1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help fixing a broken SST

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by iptman, Jul 1, 2017.

1. iptman

iptman SILVER Star

Hello everyone,

I was borrowing @SuperDuperCruizer 's steering geerbox SSTs and as I was trying to remove the adjusting plug my vice swiveled on me and I sheered one of the pins. Unfortunately this tool is $215 from OTC so after talking with Robert he thought it'd be possible to find some hardened steel rods, drill a couple holes and press in the rods. Does anyone have an idea where I can source hardened steel rods? I'll also need some help with the machine work. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

IMG_20170701_132235046.jpg

2. OTRAMM

OTRAMM Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    MSCdirect.com or mcmaster carr will have drill rod. You can buy air or oil hardening. Cut it, grind it and then heat it up and quench it for full hardness.

Stumpalama and iptman like this.
  3. iptman

iptman SILVER Star

Thanks Ryan.

4. OTRAMM

OTRAMM Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    You could probably use hardened dowel pins also. They'd be easier to get in the proper length.

5. iptman

iptman SILVER Star

It looks like the pins are 1/8" diameter. Will a 1/8" dowel pin fit in a 1/8" drilled hole, press fit? Or should I get the .001" oversized pins?

McMaster-Carr

or

McMaster-Carr

6. OTRAMM

OTRAMM Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Your drilled holes will be sloppy and slightly oversized. If you want a true 1/8" hole you'd have to drill and then ream to size. I'd go slightly oversized dowel if you want it tight.