Need some guidance here........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a 1996 80 series that has 34,000 miles on it that I'm told is in mint condition. Has lockers as well. What is the most a person should pay for it given the fact that I'm guessing it will probably run another 100,000 miles before any significant money will need to be spent in repairs? Before anyone chimes in with "whatever the market will bring or whatever a person is willing to pay", I'm asking for opinions of what people here would pay for it if in the market for one? I know book is roughly $17,200 according to my bank, but they aren't always realistic with enthusiast vehicles.

For the technical questions:

At what mileage can a person expect to begin seeing significant/major parts failures?

What parts have others seen fail first, and what are the warning signs?

What, if any issues, should I look for in a 10 year old 80 with 34,000 miles?

Would an 80 with higher miles be a better option for less money? We plan on keeping it for the next 10 years at 10,000 miles/yr. mileage accumulation.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

That's what I paid for my LX450 two years ago with the same mileage. Low miles is no guarantee of no repairs, sitting can be hard on them too.

As Tools R Us stated, a ten year old truck with that mileage did a lot of sitting, and that can be as hard on it or harder then being driven regularly.

Also, if you are looking at a truck out of Florida with those miles thats on a lot, be wary. I believe the company name is Car Search USA or something like that. Anyhow, they have been known to pull a "bait and switch" and misrepresent the trucks they are selling.

Bottom line, be cautious.

FWIW - I personally would try and find one with more miles (= Driven often) for less money (= more $$ left over for repairs when needed). To me, the market on SUV's is pretty soft right now, you should be able to find some sweet deals.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. The Cruiser isn't out of Florida, but I'll be wary of those guys. What type of problems occur from sitting? i'm imagining things like seal shrinkage, etc. but may not be thinking of others I should be aware of. I almost picked up a 95 with 55K on it in AZ for $17,500, but felt it was too high given the questionable maintenance it may have required in the near future.

my buddy just picked up a 97 40th with 12X,XXX mile for $10,XXX. no lockers. most of those calculators (kbb etc. ) get a little crazy on the low mileage credits. no way is that rig worth anywhere near $17K.

Yeah I agree, although someone from Florida offered up the full $17,500 and the rest is history. I guess it may be a case of more money than brains......

78crzr said:
Yeah I agree, although someone from Florida offered up the full $17,500 and the rest is history. I guess it may be a case of more money than brains......

Compare as many resources as possible. Look at KBB, Ebay (look at completed listings), NADA and the local paper to find what a cars value may be. New paper listings are asking price. Window sticker on used car lots are asking price. Ebay completed listings are the final bid and sale price. Asking prices are all over the place (usually very high) in the classifieds. I use KBB (not sure how close they are to real world sale prices though) and Ebay most often.

The bank numbers I have been given on past purchases have been incredibly high. They are in the business of lending money. They hope you pay too much for a car. Interest!

I dont think I would ever buy a car that costs more than $5000. I will never finance another vehical. (My poor wife :frown: ).

Although it's a moot point now...

I'd probably pay $17k for a mint locked 80 series wiht under 35k miles.

Agreed.

Where else are you going to go to find a comperable vehicle?

You certainly won't find a comperable "new" vehicle, at any price.

I am with Doug and Cdan. Buy with that many miles, do a complete fluid change etc and drive for 200,000 more miles, just doing preventative maintenance. Pretty easy decision.
Cheers,
Sean

There's a locked 95 in Sweetwater (just west of Abilene), 126k miles, lockers that is for sale at 8850. It's definately not mint on the interior, not to bad on the exterior. The listing is ion autotrader and I've talked to the dealer and have extra pics if you want to see them.

If a car can go upwards of 250k miles without major problems, why pay twice as much (or more) for lower mileage? If you have 17.5k to spend but only spend 9k...that leaves lots o cash for the repairs and the mods.

wookieking said:
If you have 17.5k to spend but only spend 9k...that leaves lots o cash for the repairs and the mods.

Or savings towards property that will appreciate. ;)

I do not disagree with a good deal on a higher-mileage unit. That being said, there is a bit of charm associated with buying one with less than 40,000 miles on it. Remember these things sold for right at 50 grand new (96-7 anyway, mine was 40) and with miles in that range the vehicle is still almost new.

There is a 97 here in town with right at 30k on it and I would like to have it. Unfortunately it is not locked.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I'm still a little torn, but since it will be a for my wife as a grocery getter and kid hauler, "pink panties" will do fine. It won't be modded or taken off road for a while, at least until I steal it when she isn't looking!

Cruiserdan,

Any details on the one there locally with 30K on the clock? The one I'm considering has lockers, but I'm not requiring them.

Thanks!

Did I just hear someone drop a pair of knitting needles?.......

DougM

IdahoDoug,

Rest assured, it's not damn likely! No knitting needles here......I've got an 05 4WD Tahoe LT for getting where I need to go to deer and bird hunt....I don't have a need to drive whatever she gets, hence the "no need for lockers" and "pink panties for her" statement.

Thanks for checking though!!!

78crzr said:
IdahoDoug,

Rest assured, it's not damn likely! No knitting needles here......I've got an 05 4WD Tahoe LT for getting where I need to go to deer and bird hunt....I don't have a need to drive whatever she gets, hence the "no need for lockers" and "pink panties for her" statement.

Thanks for checking though!!!

Just make sure you NEVER EVER EVER take her LX to the deer stand....

you will never want to give it back...:D

78crzr said:
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I'm still a little torn, but since it will be a for my wife as a grocery getter and kid hauler, "pink panties" will do fine. It won't be modded or taken off road for a while, at least until I steal it when she isn't looking!

Cruiserdan,

Any details on the one there locally with 30K on the clock? The one I'm considering has lockers, but I'm not requiring them.

Thanks!

It's not for sale, that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom