Need some help from others eyes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am setting up a time to go look at this truck. So I will be able to look closer and get better pictures. Also I am sure I will get beat up about the rust but I am in Wisconsin and will never be able to keep it rust free. I don't think it is that bad based on being in the midwest. I can do some mitigation if I do buy it. Anyways here are some photos am I missing anything basic?

Things I see:
No spare
Needs new front skid
AHC fluid look low
No timing belt sticker
Cap for AC line is missing

Thanks for any insight in advance

118239961_2713912072211278_1298823015100735527_n.jpg

119233641_322701198943938_7045277972260683996_n.jpg

119460058_782149655905034_7794913030596322077_n.jpg

119515446_747693349399769_4073785262791648167_n.jpg

119444619_1196694574035897_2209983230041658445_n.jpg

That looks pretty clean for a WI truck. I grew up north of Milwaukee, and no holes in the fenders means they took pretty good care of it!

Run a carfax. My truck doesn't have a timing belt sticker,either, but it was reflected in the carfax.

It looks like you'll need a new spare cable system, unless you plan on installing a rear bumper/carrier.

I did run a carfax and lexus history, was in Virginia for 8 years then 6 years in Illinois. Carfax showed sold maintenance up to 2015 then pretty limited. Salvage title because vehicle was stolen. Carfax and owner confirm no accidents. 2 owner vehicle. I will take the discount for the salvaged title. Don't care about the resale as I would keep it until it dies. All concerns but the price will reflect those downfalls.

Looks pretty clean WI. Coat the underneath with FluidFilm or some such and it will last a long time.

Again thanks of the rust insight but wanted to know more on other items to look closer at when I go down.

current list:
Look for timing belt evidence (owner said it was done but no proof to send me online)
Missing hardware on skid plate
Spire tire cable broke off, and missing spare
Missing cap on AC line (just lost or took off because of cooling problems and never put back on) Check AC
Hose clap on radiator hose not OEM
Check AHC levels and amount of fluid flow (owner said it is working fine)
Did confirmed No lights on the dash well running

Looks nice. A missing spare tire winch is a solid excuse for a rear tire carrier!

Sometimes the TB sticker is here (you'll need to remove the engine cover to see it, but it's really easy to do):
IMG_20200727_150011.jpg

Mine was missing skid plate bolts too. Easy to buy some more and replace.

How are the ball joints and suspension bushings?

Looks nice. A missing spare tire winch is a solid excuse for a rear tire carrier!

Sometimes the TB sticker is here (you'll need to remove the engine cover to see it, but it's really easy to do):View attachment 2438473

Mine was missing skid plate bolts too. Easy to buy some more and replace.

How are the ball joints and suspension bushings?

Thanks I will look there for it. Don't know on the ball joints or bushings haven't looked at it yet, just making my list of what to look at.

Check for any indication of windshield leaks in the front floorboard. Look for rust on the upper rear hatch where the license plate lights are. Make sure it has a master key.

Techstream is a great tool to have when buying a used Toyota. There could be pending codes or other faults that don't trigger a light.

Ensure the AHC lines are NOT rusty

CB2CDC03-CE16-4792-934C-43687CAD7EB9.png
6E9707EC-1203-44F9-A827-DF9542A5966C.png
I have seen stolen cars without Salvage title, is that a state by state thing or did it end up in a river?

Last edited:
I have seen stolen cars without Salvage title, is that a state by state thing or did it end up in a river?

it is a state by state thing:

The following states issue a salvage-title after a vehicle has been stolen: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma and Oregon.
In the case of a theft recovered car that has a salvage title, it is often a great decision to purchase such a vehicle. When a car is missing for three weeks (or 30 days in some cases), the owner’s insurance company will pay off the cost of the vehicle. The car is then titled a “total loss.” When it is found and recovered, it’s then titled a “salvage” vehicle. This leaves some salvage vehicles without any damage at all.

it is a state by state thing:

The following states issue a salvage-title after a vehicle has been stolen: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma and Oregon.
In the case of a theft recovered car that has a salvage title, it is often a great decision to purchase such a vehicle. When a car is missing for three weeks (or 30 days in some cases), the owner’s insurance company will pay off the cost of the vehicle. The car is then titled a “total loss.” When it is found and recovered, it’s then titled a “salvage” vehicle. This leaves some salvage vehicles without any damage at all.

The above example was a Florida car. Does that mean it should have had a salvage title?

*edit* Found the answer, in FL the vehicle must have sustained 80% of its value in damages.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Check over the front end and the power steering reservoir. From a distance and with the picture angle, it looks low.

Hopefully all the parts under those skid plates aren’t rusted. Interesting they even though the spare tire holder is rusted the body floor looks pretty good. Both of mine were badly rusted so interesting to see one vs the other. A lot of the rusty components look like things you can replace as you upgrade (if that was your plan) like sway bars, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom