Need some help PLEEZZZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heres the story.....6 months ago I took the gas tank out of my running cruiser. I put it back in today and tried to start it up.... nothing. I looked into the carb and their was no fuel getting to it. I thought there may have not been enough gas in the tank.... so I filled it up, but nothing. It will not start. It seems the fuel pump isnt working. Tis is weird because it worked fine when the tank was removed. It is a stock pump on a 350 chevy (carbed). Any help fixing or any reason why this happened would be appreciated. Thanks!

Did you get the fuel delivery and return lines switched? Fuel flows out of the delivery line by gravity.

For how long did you turn it over? It will take a while to suck the fuel back up to the carb.

Dump a little gas down the carb, and start it up....

May need to repeat this a couple times..

It will go.

Good luck!

-Steve

I tried to start it for about 45 seconds... nothing. How much gas should I pour into the carb to get it started? All of the tank lines are correct.

THis may seem wierd, but I did the same thing - here was my tests:

1. With it cranking make sure the fuel pump is sucking.
2. If so, then remove the fuel feed line on the carb, is the fuel pump blowing?
3. If so, then, again, go back to the line that feeds into the pump and lightly suck on the line. Barely sucking on it you will feel either air or resistance with liquid.
4. If you get air - one of your lines is not hooked up correctly or there is a severe crack in the line. If you get reisistance but no fuel - there is a pinch in the line.
5. If you get fuel - pump is bad.....
6. If you have gas - quit eating beans and ham.

Start 'working' through the system.....

I found a bad pump! Even though there was slight suction - there just was not enough!

Good luck,

Ragman

john0089 said:
I tried to start it for about 45 seconds... nothing. How much gas should I pour into the carb to get it started? All of the tank lines are correct.

Start with a shot glass full....

Then perhaps give it two shots...

Hold the throttle open when you crank, and it should fire right up.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom