way to tell what 2F I have based on the casting #s on the block? So with the dual groove pulley, did you route the belts like I mentioned above? What is the depth and bolt spacing of your water pump? I may need the same pump you have. Thanks for the lead on a bracket, I'll check with him. I have a couple of sets of threaded holes on the lower left side near the front of the block. I attached a pic of these holes - are any of these holes the ones you are talking about? Thanks!

block.jpg

block.jpg

I wonder if there is a way to tell what 2F I have based on the casting #s on the block? So with the dual groove pulley, did you route the belts like I mentioned above? What is the depth and bolt spacing of your water pump? I may need the same pump you have. Thanks for the lead on a bracket, I'll check with him. I have a couple of sets of threaded holes on the lower left side nea . r the front of the block. I attached a pic of these holes - are any of these holes the ones you are talking about? Thanks!

View attachment 2322397

View attachment 2322382
Casting numbers i don't know, but the stamped engine number can give you a good idea of the year.
Yes, I have one belt to the PS pump and one to the alt, both pass over crank and water pump.
Also, be aware when shopping waterpumps, you may have a choice between with oil cooler or without oil cooler.
I don't think any of those holes are for a power steering pump. Lower holes, I think we're for the smog pump, further back maybe EGR cooler?

The lower, forward holes are where a Saginaw pump would ideally mount. IIRC @Pighead has one of my pump mount brackets on his 55.

IIRC @Pighead has one of my pump mount brackets on his 55.
No, Pighead does not. Pighead did try, twice, to make those mounts work, but there is something about a Pig that does not like that mount. Pighead forgets what was in the way, maybe an inner fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom