Need some help... P0171 Code coming and going (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's interesting in your case. Is only the P0171. Even though I suspected fuel starvation. Typically I'd look for both bank 1 and 2 (P0171 & P0174) to indicate a fuel starvation issue, due to fuel delivery. I'm confident the fuel pump and filter did solve your issue, at least enough. But I suspect you've more to consider.

You said "Fuel injector cleaner (part of my regular PM)". Consider sending to someone like FIS. Also consider replacing fuel pressure regulator, considering mileage and your MPG drop.

I did not see you mention spark plugs.
This is good food for thought for me. I have a new fuel filter and newish fuel pump and still can't kick the P0171. I also have fresh plugs!

Also look for vacuum leaks. This includes intake manifold (IM) gaskets and the seal at base of fuel injectors in IM.

Also look for vacuum leaks. This includes intake manifold (IM) gaskets and the seal at base of fuel injectors in IM.
My search-fu must be weak! Is there a write up for the fuel injector seals?

Last edited:
For others looking for what to do about P0171:
I can't stress this enough, but learn how fuel trims work, and look at your STFT and LTFT while driving, before throwing parts at it. Just google for lots of explanations. Bootlegged toyota techstream will tell you the FTs, but its a hassle to use on a laptop, and I found it easier to use some free program called ‘car scanner' I think and looked at 'all sensors' with my ipad and the cheapo elm327 reader.
I have a whole thread about it, but I found that the P0171 was actually lying, and I was really lean on Bank 2 instead, but only under load. I then checked Bank 2 upstream sensor, and found it loose in threads. Went ahead and used a new sensor while I was under there, got it in tight, and all fuel trims were back normal and CEL is not coming back.

Last edited:
For others that maybe battling P0171- Do not start throwing parts at it.

Find the fuel delivery issue, or the vac leak. Smoke test can be a huge help, especially if they have die infused smoke.

I have been looking for this vac leak for many months - turns out the injector grommets were cracked. This seems to be rarely mentioned, but becoming more common as the vehicles age.

LTFT were at 20% at idle for both banks. After new injector grommets- LTFT are at 6%. Much better, but not perfect.

Injector grommets can be replaced without pulling intake manifold. You just have to loosen the 4 fuel rail nuts on top, the 10mm bolt on front of intake, and 2x 10mm bolts on rear of intake.

Here are the old grommets. The new injector grommets are not an identical match to the shape of the originals. There has been a design change or supersede over the years.

8x, Fuel Injector Grommet: 23291-41010

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.07.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.07.41 AM.png

For others that maybe battling P0171- Do not start throwing parts at it.

Find the fuel delivery issue, or the vac leak. Smoke test can be a huge help, especially if they have die infused smoke.

I have been looking for this vac leak for many months - turns out the injector grommets were cracked. This seems to be rarely mentioned, but becoming more common as the vehicles age.

LTFT were at 20% at idle for both banks. After new injector grommets- LTFT are at 6%. Much better, but not perfect.

Injector grommets can be replaced without pulling intake manifold. You just have to loosen the 4 fuel rail nuts on top, the 10mm bolt on front of intake, and 2x 10mm bolts on rear of intake.

Here are the old grommets. The new injector grommets are not an identical match to the shape of the originals. There has been a design change or supersede over the years.

8x, Fuel Injector Grommet: 23291-41010

View attachment 3186433
View attachment 3186434
Smoke test is a great advice. Mine was caused by the aftermarket intake gaskets put on by a careless shop when they replaced the started for my old 98.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom