Need some help for identify a CV axle (OEM or not) ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I plan to buy that 199 dollar reboot kit with an outboard to rebuild my passenger side CV axle, but I am worrying it is not an OEM one.
I am sure its dust cover is OEM, with a TG mark. etc. But the strip on the outboard is not green/yellow, don't know if it just loses color overtime...
I have a new OEM on the driver side, you could see from the pic below, some detail of the passenger side inboard dust cover is different, and also it has a serial number "3K14B".
If there is a possibility that the cv axle 17 years ago has different details?
If it is not OEM, could I still use that 199 dollar rebuild kit on it?
Thanks for any suggestion.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.47.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.49.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.50.30 AM.png

I have OEM axles, don’t recall seeing any stamped markings on them though. I would not worry about the band not being yellow — could be an OEM axle was rebanded at some point with an aftermarket clamp. I recommend replacing your clamps with worm drive clamps if you are rebuilding anyway.

What $199 rebuild kit are you referring to? I did mine for less than $50 per side.

Edit: I assume you are going with the kit that comes with a new outer half shaft rather than only boots?

I have OEM axles, don’t recall seeing any stamped markings on them though. I would not worry about the band not being yellow — could be an OEM axle was rebanded at some point with an aftermarket clamp. I recommend replacing your clamps with worm drive clamps if you are rebuilding anyway.

What $199 rebuild kit are you referring to? I did mine for less than $50 per side.

Edit: I assume you are going with the kit that comes with a new outer half shaft rather than only boots?
Thanks.

I rebuild kit I mentioned is: 43460-69036 - Genuine Toyota SHAFT ASSEMBLY,OUTBOARD - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~shaft~assy~front~drive~outboard~joint~rh~43460-69036.html

I am worried about if this kit will work for my "mystery" old axle...

I also need to mention that even the location of the series number is different but the pattern of those numbers is the same "0j22x" vs "3k14b".

Is there something wrong with your outboard shaft or joint that you are replacing it?

No, or I did not tell. I just replaced my upper and lower ball joint, bearing, so I want to do it at the same time and hopefully not come back again...such a pain...

No, or I did not tell. I just replaced my upper and lower ball joint, bearing, so I want to do it at the same time and hopefully not come back again...such a pain...
If there is nothing wrong with it, then just reboot. Or if you really want to save time then replace the whole axle. The only time I’d replace just the outer half shaft is if I knew for sure there was something wrong with it (and I knew for sure that the inner was fine).

If there is nothing wrong with it, then just reboot. Or if you really want to save time then replace the whole axle. The only time I’d replace just the outer half shaft is if I knew for sure there was something wrong with it (and I knew for sure that the inner was fine).
Thanks, this makes sense. I just a little unwilling, and also the OEM one just raised its price this week about 55 dollars more...
yeah~, I am not sure the inner was fine...

Yeah they are pricey for sure. I would say just reboot if nothing is wrong. Or if the boots are fine then maybe don’t do anything at all! I would at least replace the clamps with worm-drive type, though. I would not replace just the outer half shaft.

Logic would suggest that if an OEM axle has a lifespan of x miles, then a new half shaft would also have a lifespan of x miles. If you replace just the outer half shaft then you will have a mismatched axle — the inner would still be expected to fail at x miles, but the outer will still be in relatively good shape at that time. However, Toyota does not sell the inner half shaft by itself so when that happens you will have to purchase the entire shaft new anyway….

Only situation where I would replace just the outer half shaft: A Harrowing Tale of Incompetence - How I destroyed a steering knuckle - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-harrowing-tale-of-incompetence-how-i-destroyed-a-steering-knuckle.1191667/

Edit: Just looked at your pics again, I would at least reboot/regrease/reclamp. Looks like you've oozed a good amount of grease. Plus, by opening up the boot you can get a good feel for the actual condition the joint is in.

Yeah they are pricey for sure. I would say just reboot if nothing is wrong. Or if the boots are fine then maybe don’t do anything at all! I would at least replace the clamps with worm-drive type, though. I would not replace just the outer half shaft.

Logic would suggest that if an OEM axle has a lifespan of x miles, then a new half shaft would also have a lifespan of x miles. If you replace just the outer half shaft then you will have a mismatched axle — the inner would still be expected to fail at x miles, but the outer will still be in relatively good shape at that time. However, Toyota does not sell the inner half shaft by itself so when that happens you will have to purchase the entire shaft new anyway….

Only situation where I would replace just the outer half shaft: A Harrowing Tale of Incompetence - How I destroyed a steering knuckle - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-harrowing-tale-of-incompetence-how-i-destroyed-a-steering-knuckle.1191667/

Edit: Just looked at your pics again, I would at least reboot/regrease/reclamp. Looks like you've oozed a good amount of grease. Plus, by opening up the boot you can get a good feel for the actual condition the joint is in.
Thanks for mention this. Now the outer replacement would be a very bad choice. They do sell the inner, but about 350, then it is not worth at all...

I end up with a brand new OEM CV again.
Funny story at this moment, when I return the CV core to Toyota, I use an Amazon box for it, then the Toyota parts guy told me that "we can not issue you refund if I did not receive the original box". Then I have to back home again grab the original box and took back my 40 dollars from them after that. It means, Toyota want to pay 40 for that box, not really for the CV core, because they said that they don't care what brand core you return to them...

I end up with a brand new OEM CV again.
Funny story at this moment, when I return the CV core to Toyota, I use an Amazon box for it, then the Toyota parts guy told me that "we can not issue you refund if I did not receive the original box". Then I have to back home again grab the original box and took back my 40 dollars from them after that. It means, Toyota want to pay 40 for that box, not really for the CV core, because they said that they don't care what brand core you return to them...
You get a core refund when you bring your axle back to the Toyota dealer? It’s only $40 but $40 is $40. I just didn’t know they did that. Did you buy from a local dealer? How much were they? My local dealer is always stupid expensive on stuff compared to buying online.

The core charge at Toyota is a newish thing for the 100. From my experience, requiring the core return in the original box is pretty standard practice for Toyota and many other companies.

You get a core refund when you bring your axle back to the Toyota dealer? It’s only $40 but $40 is $40. I just didn’t know they did that. Did you buy from a local dealer? How much were they? My local dealer is always stupid expensive on stuff compared to buying online.
What they do is they have inStore price which much higher, and they have online price with discount at the same time. I purchase online but local pick-up, around 450 after core return. Means you have to pay around 500 firstly. The reason I said "around" because discount is changing over time, first one comes 430 after core return. Second is 485 after core.

But they definitely only care about the box, either you call it standard process or not, they said it directly to me: any axle would be fine we don't care!!!

The core charge at Toyota is a newish thing for the 100. From my experience, requiring the core return in the original box is pretty standard practice for Toyota and many other companies.
And the employees of Toyota parts department probably feel much more proud of their job with so many OEM fans like us who glad to pay 500 axle for their 20 years old trucks and also glad to return their boxes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom