need some help guys! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alwright heres the situation felow cruizer feinds , my brother took my rig to a mech. to have the starter changed on my 87 fj60 (i was out of town) ok so so it cranks up fine ! but now it wont start or run unless i have the choke on!

i no one thing has nothing to do with the other but F@#$! what gives she ran fine before he took it in! i spoke to the mech and he siad to bring it back in but i dont like anybody but me working on my rig but myself! my brother ment well and all but now im stuck trying to dignose this problem... im thinking theres some sort of vacume port loose or disc.!??! what do you guyz think out there ?

any suggestions? :mad:

thz 4 the sugg. swank . but its deff. not vapor lock.

gumby you mentioned idle selonoid how can i check that , and where do i find this devise? :idea:

do fj60's have idle selonoid switches/valves?

The idle solinoid on a 60 is on the top of the carb on the right rear corner, IIRC. It's a round thing stuck in the carb with two wires coming out. One is power and one is ground. The wires go around the front of the carb and terminate in a round green connector that continues to the driver's fender. Take a test light or volt meter and check for power and ground on the harness side.

If you do have power and ground, you can take the solinoid out of the carb. It just unscrews. Cover the hole with your finger and have someone start the engine. If it idles fine, it's the solinoid itself.

If you do not have power, you'll need to find out where the problem is. On the early 60 series, the power came from the alternator on the b/y wire. I don't have my later model book here at home, so I can't be sure on yours. If you do not have ground, I think it grounds through the emissions computer on the Green wire. Again, looking at the right wiring diagram would help there. You can temporarily jumper those wires from the carb to ignition sourced power and any ground to find out if it's working.

Quick way to check for power.

With key on engine off, separate the connector and listen for the solenoid to click off then click back on when reconnected.

They disconnected the negative side of the battery to change out the starter. You may want to check that the battery terminals are making good contact too.

thanx alot every one! seems like the jerk that worked on the starter hacked a wire on the battery cable that connects to the idle valve switch on the carb? :confused: :eek: :mad: :frown:

The idle problem and the starter replacement are related... when the mechanic is changing out the starter, he disconnects the battery. If the hot lead accidentally grounds, or if the poles are reversed - even for a second, the fusible link at the battery will blow. Then the fuel cutoff solenoid will not operate. You can start, but not idle without some throttle.

I suspect this is what happened. Get a new fusible link for a few bucks and plug it in. Start the truck and see if it idles correctly.

Mike -
Will it even start with the fusible link blown? I thought the link(s) provided power for everything except the starter.

there should be three wires going to starter, two big one small. check to see if they were all re-attached.

fusible link on battery is burnt one of the wires on the link is broken it also seems like starter isnt grounded :eek:

im going to ground starter and i just ordered the link from cruiserparts :cool:
hopefully that would do the trick!

thx again everyone out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

yet another prime example as to why it pays to wrench on your own rig.... no offense to your brother's good intentions

-db-

Gumby said:
Starter is bolted to the block. It doesn't need to be grounded. Is there a frame or body ground that happens to bolt to a starter bolt on yours?

yeah there is a cable bolted on the inside of my frame that is now just hanging there and im pretty sure the other end was bolted on to my old starter .....

Tinker said:
Mike -
Will it even start with the fusible link blown? I thought the link(s) provided power for everything except the starter.

Yes. The starter (as you note) is a separate connection. You said that the starter works OK, Freeborn, so the fusilble link is most likely the problem...

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom